X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Class BB

Any one know when this would have been taken in Portsmouth

Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Big guess.... Iowa spent time in European waters mid to late 80's. Caption of your picture is HMS Victory, which must be the ship in drydock

Comment

That was July of 1989. We actually spent July 4th in Portsmouth, and the Brits put on a very nice celebration for us. I remember taking a tour of the HMS Victory and thanking god that I was not a member of England's Napoleon era Navy.

That was a fun cruise. We went from Kiel Germany, to Portsmouth England, to Casablanca, then to Gibraltar before we even made it to the Med. The Soviet Union was no longer the threat it had been, and the Navy didn't want us to be using up all their fuel allotments. So we basically port hopped for the entire trip. I ended that 6 monther broke but with a lot of great memories (although some of them are very vague and hazy due to over indulgence).

Comment

some one else said it was 1958 based on the railyway there.
        Last edited by Stan; 15 Jul 08,, 09:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          some one else said it was 1958 based on the railyway there.
          It couldn't have been 1958 because none of the Iowas were in Europe in 1958. Might have been prior to 1958, but can't see the ship clear enough to tell.

To be honest I don't remember a ship being alongside us in 1989, but it was a while back. I do see the white tarp covering the Quarterdeck area, and I know that we used that while in Portsmouth in 1989, but I don't know if it was something they did in the 50's or not.
          Last edited by Johnny W; 15 Jul 08,, 16:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
            It couldn't have been 1958 because none of the Iowas were in Europe in 1958. Might have been prior to 1958, but can't see the ship clear enough to tell.

To be honest I don't remember a ship being alongside us in 1989, but it was a while back. I do see the white tarp covering the Quarterdeck area, and I know that we used that while in Portsmouth in 1989, but I don't know if it was something they did in the 50's or not.
            The white naval canvas tarps that are seen to cover Quarterdeck have been used on the BB's since pre-Pearl Harbor especially when transitting the Panama Canal. Is this what you meant John?
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Hows about June 1956 for the Midshipmens cruise.;)

Notice the ship moored ahead of USS Iowa. It the Royal Yacht. Dating this picture between 1956-1957. USS Iowas midshipmens book records this as Portsmouth England 1956 anywhere from June on.
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 15 Jul 08,, 20:31.

Comment

It is 1989. Enlarging the photo I can barely make out the Discone/Discage antenna up on the bow.

There are no 20mm guns on top of Turret II. All you see is the space between the turret and the superstructure NOT covered by an awning.

Also the 40mm tubs forward of Turret I are no longer there, the mast top is definitely the 1980's modernization mast and if it wasn't for that cloud of smoke the Fueling at Sea King Post would be visible.

Awning rails were repaired or reinstalled on all four ships due to the fact they would be high profile and have a lot of visitors. Of course, the awnings cover a lot of the modifications. But if you look at the edge of the forward awnings from 02 level, you can see that at their attachment to 01 level there is no 40mm tub that was sheared off for life raft stowage.

And the awnings came in pretty handy on the USS Salem to hide her structure when she played the title roll of "Pursuit of the Graf Spee"
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  It is 1989. Enlarging the photo I can barely make out the Discone/Discage antenna up on the bow.

There are no 20mm guns on top of Turret II. All you see is the space between the turret and the superstructure NOT covered by an awning.

Also the 40mm tubs forward of Turret I are no longer there, the mast top is definitely the 1980's modernization mast and if it wasn't for that cloud of smoke the Fueling at Sea King Post would be visible.

Awning rails were repaired or reinstalled on all four ships due to the fact they would be high profile and have a lot of visitors. Of course, the awnings cover a lot of the modifications. But if you look at the edge of the forward awnings from 02 level, you can see that at their attachment to 01 level there is no 40mm tub that was sheared off for life raft stowage.

And the awnings came in pretty handy on the USS Salem to hide her structure when she played the title roll of "Pursuit of the Graf Spee"
                  Good eyes, I didnt think to enlarge the photo. Then I definately would have noticed the "distain" cage antenna ruining those fluid looks.;)

Comment

Yup, zoom in and you can see the awnings too, also notice no crane on the stern for lifting the spotter planes.
                    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                    -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Cant be 1989

"Restoration of HMS Warrior for use as a museum ship began in August 1979, when she began her 800-mile (1,287 km) journey to her temporary home in the Coal Dock at Hartlepool, where the £8 million restoration project would be carried out, largely funded by the Maritime Trust. Warrior arrived in Hartlepool on September 3, 1979. Restoration work started with the removal of 80 long tons (81 t) of rubbish, including a thick concrete layer poured onto her upper deck as part of the conversion to an oil jetty. Over the next eight years, Warrior's decks, interior compartments, engines, woodwork and fittings were restored or recreated, her masts, rigging and funnels were recreated, and a new figurehead carved from photographs of the original (destroyed in the 1960s) as a guide. She arrived at her current berth in Portsmouth on June 16, 1987, almost fully restored".

You should be able to see HMS Warrior as she hasnt moved since 1987 from her current position.

Comment

USS IOwa visited Portsmouth in 1986 September

Comment

USS IOwa visited Portsmouth in 1986 September

Since you initiated the string, is this Naval Quiz II? :)

Comment

USS Iowa visited Portsmouth in 1986 September
                            It could have been that year as well. I had a pen-pal through the Battleship New Jersey Museam Foundation that was absolutely in love with Battleships. His name was Tony Day and was finally released from a convalescent hospital to a special apartment built for wheel chair restricted people.

When Iowa was going to visit England, I wrote to the ship's photographer (who did work for me on several inspections), to see what they could do to show the ship to Tony.

They went all out. They sent him a special invitation to visit the ship. As he arrived at the brow, two big husky sailors picked up him and his wheelchair and carried him aboard.

Any place he wanted to visit, including machinery rooms, they carried him or figured out some way to get his wheel chair through.

Later he wrote quite a report on it in the New Jersey newsletter and was able to provide photos of the crew catering to him. He personally wrote to me and said that was the greatest and happiest day of his life.

He died the following year.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I didnt know it was 1986 but i found more yesterday evening.

Rusty thats an awesome thing you did for that chap!

Comment

Working...
                              X