• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China seeks to muzzle quake victim parents

China seeks to muzzle quake victim parents
    FT.com / Asia-Pacific / China - China seeks to muzzle quake victim parents
    By Jamil Anderlini in Mianzhu, Sichuan

Published: July 1 2008 23:31 | Last updated: July 1 2008 23:31

Chinese security forces are putting pressure on angry parents to abandon demands for a full investigation into why so many schools collapsed in the May earthquake in Sichuan province and have rounded up human rights workers in the earthquake-ravaged region.

In tent cities that have sprung up throughout the region, soldiers carrying batons patrol the streets and security agents and police have stepped up efforts to muzzle any sign of “social instability”.

An atmosphere of anxiety reigns among the parents of children killed in school collapses in the towns of Mianzhu and Dujiangyan as government and security officials apply increasing pressure on them to drop demands for a full investigation.

A parent in Dujiangyan said that officials had said “not to make trouble” and to quietly accept cash compensation of Rmb12,000 ($1,750) per child with the promise of a further Rmb20,000 ($2,917) to come later.

Police have harassed and followed journalists trying to interview parents in the town of Mianzhu who openly discussed their grievances at first but later asked to be left alone after meetings with local government officials.

The parents originally planned to lobby the provincial government through China’s petition system – the only formal channel for citizens dissatisfied with local officials – but they appeared to have abandoned that goal on Tuesday.

Beijing ordered a nationwide crackdown on dissent over the weekend, calling on all officials to ensure “zero mass petitions to Beijing, zero petitions to provincial capitals and no mass incidents during the Olympic Games period”.

According to Amnesty International: “Much of the current wave of repression is occurring not in spite of the Olympics, but actually because of the Olympics . . . in an apparent attempt to portray a ‘stable’ or ‘harmonious’ image to the world by August 2008.”

The same day that the directive was issued from Beijing, an estimated 30,000 rioters battled security forces, overturned police cars and set fire to a government office building in the town of Weng’an in Guizhou province, Sichuan’s southeastern neighbour.

The riot began after police ruled that a teenage girl had committed suicide, contradicting claims by her parents and relatives that three young men raped and murdered the girl.

Shi Zongyuan, party secretary of Guizhou, called the incident “a bare-faced challenge to the party and the government caused by a small number of people with ulterior motives under the influence of evil forces”, according to state media. A local party official denied that the children of local officials were involved in the girl’s death.

In Sichuan, at least five human rights activists have been detained, including Huang Qi, 45, a prominent human rights activist who was detained on June 10 and has now been charged with possession of state secrets.

On frequent trips to the epicentre after the quake, Mr Huang worked with the parents in Mianzhu, Dujiangyuan and other communities on how to launch a legal campaign and relatives and associates believe this led to his arrest.

“How can discussions with grieving parents be described as state secrets?” one of Mr Huang’s supporters asked in an interview with the Financial Times .

The Sichuan quake left more than 87,000 dead or missing and nearly 2,000,000 without the means to make a living, creating a massive floating population of potentially disaffected survivors of the disaster.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

This p!sses me right off!

Comment

And yet the Chinese posters continue to wonder why we criticize China. I am interested to see how they attempt to defend this and their reasoning behind this.

Comment

"In Sichuan, at least five human rights activists have been detained, including Huang Qi, 45, a prominent human rights activist who was detained on June 10 and has now been charged with possession of state secrets.

On frequent trips to the epicentre after the quake, Mr Huang worked with the parents in Mianzhu, Dujiangyuan and other communities on how to launch a legal campaign and relatives and associates believe this led to his arrest.
        In Sichuan, at least five human rights activists have been detained, including Huang Qi, 45, a prominent human rights activist who was detained on June 10 and has now been charged with possession of state secrets."

This Guy is something else

Huang was arrested on June 3, 2000 – the day before the 11th anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, accused of posting on his website articles about the protests written by dissidents living abroad. The website was used by the independence movement in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region and the Falun Gong.

He was jailed in July 2000 at the Detention Centre No. 1 in Chengdu. Former cellmates said he was beaten regularly and denied medicine he needed. Huang was ultimately tried for "subversion" in August 2001. He was charged under articles 103, 105, 55 and 56 of the Criminal Law and tried in secret by the Chengdu Intermediate Court in August 2001.[1] He was detained without sentencing until May 9, 2003, when he was sentenced to five years in prison.

Reporters Without Borders awarded its Cyber-Freedom Prize to Huang Qi in 2004.

On June 4, 2005, Huang Qi was released from jail after completing his sentence. He told Radio Free Asia that he wants to resume his web site dedicated to the memory of the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown. "I will do my best to resume the Tianwang Web site. When it was first created it was for very few people. But I now realize that there are many like-minded people," he said.

