PDA

View Full Version : Favorite War Movies

TopHatter
19 Sep 03,, 21:58
Thought I'd start a thread on our favorite war movies. I'd like to hear from everybody :)
Some of my all-time favorites are:

Conspiracy - An HBO Original Movie depicting the Wannsee Conference where 15 SS and Nazi party officials laid out the plans for "The Final Solution of the Jewish Question".
This movie can only be described as chilling and horrifying.

The Beast - During the early years of the Soviet invasion of Afgahanistan, a Russian tank is seperated from it's platoon and is lost in the wastelands, pursued by a vengeful band of Mujahadeen.

Saving Private Ryan - Everybody's seen it, right? D-Day never looked so real.

We Were Soldiers - The Air Cav goes into battle for the first time in Vietnam and is pinned down in the Ia Drang Valley by thousands of NVA.

The Final Countdown - A flawed but still entertaining science fiction movie. The USS Nimitz is steaming off Pearl Harbor on December 6 1981 and is drawn into a bizarre electrical storm. The crew later realizes that they are now steaming off Pearl Harbor on December 6 1941.

I've been thinking about writing my own objective reviews for these movies for the Internet Movie DataBase, but I think I'll post them here instead (one of these days)

Officer of Engineers
20 Sep 03,, 05:46
The Longest Day (better than Saving Pvt Ryan - shows you the enormity of what they were trying to do and how little guys made all the difference)
All's Quiet on the Western Front (it's a movie to be survived)
Black Hawk Down (1st time I saw discipline fire and how you stop flinching after 10, 20 rounds)
Waterloo (unbelivable extras)
The Battleship Potemkin (what causes men to break and then regroup)
Stalingrad (in the original German with English subtitles - you have to survive this movie)
A Bridge Too Far (teaches you the side with the fewest mistakes and a matter of luck determines victor and loser).

There's this Russian film about the Teutonic Invasion of Russia but can't recall the details but the knights fell through the ice.

bigross86
20 Sep 03,, 19:21
I know the name of the movie but it slipped my memory. I'll post it tomorrow.

I like:

Hunt for Red October

Behind Enemy Lines

Kelly's Heroes

And a couple others...

Lunatock
21 Sep 03,, 01:32
Blackhawk Down (Still need to see the special edition's commentary & deleted/alternate scenes)

We Were Soldiers

Dirty Dozen

Kelly's Hero's

Saving Private Ryan (Got to see it in the theatres when it came out. Youngest person in the theatre. If that would of happened nowadays. I wouldn't of passed up trying to have a convo w/ any of the possible WW2 Vets that flocked to see it.)

Behind Enemy Lines (Very Hollywoodized. But one of the better ones to be such.)

The Lost Battalion (It was an A & E Movie. but it was still a good one.

All Quiet On The Western Front. (not top notch like BHD or WWS. But it sure as hell wasn't Windtalkers of The Thin Red Line.)

Ray
21 Sep 03,, 05:04
Bridge on the River Kwai.
The Longest Day
A Bridge too Far
The Battle of the River Plate [scuttling of the Graf Spee].

bigross86
21 Sep 03,, 07:20
U-571, Apocalypse Now was also pretty cool.

Ziska
21 Sep 03,, 15:08
Zulu starring Michael Caine would have to be my favourite. The sight of 4000 authentic Zulu extras chanting war cries before charging Rorke's Drift is one of the most emotional scenes in film, especially when the Welsh reply with 'Men of Harlech".

I liked Saving Private Ryan, and Starship Troopers.

Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers were ok, a little... American I guess. :)

Another good one to catch is 300 Spartans. The combat is a bit tacky, and the special effects barely deserving of the name, but the last stand of the Spartans again is a stirring moment.

Oh, and I can't forget Braveheart, even if the shocking historical inaccuaracies grate.

Praxus
21 Sep 03,, 15:39
Stop bitching about America.

What has Tasmania done in the last 9000 years???

