Dark Knight-Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Knight-Opinions

So I couldn't resist seeing the new Batman movie, the Dark Knight, over the weekend. It got almost universial praise from critics, made 200 million dollars in 5 days, and is rated as the no. 1 movie on IMDB. I won't give away any of the plot since some people probably have not seen it, but for those who have seen it I just wanted to see their reaction to it. I thought it was really good, but I think it is being overpraised. Any thoughts?

I haven't seen it but does Christian Bale still speak in his "i own the world' voice, with overexpressed lip movement?

Comment

Well he has his Batman voice, and his smug billonaire playboy Bruce Wayne voice, essentially unchanged from the first movie

Comment

haha ok, then ill rent it on dvd

Comment

oh and was Keith Ledger's performance as powerful as the Australian media portrayed it to be?

Comment

Originally posted by s_qwert63 View Post
            oh and was Keith Ledger's performance as powerful as the Australian media portrayed it to be?
            Yes, Heath Ledger gave a performance for the ages. The Joker was dark, twisted, evil, deranged, sadistic, yet completely in charge of his faculties at the same time. I understand why he said he had trouble sleeping after playing the Joker. Heath just might get an Academy Award for his final, complete performance.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

cool, joker was always me favourite.

Comment

Looks like a posthomous Oscar might be in store for Heath Ledger

As for the movie, its very good, but hey, its certainly not "the no.1 movie" IMO, in fact, I believe the movie is overhyped because of Ledger's death.
                When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                  Looks like a posthomous Oscar might be in store for Heath Ledger

As for the movie, its very good, but hey, its certainly not "the no.1 movie" IMO, in fact, I believe the movie is overhyped because of Ledger's death.
                  I thought that it is being overhyped because of his death as well. I was not a fan of his acting and was skeptical of his performance going in, but I admit he was really good. Oscar-worthy? I don't know, let's wait and see what other movies are out there before we award it to Heath.

Comment

From my post on the same topic on another board:

"Saw it last night and my one-word, first impression is that it is ... overstuffed. I think someone already used that in a previous post but that's what I kept thinking - I didn't like the editing because it rode hard on the tail end of dialogue and reaction shots that I feel needed some pauses and transitions.

A very busy movie, visually and otherwise.

I liked it but I think I'll like it more in the DVD player where I can pause when I need a sec.

All that said, I agree with the guy who said "see it". Also let me say that I've been rolling my eyes at all this Heath Ledger stuff for months now. I couldn't have picked him out of a crowd of two, probably, and figured all this raving about his Joker was just hype.

But I was wrong - he really made The Joker into something both terrifying and watchable.

And the score was once again really good.

And the trailer for Watchmen made me happy in my pants. :)

-dale"

Comment

the poli scientist in me found a dark humor in the prisoner's dilenmas which the Joker liked to pose.

all in all, a great movie, rather darker than i thought it would be- eason chan doing a cameo in the beginning sort of lulled me.

the actors did a great job, but the Joker really eclipsed them all, including the batman. that's pretty hard to do.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The movie was ****ing awesome!! Heath Ledger as the Joke should be in the Top 10 Greatest Villains of all time.

He was so fricking believable but sadistic and murdering psychopath. His performance was so awesome that he literally was the movie star and carried the entire movie on his shoulders. Even when Batman was on the scene, whenever Joker was there, he commanded the scene.

He actually made me root for the good guys for once.

It is my opinion that Heath Ledger should receive an Oscar nomination for his stellar performance.

Comment

And the trailer for Watchmen made me happy in my pants.
                          Yeah, that's going to be a kick-ass movie and the Spirit is coming out too. Looks like DC is finally getting some decent comic movies out to challenge Marvel. :)

Comment

TDK was definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen.

The movie definitely appealed to me both as a political scientist and on the philosophic levels. The concept of the innate conflict between order vs. justice allowed the film to transcend from a comic book bloated action spectacular to an excellent crime thriller.

Comment

Working...
                            X