PDA

View Full Version : Visiting USS New Jersey

TopHatter
17 Jun 08,, 00:59
And here are just a few...took a couple hundred. :redface:
Even got a shot or 3 of USS Olympia, but we were too late to tour her. Maybe next time :(

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/163a8157.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/9a3172de.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/c8547355.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/bb34bd0c.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/ec1e8774.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/257a4d23.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/9cced17e.jpg

RustyBattleship
17 Jun 08,, 01:07
Do you have any close up pictures of the visitor access structures? Would it be possible to get a set of drawings of them for me?

TopHatter
17 Jun 08,, 01:46
Do you have any close up pictures of the visitor access structures? Would it be possible to get a set of drawings of them for me?

Dunno about the plans but I've got at least one and maybe a couple of the access structure pictures, mainly when I was shooting along the side of the ship to capture the hull lines. I'll e-mail them to you full-size.

firestar
17 Jun 08,, 02:12
Man! thats the thickest doors I have ever seen, The sailors must be real strongmen to open and close them

jame$thegreat
17 Jun 08,, 02:53
To repeat what I said in the other thread:

I was lucky enough to tour it myself two years ago.

Very small door ways, small cabins and super narrow staircases with thin stairs. If you are a person of considerable size you may be a bit uncomfortable. I don't know how tall you are TH but I slammed my head at least five times.:( Cramming 230lbs of me though the small doorways was quite a sight. Somehow I still loved it. :))

My friend Barry slid down one of the staircases because of how thin they are. :))

My favorite part was the depleted uranium gun turret, did you snap a picture of it?

TopHatter
17 Jun 08,, 03:13
My favorite part was the depleted uranium gun turret, did you snap a picture of it?

A couple :)

Also a perspective of how thick that door is. I don't exactly have big hands, but you get the idea.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/53889e11-1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/00125467.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/165688f1.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/3ed34316.jpg

jame$thegreat
17 Jun 08,, 03:21
A couple :)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/53889e11-1.jpg

[IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/00125467.jpg[/IMG

Niiiice. That was my favorite part of the tour, not only because it was outdoors and had no low doorways for me to concuss myself with. :))

My hands are pretty large and they were also dwarfed by the thickness of the door, unfortunately I dwarfed the inner compartments. ;)

Jay
17 Jun 08,, 04:25
TH,

We couldve made a WAB meetup in Jersey :(

Debbie
17 Jun 08,, 04:57
These are pretty interesting, are you going to post more?

RustyBattleship
17 Jun 08,, 06:38
FYI:
The 17" thick doors to the Conning Tower are opened and closed by hand cranked gears. They, as well as the Tower itself, is Class B armor. Basically the same formula of Class A but not face hardened by heat treating.

I got those pics dread and they look just about the right kind of visitor accesses we can use to get up to the Hangar deck of the ------.

RustyBattleship
17 Jun 08,, 06:45
Also, next time you are on board and look at the bottom side of the turret bustles, you will see two hatches. One about centerline of the turret for normal access. There is another to the right for equipment passage but is basically a free-falling hatch.

You will see a warning sign on it that it weighs 500 lbs.

We had to make up those warning signs after some youn engineer from NAVSEA decided to "inspect" that hatch on Turret I and un-dogged it from underneath with nobody above to lower it with a line. Unfortunately for him, he was on the hinge side. That hatch swung down, caught him under the chin and sent him flying backwards several feet.

After he got out of the hospital he was much more cautious about opening ship hatches.

glyn
17 Jun 08,, 11:56
Well done TH. :) Now how about posting a picture of Dreadnaught?

TopHatter
17 Jun 08,, 13:15
Well done TH. :) Now how about posting a picture of Dreadnaught?

Certainly! :)

Southie
17 Jun 08,, 13:37
And here are just a few...took a couple hundred. :redface:
Even got a shot or 3 of USS Olympia, but we were too late to tour her. Maybe next time :(

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/c8547355.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/ec1e8774.jpg

All the pictures are fantastic, but these are my favorites. So many places to explore in the first picture and the second picture shows the immense size of ship. :)

Although being short (5'1") I don't think I would have any problem getting around and fear hitting my head on anything! :biggrin:

Dang, and to think that I almost joined the Navy instead of the Air Force. :(

glyn
17 Jun 08,, 14:22
Certainly! :)

Gee thanks, Joe. I always said you were all heart! :))

Dreadnought
17 Jun 08,, 14:58
FYI:
The 17" thick doors to the Conning Tower are opened and closed by hand cranked gears. They, as well as the Tower itself, is Class B armor. Basically the same formula of Class A but not face hardened by heat treating.

