Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passchendaele

Passchendale the movie

This is the largest homegrown war movie in Canadian History, with a budget of 20million dollars. 9 million of which was donated from the Provincial government of Alberta, and the Federal Government. The remaining 11million was donated from various private companies.

Paul Gross (Due South) who is the writer, director, publisher, and star of the film. Hopes that Passchendaele is both a commercial success, and that it helps educate young Canadians on a very important piece of our past.

I have been waiting for a home made war epic. On the scale of other epics, such as Saving Private Ryan, Das Boot, and Band of Brothers.

What better conflict to center this Canadian epic around, than the First World War.

Saw some previews and it looks okay but we shall see. This type of historical flick is as usual long over due and I just hope this sinking feeling I usually get when Governments are involved doesn't mean it will be lost in a sea of political correctness.

Comment

Originally posted by Exarecr View Post
      Saw some previews and it looks okay but we shall see. This type of historical flick is as usual long over due and I just hope this sinking feeling I usually get when Governments are involved doesn't mean it will be lost in a sea of political correctness.
      There is more private money involved, than there is pulbic. Plus Gross has been working on this for 10 years now. He had a historian on the set at all times, I am hoping that it turns out well.. If it does than I think that people will really get an understanding of the true carnage of the first world war,

Comment

the topic is interesting and there arent enough WWI flicks anyway, though the love story could be pretty anoying.

Comment

I have to say that just watching the teasers makes me well up.

I'm certain that this film will do justice to the brave men who fought at Passchendaele and turned Canada into a proud and respected nation.
          Last edited by smilingassassin; 02 Jul 08,, 04:35.
          Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Looks like a good movie ... of course with the obligatory love story. I just hope that the action is the trailer isent all the action in the movie.

Does anyone know if this will get a wide release here in the US or will I most likely have to take a train into NYC?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
              Looks like a good movie ... of course with the obligatory love story. I just hope that the action is the trailer isent all the action in the movie.

Does anyone know if this will get a wide release here in the US or will I most likely have to take a train into NYC?
              ...or Toronto!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                the topic is interesting and there arent enough WWI flicks anyway, though the love story could be pretty anoying.
                Well i think that the love story will be important in portraying the hell on earth that was WWI. As long as it is not cheesy, and has strong acting. (in other words, not! Pearl Harbour)

Many men went to war thinking that it would be a swift win, and that they would fire there rifles for a bit, get a medal and return home a hero. Little did they know that the war would drag into a four year meat grinder, fought in the filth and disease of the trenches and mud. The contrast of the love left at home, and the carnage in France I think will help to put things in perspective.

In one of the interviews available on the website provided, Gross talks about what inspired him. His grandfather who fought in the battle, said that during the battle he didnt know what the hell was going on, other than what was 30 feet around him.

Gross said that he made sure to capture that very same perspective of the battle.

Comment

my problem is that I simply cant think of a good war movie that also had a good love story. Some of the best war movies like "Das Boot" manage completly without them.

Comment

Gone With The Wind

Comment

Okay you have me there, but on the other hand that one has to go almost 70 years to find one does kinda show that love stories in war movies seldom work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                        Okay you have me there, but on the other hand that one has to go almost 70 years to find one does kinda show that love stories in war movies seldom work out.
                        that just means that we are due!

Comment

Working...
                        X