Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore executes drug dealers/smugglers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore executes drug dealers/smugglers?

Is it really true that in Singapore they execute drug dealers and smugglers?

I of course recall reading all the news stories about Americans, Australians, Britons, etc who have been sentenced to death or life in prison for drug smuggling but is that the norm or is it based on what drug was being smuggled, the amount, etc?

I do know for a fact though that Singapore has a very low crime rate so I cant help but notice the correlation between tough punishment and low crime. I hear they also cane people for spitting out their chewing gum ...

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
    Is it really true that in Singapore they execute drug dealers and smugglers?

I of course recall reading all the news stories about Americans, Australians, Britons, etc who have been sentenced to death or life in prison for drug smuggling but is that the norm or is it based on what drug was being smuggled, the amount, etc?

I do know for a fact though that Singapore has a very low crime rate so I cant help but notice the correlation between tough punishment and low crime. I hear they also cane people for spitting out their chewing gum ...

This will enlighten you Chris
    CNN.com - Singapore 'top executioner' - Jan. 15, 2004

SINGAPORE (Reuters) -- Singapore leads the world in executions, putting to death more people than Saudi Arabia, China and Sierra Leone on a per capita basis, rights group Amnesty International has said

Comment

That is why Singapore is such an orderly city! :))

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Yes, I do recall making a comment about it a few days ago in the death penalty thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
          Yes, I do recall making a comment about it a few days ago in the death penalty thread.
          I cant say I disagree with their position either ... after the rash of local heroin related problems I think its time that we consider executing people caught with over a certain amount of illegal drugs.

Too many lives and too many communities have been ruined by drugs ...

Comment

I cant say I disagree with their position either ... after the rash of local heroin related problems I think its time that we consider executing people caught with over a certain amount of illegal drugs.

Why should the amount matter? There is no justice in imposing a harsher sentence on one person than on another who possesses slightly less of the same illegal substance.

Comment

so we can say
              the crime rate of a country indirectly proportional to "Harshness of laws"

Comment

This is B.S. How do they "enjoy" themselves? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                  This is B.S. How do they "enjoy" themselves? ;)
                  Apparently, they don't.

singapore boring - Google Search
                  HD Ready?

Comment

I was going to say "well you can still get drunk I suppose"

Then I saw the flag, and I thought it was one of those Muslim countries like Indonesia/Malaysia

Then I saw that Islam only makes up 13.9% of the population. So what's up with their Muslim looking flag?

I'm sure Singapore isn't that bad

Comment

Singapore is more like an atheist authoritarian country. Its beautiful, looks neat, good to spend your hard earned money on shopping, but do I want to live there ??
                      big efffin NO.
                      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Wired 1.04: Disneyland with the Death Penalty

I read that a while ago and it's proving impossible to forget whenever I think about Singapore. Would any inhabitants care to chime in?
                        HD Ready?

Comment

Legalize drugs and tax them, use the tax moeny for treatment and use the money we are spending on prohibition toreduce the deficit. You would see the numbers of addicts go way down. Prohibition doesn't work, it only adds a profit motive. As`long as soe one will pay for a goods or service, some one else will provide it. Why nations look at drugs as something other than market forces problem is beyond me.

Hell the various governments could take the drugs they seize and resell them at below going rates using the money they made to finance even more indertiction so they had more to resell. The combination of market pressures (government undercutting the street cost), financial and physical risk, and 100% of the burden bearing (supplying yourself and your competitors) would ruin most smugling operations. They would ahve to match prices thus paying the producers less, while thier own costs also go up. Make the cash value of the crop low enough and the farmers will switch to something that pays better.

Comment

Hey, we are talking of merchants of death (for hard drugs anyway)...getting an overdose at heavy price or on the cheap, the result is still the same...

Comment

I'm sorry, why can't we (the United States) execute drug dealers?

Frankly, it sounds like a great idea to me.

Being a coke dealer or running a meth lab would suddenly sound like a slightly more hazardous occupation.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X