Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal Made to Produce Male Birth Control Pill

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,145948,00.html

A Norwegian company seeking to develop a male birth control (search) pill has signed a licensing agreement with the University of Massachusetts Medical School covering research that could lead to a drug to block sperm's ability to swim and fertilize an egg.

The method that led to the long-term deal announced Monday could expand the decades-long search for a male pill by targeting a protein found only in sperm cells.

Researchers at the University of Massachusetts in Worcester and elsewhere say that approach carries far less risk of side effects than manipulating a man's hormones, the avenue that has attracted the most research aimed at finding alternatives to condoms and vasectomies (search).

"You wouldn't think there would be side effects because there is no other place in the body where these specific proteins are formed," said Dr. Louis De Paolo, associate chief of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, an arm of the National Institutes of Health that has funded male contraception research. "They could make very useful targets for regulating fertility."

Terms of the deal with Oslo-based SpermaTech AS (search) aimed at developing a drug based on the UMass-patented contraception approach were not disclosed.

"We are all very excited about this effort, because the contraceptive pills now available are based on hormones, which float around in the body and have significant side effects elsewhere," said Bjorn Steen Skalhegg, who helped found the Norwegian company in 2001.

Sounds promising. But many people are will still be concerned about the side effects part. But I'll be watching this space alright! :)

Comment

Never met a woman that did well on the pill, I'd be willing to try it.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Dang....where do I sign up?
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Make the men take it... I like it.
          "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
            Never met a woman that did well on the pill, I'd be willing to try it.
            Heh, heh, yeah maybe WE can go crazy instead. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Broken
              Geez....it can get worse?

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                Geez....it can get worse?
                Oh come on Julie, don't you think it ought to be mandatory for unmarried guys to take this male pill?
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                  Oh come on Julie, don't you think it ought to be mandatory for unmarried guys to take this male pill?
                  Well, heck yeah I do since it would surely protect the men that believe the woman when she says she's on the pill (but really isn't). :)

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                    Well, heck yeah I do since it would surely protect the men that believe the woman when she says she's on the pill (but really isn't). :)
                    Oh please, why on Earth would any woman do such a thing?

Personally, if they ever approve such a pill, I know somebody who'll be first in line to get it.....like, say...ME! (One $500 pat test is enough...even if was negative)
                    Last edited by TopHatter; 05 Feb 05,, 07:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken
                      Ask a woman, we're allready crazy. :)

My hope is that since this isn't hormonal, it will have reduced side effects.
                      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                        Ask a woman, we're allready crazy. :)
                        Damn strait.
                        "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
                          Damn strait.
                          If we weren't, you wouldn't love us. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
                            Damn strait.
                            George Strait?

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                              George Strait?
                              He's crazy?

Comment

Working...
                              X