I wonder what will happen to him this time?

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
          China seeks to muzzle quake victim parents
          FT.com / Asia-Pacific / China - China seeks to muzzle quake victim parents
          By Jamil Anderlini in Mianzhu, Sichuan

Published: July 1 2008 23:31 | Last updated: July 1 2008 23:31

Chinese security forces are putting pressure on angry parents to abandon demands for a full investigation into why so many schools collapsed in the May earthquake in Sichuan province and have rounded up human rights workers in the earthquake-ravaged region.

In tent cities that have sprung up throughout the region, soldiers carrying batons patrol the streets and security agents and police have stepped up efforts to muzzle any sign of “social instability”.

An atmosphere of anxiety reigns among the parents of children killed in school collapses in the towns of Mianzhu and Dujiangyan as government and security officials apply increasing pressure on them to drop demands for a full investigation.

A parent in Dujiangyan said that officials had said “not to make trouble” and to quietly accept cash compensation of Rmb12,000 ($1,750) per child with the promise of a further Rmb20,000 ($2,917) to come later.

Police have harassed and followed journalists trying to interview parents in the town of Mianzhu who openly discussed their grievances at first but later asked to be left alone after meetings with local government officials.

The parents originally planned to lobby the provincial government through China’s petition system – the only formal channel for citizens dissatisfied with local officials – but they appeared to have abandoned that goal on Tuesday.

Beijing ordered a nationwide crackdown on dissent over the weekend, calling on all officials to ensure “zero mass petitions to Beijing, zero petitions to provincial capitals and no mass incidents during the Olympic Games period”.

According to Amnesty International: “Much of the current wave of repression is occurring not in spite of the Olympics, but actually because of the Olympics . . . in an apparent attempt to portray a ‘stable’ or ‘harmonious’ image to the world by August 2008.”

The same day that the directive was issued from Beijing, an estimated 30,000 rioters battled security forces, overturned police cars and set fire to a government office building in the town of Weng’an in Guizhou province, Sichuan’s southeastern neighbour.

The riot began after police ruled that a teenage girl had committed suicide, contradicting claims by her parents and relatives that three young men raped and murdered the girl.

Shi Zongyuan, party secretary of Guizhou, called the incident “a bare-faced challenge to the party and the government caused by a small number of people with ulterior motives under the influence of evil forces”, according to state media. A local party official denied that the children of local officials were involved in the girl’s death.

In Sichuan, at least five human rights activists have been detained, including Huang Qi, 45, a prominent human rights activist who was detained on June 10 and has now been charged with possession of state secrets.

“How can discussions with grieving parents be described as state secrets?” one of Mr Huang’s supporters asked in an interview with the Financial Times .

The Sichuan quake left more than 87,000 dead or missing and nearly 2,000,000 without the means to make a living, creating a massive floating population of potentially disaffected survivors of the disaster.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

1. Well, in China there has always been troubles between local and central government. It often is the case where the central government's order not conducted properly by the local government, and resource were taken by the corrupted local officials. In the good faith of doing the good thing from the central government, locals' simply undo all that effort. That just suck big time. Personal I think it's to do with the system, better process and system needs to be put in place.

2. Having soldiers on the street to keep the social oder in disaster zone, I don't have a problem with that.

3. I think the central government should have established a direct team or delegation to investigate why so many schools collapsed and making the process as transaparent as possible, so that the rumors and lies that causes anxiety and social unrest just collapse on its own, and hypocrites become weapon-less.

4. Amnesty International only looking at it from 1 angle, what's wrong with "zero mass petitions to Beijing"? The last thing people want is to have themselves or their athletes become hostage of some terrorist group during the game, like what happened in 1972 Olympic Games in Munich.

5. The riot in Weng’an, well it's still under investigation.

6. Mr Huang, en... after the troubled torch relay and the ugly reception through UK and France, I wonder how many Chinese still believe the western's idea of democracy and human-rights.

7. BeiJing is stupid enough to make such huge hype for this Olympic Game thing, so that every hypocrites can use it as a bargain chip to blackmail the government to get what they want. Like this French president who recently said his attendance to the open ceremony of the Olympic Game in BeiJing depends on the outcome of the talks between BeiJing and Dalai Lama. Honestly, I am sure there are French with better political IQ than him.

Comment

I think the Chinese govt by doing this has lost all the goodwill they generated by the efficient handling of the quake.

The handling of the quake indicates that the processes and system in very much in place and it is working magnificently.

