Visiting USS New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting USS New Jersey

And here are just a few...took a couple hundred.
    Even got a shot or 3 of USS Olympia, but we were too late to tour her. Maybe next time :(

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Do you have any close up pictures of the visitor access structures? Would it be possible to get a set of drawings of them for me?
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      Do you have any close up pictures of the visitor access structures? Would it be possible to get a set of drawings of them for me?
      Dunno about the plans but I've got at least one and maybe a couple of the access structure pictures, mainly when I was shooting along the side of the ship to capture the hull lines. I'll e-mail them to you full-size.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Man! thats the thickest doors I have ever seen, The sailors must be real strongmen to open and close them

Comment

To repeat what I said in the other thread:

I was lucky enough to tour it myself two years ago.

Very small door ways, small cabins and super narrow staircases with thin stairs. If you are a person of considerable size you may be a bit uncomfortable. I don't know how tall you are TH but I slammed my head at least five times.:( Cramming 230lbs of me though the small doorways was quite a sight. Somehow I still loved it. :))

My friend Barry slid down one of the staircases because of how thin they are. :))

My favorite part was the depleted uranium gun turret, did you snap a picture of it?

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
            My favorite part was the depleted uranium gun turret, did you snap a picture of it?
            A couple :)

Also a perspective of how thick that door is. I don't exactly have big hands, but you get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              A couple :)

[IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/00125467.jpg[/IMG
              Niiiice. That was my favorite part of the tour, not only because it was outdoors and had no low doorways for me to concuss myself with. :))

My hands are pretty large and they were also dwarfed by the thickness of the door, unfortunately I dwarfed the inner compartments. ;)

Comment

TH,

We couldve made a WAB meetup in Jersey :(
                A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

These are pretty interesting, are you going to post more?
                  Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

FYI:
                    The 17" thick doors to the Conning Tower are opened and closed by hand cranked gears. They, as well as the Tower itself, is Class B armor. Basically the same formula of Class A but not face hardened by heat treating.

I got those pics dread and they look just about the right kind of visitor accesses we can use to get up to the Hangar deck of the ------.

Comment

Also, next time you are on board and look at the bottom side of the turret bustles, you will see two hatches. One about centerline of the turret for normal access. There is another to the right for equipment passage but is basically a free-falling hatch.

You will see a warning sign on it that it weighs 500 lbs.

We had to make up those warning signs after some youn engineer from NAVSEA decided to "inspect" that hatch on Turret I and un-dogged it from underneath with nobody above to lower it with a line. Unfortunately for him, he was on the hinge side. That hatch swung down, caught him under the chin and sent him flying backwards several feet.

After he got out of the hospital he was much more cautious about opening ship hatches.

Comment

Well done TH. :) Now how about posting a picture of Dreadnaught?
                        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                          Well done TH. :) Now how about posting a picture of Dreadnaught?
                          Certainly! :)
                          Attached Files

Comment

And here are just a few...took a couple hundred.
                            Even got a shot or 3 of USS Olympia, but we were too late to tour her. Maybe next time :(

All the pictures are fantastic, but these are my favorites. So many places to explore in the first picture and the second picture shows the immense size of ship. :)

Although being short (5'1") I don't think I would have any problem getting around and fear hitting my head on anything!

Dang, and to think that I almost joined the Navy instead of the Air Force. :(
                            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                            sigpic

Comment

Certainly! :)
                              Gee thanks, Joe. I always said you were all heart! :))
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
                              X