Ziska
21 Sep 03,, 15:51
Err, I just thought that Black Hawk Down was a bit... shallow perhaps. Characterisation wasn't really there. It focused only on the one engagement, and I prefer larger picture films generally.

And We Were Soldiers was too nice and simple. It presented both sides as brave warriors, especially Mel Gibsons character. You know, the whole speech he gave before they set off for 'nam was crappy. A lot of Hollywood film sanitize things too much.

And Tasmania hasn't done much the last 9000 years, but the Welsh and English have :)

I don't hate America, but I don't really think much of their films (as in, Hollywood). Compare We Were Soldiers with Saving Private Ryan. Both were american films, one presented the conflict in a more accurate light, IMO.

Again, how could you say I bicth about America when 4 of my favourite films (out of the 5 I mentioned) are American?

Praxus
21 Sep 03,, 16:17
In another thread you claimed we could not defeat North Korea. Now you claim a made up story(Saving Private Ryan) portrayed war more acuratly then a mostly true story(We Were Soldiers).

Lunatock
21 Sep 03,, 16:18
Originally posted by Ziska
Zulu starring Michael Caine would have to be my favourite. The sight of 4000 authentic Zulu extras chanting war cries before charging Rorke's Drift is one of the most emotional scenes in film, especially when the Welsh reply with 'Men of Harlech".

Another good one to catch is 300 Spartans. The combat is a bit tacky, and the special effects barely deserving of the name, but the last stand of the Spartans again is a stirring moment.

Oh, and I can't forget Braveheart, even if the shocking historical inaccuaracies grate.

Straying from the norm are we? Does this mean that I can add LOTR: Two Towers? The Battle of Helms Deep kicked ass.

Way off in the realm of fantasy. But a huge battle is a huge battle.

Praxus
21 Sep 03,, 16:22
Yah that battle was sweet as hell. The one in the third movie will be even bigger. Where thoose 10,000 Orcs are just a section in their Army.

The Battle in the beginning of the first movie was awsome as hell.

Ironduke
21 Sep 03,, 17:31
Saving Private Ryan

Enemy at the Gates

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket (does this count?)

Zulu

bigross86
21 Sep 03,, 18:48
Does "The Last Castle" fit in?

ChrisF202
21 Sep 03,, 20:40
Zulu
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
The Patriot (yes, extreamly unrealtistic but still fun to watch)

TopHatter
22 Sep 03,, 16:03
Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
There's this Russian film about the Teutonic Invasion of Russia but can't recall the details but the knights fell through the ice.

The movie you were thinking of is Alexander Nevsky directed by Sergei Eisenstein, the same chap who did Battleship Potemkim

bigross86
22 Sep 03,, 16:05
Damn, I was about to post that...

TopHatter
22 Sep 03,, 16:17
C'mon, you gotta faster than that :D
I'll never forget Alexander Nevsky after reading about it in Clancy's Red Storm Rising . I even bought the Prokofiev soundtrack on CD. It has been re-recorded and done in a superb digital format, just like in the book! :clap:

bigross86
22 Sep 03,, 16:21
RSR is where I know about it from. I downloaded it from Kazaa and than had to download Adobe Acrobat. Than I had to download another RSR cuz the first was corrupted.

TopHatter
22 Sep 03,, 16:44
I ought to send you my copy of RSR instead of you reading off your computer. I downloaded the 5th Harry Potter book and read it on my computer. BIG mistake. I'll never do that again. I finally bought Clancy's Red Rabbit on paperback. I had already downloaded it on computer but was reluctant to try reading after my Harry Potter experience.
Back to movies, I forgot about We Were Soldiers and Black Hawk Down. Both were excellent portrayls of warfare. I think I'll do some reviews of my favorite movies, hopefully everyone else will too, what you liked about it, didnt like about it, performances, technical details, accuracy etc.

bigross86
22 Sep 03,, 16:57
Usually I just HotSync the books to my Palm. Makes for easier reading in class...

