Waxing at the Moon on the Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing at the Moon on the Floor

Was wondering if anyone out there who has wood floors - NOT laminate, has tried waxing them? I've got some nail scratches from the dog and was looking at the Internet and one site said not to wax anything that has polyurethane on it. The others I looked at never mentioned anything. So now there is confusion. To wax or not to wax? Any help would be appreciated:)
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
    Was wondering if anyone out there who has wood floors - NOT laminate, has tried waxing them? I've got some nail scratches from the dog and was looking at the Internet and one site said not to wax anything that has polyurethane on it. The others I looked at never mentioned anything. So now there is confusion. To wax or not to wax? Any help would be appreciated:)
    IMO, Not to wax Ms Deb. I have hardwood floors at home and they are eurathaned/sealed. I merely use a good cleaner recommended for hardwood floors and a damp hot rag or towel. The reason they probably tell you not too is the fact that the dogs paw scratches may lift the eurathane and if you wax it, may darken the exposed part of the hardwood. Leaving a mark that you may not get out.:)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
      IMO, Not to wax Ms Deb. I have hardwood floors at home and they are eurathaned/sealed. I merely use a good cleaner recommended for hardwood floors and a damp hot rag or towel. The reason they probably tell you not too is the fact that the dogs paw scratches may lift the eurathane and if you wax it, may darken the exposed part of the hardwood. Leaving a mark that you may not get out.:)
      Hmmmm, never thought about the scratch turning into a dark mark, but there is, according to an advert that of course I didn't bother to tear out and keep a product out there that will cover the scratches. Maybe it wasn't wax but something else? The product was made in either Minnesota or Wisconsin, but the name eludes me......More of a floor restore than a wax. Didn't have to scuff of anything, it just got put down over the exisiting stuff.
      Last edited by Debbie; 01 Jul 08,, 18:20.
      Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

I completely agree with Dreadnought there... waxing is a never ending lifetime job too once you start.

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
          I completely agree with Dreadnought there... waxing is a never ending lifetime job too once you start.
          Well, since I'm not going to live there for a lifetime - don't think anyway. Have been looking at Armstrong Restore Hardwood Floor Finish. Can be used over wood that has been polyurethaned. It's not the product that I was looking for before, but it seems to work the way I want it to. Anyone tried it?

Comment

I typically remove any old polyurethane before I apply a new finish. Unless this product specifically says it can be used over polyurethane.

Comment

Wax on, Wax off

I have lyptus hardwood floors everywhere. If I don't say so myself, they are beautiful, but a lot of work. Sans stripping them entirely, once the scratches are there, they are going to stay. Trust me, as my mother and her stiletto heels did a little tap dance to which I get to remember every time I am on my hands and knees and see the marks. Throw in scratches from our dog too.

I tell myself that my floor has personality!

I use good old fashioned Murphy's Oil Soap- remember the commercials with the nice old ladies cleaning the church? I also use Mr. Clean with water and it doesn't leave a sticky feeling that the wax will give plus it sanitizes. On very rare occasions I used a furniture and wood polish called Milsek but it it oil based and makes the scratches a little darker but it fades with in a week or so. Milsek is also awesome on stainless steel.

Hope it helped. BTW- are you pregnant? Why on earth are u scrubbing floors?
              sigpic "We are the people our parents warned us about." Jimmy Buffet

Comment

In India we wax our wooden floors.

But, be warned, it is a back breaking chore!

It also gathers the dust.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Desdemona View Post
                  I have lyptus hardwood floors everywhere. If I don't say so myself, they are beautiful, but a lot of work. Sans stripping them entirely, once the scratches are there, they are going to stay. Trust me, as my mother and her stiletto heels did a little tap dance to which I get to remember every time I am on my hands and knees and see the marks. Throw in scratches from our dog too.

I tell myself that my floor has personality!

I use good old fashioned Murphy's Oil Soap- remember the commercials with the nice old ladies cleaning the church? I also use Mr. Clean with water and it doesn't leave a sticky feeling that the wax will give plus it sanitizes. On very rare occasions I used a furniture and wood polish called Milsek but it it oil based and makes the scratches a little darker but it fades with in a week or so. Milsek is also awesome on stainless steel.

Hope it helped. BTW- are you pregnant? Why on earth are u scrubbing floors?
                  I'm trying to tell myself the floors have personality as well, but I still want to "fix" them. I've used Murphys Oil Soap too, but find that a little goes a very long way.

Pregnancy, would require a man of some sort last time I heard. Those I seem to be interested in don't share that view. :))

Comment

Waxing it is then, my dear - always remember, pain is weakness leaving the body!!

Comment

Just a thought....when I bought our kitchen cabinets the folks at Kraftmaid gave me a sort of wax pencil to fill in scratches with. I don't see why you couldn't use it to fill in a deep scratch on the floor if the colors matched.
                      sigpic "We are the people our parents warned us about." Jimmy Buffet

Comment

Working...
                      X