Whether it is the fault of the Central govt or the local authorities, they still are the Communist party hacks and those who have seen Communist party organisations (as we in India) are aware of the cadre based organisation and how they jump to at the order of their bosses. Therefore, to blame locals, just does not wash.

Maybe there was a reluctance to make the process more transparent, since it would prevent those along the channel of distribution from dipping their hands in the till. Obviously, these are not rumours that have caused anger and anxiety. It is axiomatic that these lapses are manmade and CCP party hack made, especially when one saw the efficiency that was abound in organising the earthquake relief and clean up, as also blasting the earthquake created dams without an town downstream getting flooded or washed away.

AI maybe biased, but then there is a lot at stake as far as the Olympics is concerned for China. That is why so much effort has gone into to showcase China. China has to project itself as a stable and vibrant country and therefore a firman or a missive that there should be no protest is not surprising.

The Party hack statement that "the incident “a bare-faced challenge to the party and the government caused by a small number of people with ulterior motives under the influence of evil forces” or that no officials children were involved in the rape is typical of whitewashing their own faults and it is the typical Communist claptrap!

As far as the French President is concerned and his attending the Olympics being contingent on the talks with Dalai Lama, one fails to see the reason as to why he is a hypocrite to demand so?

In fact, this and the rape cover up indicates that the Communists are the real hypocrites!
            Last edited by Ray; 03 Jul 08,, 03:06.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by hamurana View Post

6. Mr Huang, en... after the troubled torch relay and the ugly reception through UK and France, I wonder how many Chinese still believe the western's idea of democracy and human-rights.
              So sorry to tell you that many Chinese still believe "the western's idea of democracy and human-rights." And I am so happy to find that more and more Chinese began to wake up after the Olympics Torch Relay, Sichuan earthquake, and Wen'an case. Any evidence? , go to the following websites, and prepared to be shocked.
              »¶Ó­À´µ½ÌìÑÄÐéÄâÉçÇø
              http://club.cat898.com/

Don't try to mislead our foreign friends here. You don't represent all Chinese. Being a Chinese living in Mainland and spend at least 2 hours a day in major Chinese boards, I know a lot about the real thought of most Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by ying View Post
                So sorry to tell you that many Chinese still believe "the western's idea of democracy and human-rights." And I am so happy to find that more and more Chinese began to wake up after the Olympics Torch Relay, Sichuan earthquake, and Wen'an case. Any evidence? , go to the following websites, and prepared to be shocked.
                »¶Ó*À´µ½ÌìÑÄÐéÄâÉçÇø
                »¶Ó*·ÃÎÊ¿*µÏÍøÂç

Don't try to mislead our foreign friends here. You don't represent all Chinese. Being a Chinese living in Mainland and spend at least 2 hours a day in major Chinese boards, I know a lot about the real thought of most Chinese.

No, I don't intend to represent for anyone but myself, so on that ground, I only speak for myself.

Having said that, are you making yourself a representative for Chinese? How many do you represent?

I have looked at your so called evidence, looks like many people in your evidence list are having the opposite opinion as you.

Misleading or not, I am sure most people posting here, regardless of their nationality, are very knowledgeable, and able to tell black and white.

Your arguments are weak your evidence don't stand scrutiny.

Real thoughts of most Chinese? Ying you just keeps making me laugh everyday, I thank you for that. How real are their thoughts? How many Chinese are you talking about?

Comment

No, I don't intend to represent for anyone but myself, so on that ground, I only speak for myself.

Having said that, are you making yourself a representative for Chinese? How many do you represent?

I have looked at your so called evidence, looks like many people in your evidence list are having the opposite opinion as you.

Misleading or not, I am sure most people posting here, regardless of their nationality, are very knowledgeable, and able to tell black and white.

Your arguments are weak your evidence don't stand scrutiny.

Real thoughts of most Chinese? Ying you just keeps making me laugh everyday, I thank you for that. How real are their thoughts? How many Chinese are you talking about?
                  How many Chinese am i talking about? There is one simple way to find out how many Chinese want to choose "western's human rights". GIVE THEIR VOTE. Let all Chinese to vote on which way they want to live and let's see the result. Dose CCP dare to do so?

It's my turn to laugh now. A human being who wants to live like a pig laught at the human being who want to live like a human being. It's interesting. Keep posting your thread. I am getting enjoy it.:)):))

Comment

Originally posted by ying View Post
                    How many Chinese am i talking about? There is one simple way to find out how many Chinese want to choose "western's human rights". GIVE THEIR VOTE. Let all Chinese to vote on which way they want to live and let's see the result. Dose CCP dare to do so?