TopHatter
22 Sep 03,, 17:41
I dunno, give me a good old-fashioned book. I also found that I really don't care for the font and spacing found in Clancy's hardbacks, though it's irratating when your paperback falls apart after 9 millionth reading.

bigross86
22 Sep 03,, 18:29
Do you actually read a book cover to cover more than once? After I've read a book and it's gained my seal of approval, I'll just randomly open it to a spot and start reading.

TopHatter
22 Sep 03,, 18:33
Nope, I do exactly what you do, just pick a spot and start reading at random.

Lunatock
23 Sep 03,, 20:20
Originally posted by Praxus
Yah that battle was sweet as hell. The one in the third movie will be even bigger. Where thoose 10,000 Orcs are just a section in their Army.

The Battle in the beginning of the first movie was awsome as hell.

Wouldn't you have just loved to have those Elven Archers behind you shooting thier arrows right past your head, as they did in the first battle, and at Helms Deep?

Those must have been Delta Force Elves. :LOL

bigross86
23 Sep 03,, 20:45
I hate and despise LOTR with all my heart. Anyone who's ever read David Eddings' Belgariad, Mallorean, Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress will understand why.

Gio
23 Sep 03,, 20:52
Me like Dr.Strangelove.(Does this count? :D)

bigross86
23 Sep 03,, 20:54
I wonder if Bond movies count...

TopHatter
23 Sep 03,, 21:06
hey bigross, have you ever seen or heard of The Beast ? It was filmed in Israel, perhaps in the Negev. The tanks used were genuine Soviet-made, in all probablity captured Arab equipment that was loaned to film crew for the shoot. Quite a bit movie in spite of it's flaws. Many people complained about the Russians speaking English with American accents, kinda like they did with the Germans in Conspiracy speaking with British accents.
When you get right down it, those people are ignoring the actual message of the movie though, IMHO.

bigross86
23 Sep 03,, 21:27
Haven't seen it. What's it all about?

TopHatter
23 Sep 03,, 21:41
Read my first post on this thread for a quick description and then click here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094716/) for all that you wanted to know about it. Just don't read the reviews otherwise it might spoil the movie for you, in case you can get it on Amazon.com

bigross86
23 Sep 03,, 21:52
There seem to be some Hebrew names in the cast. Chaim, Avi, Moshe, David, Yitzchack, etc...

TopHatter
23 Sep 03,, 21:57
Those are Hebrew names?? Get the hell outta here! *ducks for cover*:dbanana

2DREZQ
23 Sep 03,, 22:15
ZULU "What makes you think I could stomach this slaughterhouse more than once?"

GO TELL THE SPARTANS with Burt Lancaster- gritty Vietnam- almost everybody dies pointlessly

APRIL MORNING Tommy Lee Jones & Rip Torn "Lad, There's not a road in New England today that doesn't lead to british graves."

The movie they should have made:

GALLOPING GHOST The heroic/tragic story of the U.S.S. Houston (and the whole forsaken Asiatic fleet) facing the seemingly unstoppable Japanese juggernaut.

TopHatter
23 Sep 03,, 22:33
Agreed, hardly anybody knows anything about the Asiatic Fleet and the stories about them range from the sad to the macabre.

Bill
23 Sep 03,, 22:37
Luna,

"The Lost Battalion"

That about the US battalion in Russia?

Bill
23 Sep 03,, 22:53
Big Red One(Beyond a classic, Lee Marvin and Mark Hamil, and my personal favorite)

The Beast(GREAT, GREAT movie about a russkie tank crew in Afdirtistan- MUST see movie).

Zulu(A true tale of epic scope and heroism)

Saving Private Ryan(Glad i wasn't at Omaha Beach....WOW! Also the best portrayal of the employment of a US squad level sniper in WWII ever filmed)

The Longest Day(D-Day again)

We were soldiers(SgtMajor Basil Plumley. Need i say more?)

Apocolypse now(Has there ever been a better portrayal of a cavalryman then Colonel Bill Killgore?)