I got those pics dread and they look just about the right kind of visitor accesses we can use to get up to the Hangar deck of the ------.

Ranger;) (The only other one is in San Diego (Midway) and she is already a museum)

Rusty, If you like over a few days I may be able to find out who designed it and perhaps get you some names.

Debbie
17 Jun 08,, 15:13
Glyn - these boys are camera shy although I'm sure they have no reason to be. :) We got a closeup hand shot though, looks like that is the best all of us are going to get. Look at the one where a person is actually in the photo - that could be anybody and we wouldn't know it.

Do like all the photos though, looks like it was a very interesting time.

GAU-8
17 Jun 08,, 15:50
How did you like seeing the USS Olympia? Any interesting tidbits about her you could share?

TopHatter
17 Jun 08,, 20:27
All the pictures are fantastic, but these are my favorites. So many places to explore in the first picture and the second picture shows the immense size of ship. (

That's true, the museum folks have opened up that ship to a huge degree and from what I understand, they are working really hard to open up even more.

And yes, you'd have no problem with the low height clearances :)

Gee thanks, Joe. I always said you were all heart! :)) I'm under orders, you understand. :redface:

Glyn - these boys are camera shy although I'm sure they have no reason to be. :) We got a closeup hand shot though, looks like that is the best all of us are going to get.

I'm working on it :)
My dad has a lot of the shots of me on his camera. He hasn't sent all of them yet.

How did you like seeing the USS Olympia? Any interesting tidbits about her you could share?
Didn't really get to see anything up close, just the shot that I posted. :(

Nice history though. Having seen the Constitution, the Olympia, the New Jersey and the Hue City, all up close, it's fascinating how things have changed over 200 yeras.

RustyBattleship
17 Jun 08,, 20:40
The Battleship designs were actually of a pre-war concept (though many of the plans were not finished until after Pearl Harbor) and Americans were a bit shorter then.

The overhead clearances of all the decks (except 2nd deck in some areas) is only 7'-6". Most ships designed later, including Destroyers, had an 8-foot overhead. Modern ships with the massive electronics and enormous air conditioning ducts have 10-foot overheads in some areas.

Stitch
17 Jun 08,, 23:40
The Battleship designs were actually of a pre-war concept (though many of the plans were not finished until after Pearl Harbor) and Americans were a bit shorter then.

The overhead clearances of all the decks (except 2nd deck in some areas) is only 7'-6". Most ships designed later, including Destroyers, had an 8-foot overhead. Modern ships with the massive electronics and enormous air conditioning ducts have 10-foot overheads in some areas.

Along those lines, I just spent a weekend aboard the USS Hornet out here on the West Coast (yes, overnight also), and all of the ceilings on the ship were only about 7', not including all of the ducting and conduits and pipes hanging down. I'm assuming that had something to do with trying to cram as many decks as possible into a limited amount of space. The only areas that were taller than that were the hanger deck (of course) and the engineering spaces (for obvious reasons). Even the bridge had a fairly low ceiling.

RustyBattleship
18 Jun 08,, 01:25
Oh oh. Have to correct myself. On the Battleships the overheads are ONLY 7 feet high. I was thinking of the fact we had to lower clearances from 6'-6" to only 6'-4".

jame$thegreat
18 Jun 08,, 03:38
Oh oh. Have to correct myself. On the Battleships the overheads are ONLY 7 feet high. I was thinking of the fact we had to lower clearances from 6'-6" to only 6'-4".