It's my turn to laugh now. A human being who wants to live like a pig laught at the human being who want to live like a human being. It's interesting. Keep posting your thread. I am getting enjoy it.:)):))
                    So you don't know the number then, no point making big claims like "I know a lot about the real thought of most Chinese." what a laughingstock. So how many other lies are you telling here Ying? You never earn respect anywhere by telling lies and making big stories.

Excuse me and with no intention to offend, but are you considering yourself a pig and laugh at the same time? I am expect better from you Ying.

Anyway, tired of your empty words, so, night night.

Comment

So you don't know the number then, no point making big claims like "I know a lot about the real thought of most Chinese." what a laughingstock. So how many other lies are you telling here Ying? You never earn respect anywhere by telling lies and making big stories.

Excuse me and with no intention to offend, but are you considering yourself a pig and laugh at the same time? I am expect better from you Ying.

Anyway, tired of your empty words, so, night night.
                      Who is lying? :)):))Any people has normal IQ would have his judgment here.

It's you that said "I wonder how many Chinese still believe the western's idea of democracy and human-rights." and I just gave you my answer. In addition, I provided the evidence as well as another simple way to prove what I said. But you just turned a blind eye on purpose.

I said in WAB that I believe many Chinese people want to live like a human being instead of pig. Am I lying? Am I talking big story? You didn’t insult me, I think. You insulted my and other posters’ intelligence and Chinese people’s dignity.

Last word to you, you have your right to choose to live like a pig but you have no right to "deny" other human beings' willingness to live like a human being. But actually, I really doubt you may understand the meaning of my words since how ignorant your previous threads are.

Comment

What does that Chinese website that was appended say?

Where is that Chinese website from?

The issue that CCP keeps a strong grip over the Chinese people and their expressing their views is true and cannot be denied. At the same time, one has to concede that because it can force its people to obey without dissent is what has made the country progress and come up to this wondrous state.

It is for the Chinese people to decide what type of life they want and nobody else can dictate it for them, even though analysing their existence and helping them on their way to becoming their own Masters is very much on the cards.

This globalisation and free economy is changing the mindset of many countries under Communist ways or Socialist ways or mixed economy. It is good for the future.

That the Chinese are an industrious people, even in a democracy/ guided democracy, is so evident when one observes Taiwan or Singapore.
                        Last edited by Ray; 04 Jul 08,, 05:32.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          What does that Chinese website that was appended say?

Where is that Chinese website from?

The issue that CCP keeps a strong grip over the Chinese people and their expressing their views is true and cannot be denied. At the same time, one has to concede that because it can force its people to obey without dissent is what has made the country progress and come up to this wondrous state.

It is for the Chinese people to decide what type of life they want and nobody else can dictate it for them, even though analysing their existence and helping them on their way to becoming their own Masters is very much on the cards.

This globalisation and free economy is changing the mindset of many countries under Communist ways or Socialist ways or mixed economy. It is good for the future.

That the Chinese are an industrious people, even in a democracy/ guided democracy, is so evident when one observes Taiwan or Singapore.

One is »¶Ó­À´µ½ÌìÑÄÐéÄâÉçÇø, it's the one with funny char displayed, i go there sometimes, the other one is a similar site. They are pretty much like WAB except, for Chinese and more traffic. It's a site for everyone to have their say, so as far as I could gather, the information creditability is questionable, fake stories, rumors, so called breaking stories, you name it.

The government is always about controlling people, that's the fact no matter where you go. But how to control and to what extend has always been the question for every government, China is no exception. Comparing to what it was many decades ago and now, China has come a long way, it's certainly not good enough yet and still have lots of grounds to cover, especially talking about bring more transparency to the political process and freedom to the citizens, but it's on the right track.

Good things take time, it doesn't just happen overnight.

Comment

One is »¶Ó*À´µ½ÌìÑÄÐéÄâÉçÇø, it's the one with funny char displayed, i go there sometimes, the other one is a similar site. They are pretty much like WAB except, for Chinese and more traffic. It's a site for everyone to have their say, so as far as I could gather, the information creditability is questionable, fake stories, rumors, so called breaking stories, you name it.
                            WAB does that?

Great fake this WAB!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The government is always about controlling people, that's the fact no matter where you go. But how to control and to what extend has always been the question for every government, China is no exception. Comparing to what it was many decades ago and now, China has come a long way,
                              Catch my govt controlling me or anyone!

Though it is good that China is opening up!

But that is the beginning of the end!

It is an American plot!

The West wants maximum Chinese to be exposed to their free wheeling lifestyle! Actually, it is great!

That is why bigwigs of China's children are given all the sops to come over!

China is about to become history!
                              Last edited by Ray; 04 Jul 08,, 07:05.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X