The Iron Cross(another pure WWII classic)

Johnny got his gun(Inspiration for the Metallica song 'One')

CrashHawk down(Actual battle much, much worse than depicted)

A Bridge to Far(Murphy's law in action)

Patton(George C. Scott is awesome in the role)

Glory(Civil war flick with Denzel, Ferris, and Freeman)

Last of the Mohicans(Directors cut has excellent period battlescenes)

TopHatter
23 Sep 03,, 23:06
Bill Kilgore was THE best character in A. Now, and the village assault scene was one of the best ever put to film.
TRIVIA TIME: Anybody know who played pilot of Kilgore's Huey?

bigross86
23 Sep 03,, 23:31
Dude, that banana won't save you every time...

TopHatter
23 Sep 03,, 23:50
Originally posted by bigross86
Dude, that banana won't save you every time...

Moi ? Why, whatever do you mean? :angel

Lunatock
24 Sep 03,, 03:16
Originally posted by M21Sniper
Luna,

"The Lost Battalion"

That about the US battalion in Russia?

Nope. The one 'Tock saw. Was a Battalion that got cut off by Germans, after French Forces weren't able to keep up with them. This battle took place in the Argorne Forest.

Lunatock
24 Sep 03,, 03:22
Originally posted by bigross86
I hate and despise LOTR with all my heart. Anyone who's ever read David Eddings' Belgariad, Mallorean, Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress will understand why.

Never heard of those. Must be some choice imitations to stay away from.

Like both the movies that are out so far. Partly because of being a Christopher Lee & John Rhys-Davies fan, for as long as I can remember.

Just started reading Fellowship. And the stories starting to gain momentum.

Bill
24 Sep 03,, 04:27
Lord of the Rings kicks ass.

My Cousins wife is a huge fan of Polgara.

OK Tock, you're talking about the battle where the japanese volunteer regiment wiped itself out saving the American battalion, right?

Who was Killgore's chopper pilot?

"YOU ARE NOT MARINES! YOU ARE ALL NOTHING BUT GRAB-ASSTIC PIECES OF AMBHIBIOUS SHIT!"

:)

Officer of Engineers
24 Sep 03,, 05:47
The Lost Battalion by A&E is about the battle in the Argonne Forest, France by the 77 Liberty Div. 200 out of 600 men survive that battle.

Ziska
24 Sep 03,, 07:48
You should also check out Gallipoli, starring Mel Gibson and directed by Peter Wier.

It focuses on the Australian charge at The Nek, and is pretty much staple fare for TV every ANZAC Day. I doubt whether you would have acess to it, but if you can, its well worth a watch.

Bill
24 Sep 03,, 08:39
I've seen Gallipoli, and yeah, that is a good movie too.

bigross86
24 Sep 03,, 08:47
The pilot was Dick White

TopHatter
24 Sep 03,, 15:41
If you mean the characters name was Dick White or if the "real" pilot (i.e. the stunt pilot) then you could well be right (I don't know about those questions).
I was asking what actor played the guy flying Kilgore's Huey and Sniper gave a great (and correct!) answer :clap:

bigross86
24 Sep 03,, 16:01
On imdb.com it says helicopter pilot: Dick White.

TopHatter
24 Sep 03,, 16:11
That's probably the guy who was doing the actual flying or the actor for another Huey. You have to watch the movie very carefully and listen. You don't really see the guy, you have to hear his voice over the intercom.

bigross86
24 Sep 03,, 17:22
Can you just answer the question???

TopHatter
24 Sep 03,, 17:35
Simmer down there :8 As I said, Sniper already answered the question. The direct answer though is R. Lee Ermey (USMC-ret). The same guy we all know and love from Full Metal Jacket and Mail Call on The History Channel Which, regretably you don't get in Israel, which is a war crime as far as I'm concerned.

bigross86
24 Sep 03,, 17:54
I like the History Channel. Rarely we get to see things. Doscovery and Disovery Wings are also cool

TopHatter
24 Sep 03,, 17:57
Yep, my two favorite channels are History and Discovery Wings. They rerun a couple of good shows on the IAF (helos and F-15s, I believe).

bigross86
24 Sep 03,, 17:58
Soon the F-16I squadrons are coming to Israel. The F-16I's would give an F-16 Block 60 a good run for its money

Lunatock
24 Sep 03,, 20:40
Does anyone have info on a War Movie, titled The Boys of Comapny C? It's a B & W that has R.Lee in it.