I was only 6' 1" (now 6' 3") when I toured the USS New Jersey, I had quite a bit of trouble cramming myself through doorways and walking under low-hanging conduits. Would you happen to know how tall the openings between compartments are? (From the bottom lip to the top, sorry I don't know the real term for it:redface:)

RustyBattleship
18 Jun 08,, 04:36
I was only 6' 1" (now 6' 3") when I toured the USS New Jersey, I had quite a bit of trouble cramming myself through doorways and walking under low-hanging conduits. Would you happen to know how tall the openings between compartments are? (From the bottom lip to the top, sorry I don't know the real term for it:redface:)

If you are talking about watertight doors their inside dimensions are
26" X 66" with a 9" sill. Some doors to certain spaces are only 54" high. The door sills in broadway are quite a bit higher because the damage control line is only 9" below the sill.

Most metal joiner (sheet metal) doors are 26" X 74". I'm 5'-11" and with my high heeled work boots and hard hat on I have to duck also. I use high heeled 9" tall work boots for grip on vertical ladders and the height allows me to lace them up real tight to prevent ankle sprains.

The doors to the escape trunks at the bottom of the machinery spaces are only 18" X 36" with an 18" sill.

TopHatter
18 Jun 08,, 04:58
Turret One, less cramped than the others, thanks to being "earless".

Amazing how much of that ship is still fully active...like the firing buzzer! :))

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/TopHatter1975/654f55e1-1.jpg

Ytlas
18 Jun 08,, 05:53
Well, after reading all the posts and looking at all the pictures, I have learned one thing.....

Grasshopper does a pretty fair job of chewing his fingernails

BTW, after seeing the above picture, isn't it time to quit misleading us about your age?

JAD_333
18 Jun 08,, 06:50
TH

Great pixs. Do you have any info on the clipper ship in the background?

Stitch
18 Jun 08,, 08:15
RB, got a question for you: on the Hornet, some of the doors were marked with a stainless steel label "X", some with a "Y", and some with a "Z". It seems the larger doors were marked with an "X", the smaller doors (sometimes inside the larger "X" doors) were marked with a "Y", and the hatches were marked with a "Z". Does this have anything to do with battle stations? One of the guys who was on-board with me (and knows a little more about the Navy than I do) said the "X" doors are doors that can be left open while in port (but dogged when at sea), the "Y" doors are the only doors that can be opened while at sea, and the "Z" doors can only be opened when the ship is at battle stations. Is this correct?

Dreadnought
18 Jun 08,, 15:27
Along those lines, I just spent a weekend aboard the USS Hornet out here on the West Coast (yes, overnight also), and all of the ceilings on the ship were only about 7', not including all of the ducting and conduits and pipes hanging down. I'm assuming that had something to do with trying to cram as many decks as possible into a limited amount of space. The only areas that were taller than that were the hanger deck (of course) and the engineering spaces (for obvious reasons). Even the bridge had a fairly low ceiling.

No ceilings on USN warships only "overheads".;)

Ytlas
18 Jun 08,, 15:38
No ceilings on USN warships only "overheads".;)

Hmmm.. ya got one on an "overhead" comment, but ya let a "staircase" slip through on an earlier thread... :)

So, you gave Grasshopper the $1.99 tour? In person is he really the $&%@* that he is in his emails? :):)

Dreadnought
18 Jun 08,, 16:04
Hmmm.. ya got one on an "overhead" comment, but ya let a "staircase" slip through on an earlier thread... :)

So, you gave Grasshopper the $1.99 tour? In person is he really the $&%@* that he is in his emails? :):)

Like a kid in a candy store Pal. He's quite knowledgable and it was a pleasure having himself, friend and his pop aboard. His pop reminded me of someone that has since left me sometime ago:redface:

Debbie
18 Jun 08,, 16:29
Well, after reading all the posts and looking at all the pictures, I have learned one thing.....

Grasshopper does a pretty fair job of chewing his fingernails

BTW, after seeing the above picture, isn't it time to quit misleading us about your age?

Nail biter - would bet on it. Now leave the poor boy alone, doesn't look over 45 to me at all. :)):)) Least he doesn't have to take a lawn mower to the body hair, far as I can tell.:biggrin::P

Ytlas
18 Jun 08,, 17:15
Nail biter - would bet on it. Now leave the poor boy alone, doesn't look over 45 to me at all.

:)

Least he doesn't have to take a lawn mower to the body hair, far as I can tell.

Don't ever plan on getting close enough to find out. It appears to have stopped coming out of his scalp.

