• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAS to parachute German shepherds into warzones

* Britain's SAS parachuting dogs to spy on rebels
    * German shepherds will leap from planes at 25,000ft
    * Will glide toward targets for up to 30 minutes
    SAS to parachute German shepherds into warzones | NEWS.com.au
    BRITAIN'S SAS has revealed plans to cut down casualty rates in Iraq and Afghanistan by parachuting in German shepherds to spy on rebels.
    The Sun reports the dogs are being trained to leap from planes at 25,000ft wearing their own oxygen masks and strapped to special forces teams.
    Once they land, the dogs will lead the way by finding enemy hideouts with cameras fixed to their heads.
    The images will then be beamed back to the troops, warning of rebel locations and ambushes.
    The bold plan comes after three SAS troopers were shot dead on raids in Iraq over two years, with eight seriously wounded.
    An SAS source told The Sun: "The dogs will be exposed to very high levels of danger on these operations and you never know what’s going to be behind a door.
    "Nobody wants to see the dogs get killed but if it’s their life or a man’s it is obvious which the commanding officer would prefer."
    The dogs will be used in a precise manoeuvre technique called High Altitude High Opening, jumping as much as 35km from their targets and gliding towards them for up to 30 minutes.
    Dogs were first trained to parachute in the Second World War by the British on rescue missions.
    But they have never jumped from high altitude, the best way for small groups of men to get behind enemy lines undetected.
    The dogs have big advantages over soldiers in that they arouse less suspicion approaching targets, can squeeze into tighter spaces and can sniff out booby-trap explosives.
    Two have been issued to each of the regiment’s four squadrons with troopers specially selected to be their handlers.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

I have enough trouble making my dog sit and stay. these dogs must be direct descendants of Lassie or Inspector Rex
    Illegitimi non carborundum

How strange is it for SF to broadcast this to the World

The dogs have big advantages over soldiers in that they arouse less suspicion approaching targets, can squeeze into tighter spaces and can sniff out booby-trap explosives.
    So, a dog with a camera on its head, walking into a rebel stronghold will not look a tad suspicious

Comment

New Taliban rule of engagement: Shoot every dog on sight, especially if they're German Shepard's who have fallen from the sky

Second new Taliban RoE: Don't shoot The Sun reporters, they can be useful!

Comment

This sounds like a joke, even if such an idea is true I dont think they would release it to the media.

Dogs were first trained to parachute in the Second World War by the British on rescue missions.
        Can anyone confirm if this is true? Any details?

Comment

anything is possible, navy did experement with dolphins, installed cameras on their flippers, so why not dogs? who knows may be trained rats are next, or cats, or birds.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I think this may have been reported on The Onion....
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Dog's life.

I have just heard that they are running a special selection for such dog's, due to the nature of the job involved it's a volunteer's only, and they are not entertaining any *****es ( just in case it ***** female dogs).

One of the Course PS., has said that the first part of selection is to change the battery on the doggycam, if they can't do that they are RTU'd platform 4 for them.

Tony
              Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

[QUOTE=toemag;519332]I have just heard that they are running a special selection for such dog's, due to the nature of the job involved it's a volunteer's only, and they are not entertaining any *****es ( just in case it ***** female dogs).

One of the Course PS., has said that the first part of selection is to change the battery on the doggycam, if they can't do that they are RTU'd platform 4 for them.

I bet the Treasury are all for this as they won't have to pay jump money to the poor mutts!:))
                Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Way too funny
                  Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                    This sounds like a joke, even if such an idea is true I dont think they would release it to the media.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Any details?
                    Britain's dogs of war parachute from 25,000ft | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys

Comment

Dave, that photo shop work is the dogs bollox

Still think it a load of bull, one of the blokes winding up some reporter. The pic at the bottom of the linked story to the sun got my attention, some idiot in the middle forgot his black blob, any one have any ideas who he may have been, and why he was there?

Tony
                      Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
                        Dave, that photo shop work is the dogs bollox

Still think it a load of bull, one of the blokes winding up some reporter. The pic at the bottom of the linked story to the sun got my attention, some idiot in the middle forgot his black blob, any one have any ideas who he may have been, and why he was there?

Tony
                        Well it is the Sun so we don't expect too much from them;) The caption does say how the Para dog "may" look. As for the bottom pic..all them SF and Blair still managed to escape:))

Comment

the Ruskis trained dogs to run under Nazi tanks in WW2 so this could be feasible.

but it wouldn't work in a war with China. Lassie would end up in the pot
                          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Ita a perfectly feasable thing to happen , and why not , the yanks trained dolphins to look for mines didnt they , and we in the UK gave pigeons the victoria cross for their gallantry and work did we not .In fact the Dicken medal (animal vc) was given to 32 pigeons 18 dogs 3 horses and 1 cat , the latest was in Afgahnistan in 2007 to a dog called sadie ? And in ww11 there was a dog called rob a collie which was parachuted behind enemy lines to work with the SAS as a guard dog to look out for them when they were exhausted and needed sleep , he made 20 descents and worked all over the theatres of war.It was 50 years after the war that the next medal was awarded ,it went posthumuosly to a dog called gander which served with the Canadian infantry, and not to forget the dog called buster , a springer spaniel served in Iraq as a search and find dog 2003, with great distinction , so yes its perfectly feasable to resurrect this idea .

And if the dog does get killed well , extra rations all round huh , who wants a leg then
                            Last edited by tankie; 28 Jul 08,, 09:10.

Comment

Parachuting dogs into Iraq and Afghanistan! Do they come....excuse me, do they land with salt and pepper containers and cooking instructions?:))

Comment

Working...
                              X