Some Question about Korean War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Question about Korean War

1. In the UN council poll, the USSR didn't veto the resolution.
    2. How many USSR troops or fighters are there then? Why the US air forces are dominating?
    3. How was the war controled not to expand to one entire war?
    4. Why not nuke China(Douglas MacArthur did suggest the congress) while at that time china have not the nuclear arm yet?
    5. If the Us is without the air superiority, will South Korea still exist?

...Sorry, it seems the post is not in the proper series, how to move it?
    What gets measured can be improved

Son,

We're not google

Comment

Originally posted by Squall View Post
      2. How many USSR troops or fighters are there then? Why the US air forces are dominating?
      4. Why not nuke China(Douglas MacArthur did suggest the congress) while at that time china have not the nuclear arm yet?

Squall,

The mods can move this to 'warfare in the modern world'. If they don't do it in a day or so PM Officer Of Engineers, Parihaka, Ironduke or Shek, they will take care of it.

Not my area of expertise, but I can give a little help:

1) The Russian UN ambassador was boycotting the council at the time of the vote - Oops!

2) This is 2 questions. I think there were Russian advisors & perhaps some pilots, but not much more. DK about the rest.

3) If you mean how did it not become WW3? because neither Russia nor the US were prepared to stage WW3 over Korea.

4) See above. Nuking China risked a wider war, as did invading & bombing China. Mao already thought there was a wider war, Truman didn't want it, Stalin didn't want it, MacArthur did. He tried to push for a wider war & got his ass sacked.

5) DK but probably.

There are a few guys around here who know their Korean war stuff much better than me. Hopefully they will chime in.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        2) This is 2 questions. I think there were Russian advisors & perhaps some pilots, but not much more. DK about the rest.
        according to a number of North Korean Mig-15 pilots who defected (incl No Kum Sok and Lee In Sung) the Russians fielded a full squadron of pilots into NorK badged Russian owned Mig-15's. The russian 15's were superior platforms (higher thrust apparently)

The russians apparently spent more time in the special zone buying bits and pieces for home that weren't available in russia (how things have changed!). they also spent a considerable amount of time getting "brahms and lizst" and didn't have much regard for either the NorKs or Chinese (who were also flying rebadged chinese 15's)

He states quite clearly that they were less than stellar as combat pilots and that in the end they refused to go up when US jets ran bait and switch tactics (Sabres were regarded as far superior, and he flew both the 15 (natch) and the Sabre when he was in the US.
        Linkeden:
        http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
        http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Son,

We're not google
          Sorry, Sir.

i could've post something searched in google.
          it's better to just list questions if i know what i know and i can search from Google is limited after months diving in the WAB.

Comment

All rephrase your questions into exactly what you want to know. What you've listed thus far, I can easily find out through google. What do you want to know? Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              Squall,

Not my area of expertise, but I can give a little help:

1) The Russian UN ambassador was boycotting the council at the time of the vote - Oops!

Thank you sir
              There're three opinions about the most responsible war starter, the NK, PRC, USSR. It's hard to figure out acctually who is the planer.
              3) If you mean how did it not become WW3? because neither Russia nor the US were prepared to stage WW3 over Korea.

4) See above. Nuking China risked a wider war, as did invading & bombing China. Mao already thought there was a wider war, Truman didn't want it, Stalin didn't want it, MacArthur did. He tried to push for a wider war & got his ass sacked.
              Why a cold war without a bullet or blood can probably lead to a WW3 while an acctual incandesce war with millions of casualtie cannot...

Comment

Thank you sir
                There're three opinions about the most responsible war starter, the NK, PRC, USSR. It's hard to figure out acctually who is the planer.
                All 3.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=2928

Why a cold war without a bullet or blood can probably lead to a WW3 while an acctual incandesce war with millions of casualtie cannot...
                Mainly because both Kim and Mao think too much of themselves. Stalin and Truman knew the real war would be won or lost in Europe, not Asia.
                Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 15 Nov 08,, 06:50.

Comment

1: Soviet boycott UN for PRC's seat( a conspiracy perhaps)
                  3 US's attention was captured by Korea war and the Soviet's odds in europe piled up```````US's core interests was in Europe so they cannot take the risks in far east.
                  4 western europe do not agree. Britain PM visited US for that matter. If US can nuke a soviet's ally and went out freelly, what would prevent Soviet nuke Fra, GRE, BRI in time of conflict````````` THat may set a terrible example: Soveit-US nuke each other's proxies in regional conflicts
                  5 No, I personally dont think so.

2: my historical teacher once told me more than 300 soviet polite(of NK war) forever rested in China, and they enjoyed a better kill-ratio.

The problem is command and range``````they only fight near border and adopted a defence strategy for political and diplomatic reasons
                  Last edited by ever4244; 07 Nov 08,, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by ever4244 View Post
                    4 western europe do not agree. Britain PM visited US for that matter. If US can nuke a soviet's ally and went out freelly, what would prevent Soviet nuke Fra, GRE, BRI in time of conflict````````` THat may set a terrible example: Soveit-US nuke each other's proxies in regional conflicts
                    There were less than 60 warheads in the entire world at the time. Do you actually think we were going to waste them on China?

5 No, I personally dont think so.
                    You're wrong. American artillery did more than airpower.

2: my historical teacher once told me more than 300 soviet polite(of NK war) forever rested in China, and they enjoyed a better kill-ratio.
                    He doesn't know what he's talking about. A simple look at the squadron deployments would have told you who did what and when.

Comment

The Russians were doing far more then just giving weapons. "Mig Alley" comes to mind. Not only were their Russian pilots flying Russian aircraft but senior advisors as well on tactics and the like. We knew they were there as reconnisance showed and even caught a few pictures of them on the runways.;)
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        The Russians were doing far more then just giving weapons. "Mig Alley" comes to mind. Not only were their Russian pilots flying Russian aircraft but senior advisors as well on tactics and the like. We knew they were there as reconnisance showed and even caught a few pictures of them on the runways.;)
                        Not too many blond North Koreans....;).
                        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Anyway, chinese should thank US troops for having killed the "prince" of MAO in the battle.

Comment

The USSR was boycotting the UN over the UN's refusal to kick RoC out of the UN.

IIRC the 56IAP was sent to Korea. They shot down a lot of US aircraft. However their claims vs the F-86 do not hold up under scrutiny. A comparison of admitted losses for the period of time the "Honchos" were in Korea show more Mig's being lost than F-86's. A couple of migs were shot down by bombers and other UN aircraft but some f-86's were also brought down by ground fire and the occasional lucky greenhorn. So they should cancel out.

I think your asking why didn't WWIII break out? Because by 1950 the USSR had the bomb.

Because China was protected by the USSR. if we nuked China, they nuked Europe.

possibly not. Us air power was crucial in slowing down the initial NK offensive and it cutting the supply lines. The difference might have let the Norks move fast enough to bust Pusan.

Comment

Z,

The North Koreans could not have moved any faster with or without American air interference. They were a foot army right on the heels of the South Koreans and more often than not, the infantry outran the artillery. I don't see how they could move any faster without some motor transport.

Comment

Working...
                              X