And he also starred in The Siege of Fire Base Gloria. Takes place during the Vietnam War. When things were starting to go downhill for the American's.

TopHatter
24 Sep 03,, 20:45
Originally posted by Lunatock
Does anyone have info on a War Movie, titled The Boys of Comapny C? It's a B & W that has R.Lee in it.

And he also starred in The Siege of Fire Base Gloria. Takes place during the Vietnam War. When things were starting to go downhill for the American's.

The Boys in Company C was in color as I recall, try this webpage here (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0077270/)

Siege of Firebase Gloria was flawed but I really liked it myself. R. Lee reportedly grimaces when someone mentions Gloria though.

Lunatock
24 Sep 03,, 20:56
Originally posted by TopHatter
The Boys in Company C was in color as I recall, try this webpage here (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0077270/)

Siege of Firebase Gloria was flawed but I really liked it myself. R. Lee reportedly grimaces when someone mentions Gloria though.

Try to imagine how he would feel about one little word that Ralph DeMattia said:

User Comments:

Ralph DeMattia (rdemattia@olg.com)
Gaithersburg, Maryland

Date: 14 May 2000
Summary: EXCELLENT; EXCELLENT; EXCELLENT !!!

This movie is absolutely histerically funny and at the same time poignantly pathetic (especially to a 'Nam Vet). All of the D.I.'s are so authentic (Lee Ermey was one) and the guy playing the Mexican Senior D.I. was GREAT!! This is a MUST-SEE film for anyone of the Viet-Nam generation, or anyone who enjoys good war films. How the characters change is really well done as well; The Tyrone character goes from a dope-dealing who-gives-a-f**k attitude to really caring about others and the others change as well; the ones that aren't dead, that is. I see this movie at least 2 or 3 times a year, and though I wasn't a jarhead (Marine) I still, as a 2-tour 'Namer, appreciate what they and all those people on that Wall tried to do. See this film: it's worth it!!

TopHatter
24 Sep 03,, 21:01
Originally posted by Lunatock
All of the D.I.'s are so authentic (Lee Ermey was one) and the guy playing the Mexican Senior D.I. was GREAT!!

If this is what you are referring to, you are just a tad mistaken. That reviewer is referring to 2 different actors, the first actor he refers to is Lee Ermey and the second actor playing a DI is Santos Morales as SSgt. Aquilla.
It does look like he is calling R. Lee a Mexican

Lunatock
24 Sep 03,, 21:05
If this is what you are referring to, you are just a tad mistaken. That reviewer is referring to 2 different actors, the first actor he refers to is Lee Ermey and the second actor playing a DI is Santos Morales as SSgt. Aquilla.
It does look like he is calling R. Lee a Mexican

Actually. Reffering to his saying "he's not a jarhead (marine)."

TopHatter
24 Sep 03,, 21:10
Geez, Open Mouth and Insert Foot.
Seriously, I doubt R. Lee would really care. He likes to blow up about it on his Mail Call show though :)

Lunatock
24 Sep 03,, 21:42
Geez, Open Mouth and Insert Foot.
Seriously, I doubt R. Lee would really care. He likes to blow up about it on his Mail Call show though :)

Probably not. Maybe if you saw him & person and deliberately mouthed off to him.

Oh, and yet another Appearence by him, was in the old Fox Series. Space, Above & Beyond. As a D.I.

Smart Aliens, they never actually set foot on the Earth.

TopHatter
24 Sep 03,, 21:59
I sure would like to meet him (Me and every other Joe who has seen his movies :) ).
It would be really fun to do the stuff he does on Mail Call, like fire that Ma-Duece