TopHatter
18 Jun 08,, 19:43
BTW, after seeing the above picture, isn't it time to quit misleading us about your age?Really? What age do you suggest I put down on my bio? :)

Besides, are your bowling shoes facing some serious competition or something. :))

Great pixs. Do you have any info on the clipper ship in the background?The Moshulu, over 100 years old she is!

That's a restaurant and apparently it had to be rebuilt after a fire in 1989.

Here's her website .:: Moshulu Restaurant & Bar ::. (http://www.moshulu.com/site/history.asp)

You're damn right I am :))

Don't ever plan on getting close enough to find out. It appears to have stopped coming out of his scalp.

It sure has...what a cosmic joke that's been played on my follicles :frown:

As for not getting close enough to find out, then you'll do well to take care next year, because we've already decided on our next trip: San Diego! :))

Ytlas
18 Jun 08,, 20:06
Besides, are your bowling shoes facing some serious competition or something.

As for not getting close enough to find out, then you'll do well to take care next year, because we've already decided on our next trip: San Diego!

You had me thinking on the bowling shoe comment. My bowling shoes don't have hair on the top of them either, and they are creased (wrinkled). I don't use them any more and don't miss them.

I haven't been down to North Island/32nd Street area since 1996. North Island and the San Diego Zoo are very close to each other. Just be sure you're clean shaven if you decide to go to the Zoo.

Seriously, you let me know when you're going to be in San Diego and I'll make sure I'll be in Las Vegas those days.

Parihaka
18 Jun 08,, 23:37
You had me thinking on the bowling shoe comment. My bowling shoes don't have hair on the top of them either, and they are creased (wrinkled). I don't use them any more and don't miss them.

I haven't been down to North Island/32nd Street area since 1996. North Island and the San Diego Zoo are very close to each other. Just be sure you're clean shaven if you decide to go to the Zoo.

Seriously, you let me know when you're going to be in San Diego and I'll make sure I'll be in Las Vegas those days.

You turn such a nice insult I'm surprised you're not a new Zealander:)

dave lukins
18 Jun 08,, 23:55
Nail biter - would bet on it. Now leave the poor boy alone, doesn't look over 45 to me at all. :)):)) Least he doesn't have to take a lawn mower to the body hair, far as I can tell.:biggrin::P

I can't lay on a lawn too long if there is a sound of a petrol mower. I don't look good in stripes:))

TopHatter
19 Jun 08,, 00:20
You had me thinking on the bowling shoe comment. My bowling shoes don't have hair on the top of them either, and they are creased (wrinkled). I don't use them any more and don't miss them.Ah yes, but they are older than me, no? Or at least that's what you've been telling me for the last 10-something years. :))

Deal :)

You turn such a nice insult I'm surprised you're not a new Zealander:)I've been getting that kind of guff from him for years. There's a reason they call him "Salty" :))

RustyBattleship
19 Jun 08,, 00:55
Just a few notes here based upon the above comments. According to TopHatter's profile he is one month and one week younger than my daughter WHO IS STILL WAITING TO HAVE HER BABY. Been in the hospital since noon yesterday. When her water broke, they found he had already taken his first poop.

As for door markings, they indicate which ones must be closed or could stay open during various conditions of ship's readiness. It all depends upon the amount of WATERTIGHT INTEGRITY required. Condition Zebra means don't open at anytime for any reason until Condition Yoke or X-Ray is called or if you have to evacuate the compartment.

If you look you will probaby find a couple of doors with a W inside a Circle. That's the decontamination stations in case of Chemical, Biological or Radiological attack.

Sermon: Watertight Integrity : Matt Tittle (http://www.austinuu.org/sermons/2004/2004-02-22-WatertightIntegrity.html)

This is a fairly good post on watertight requirements and door signs. I couldn't find any mention of Circle W in it but I know we built two decon stations into New Jersey. One on the Port side up forward and one on the Starboard side back aft. I was surprised by my inspection of the Iowa a couple of years ago that decon stations had not yet been installed on the ship. The other three did.

Ceilings and Floors. Yes, some ships DO have a Ceiling and all ships DO have floors. BUT, you can walk on the ceiling but not on the floors.

Maybe I should leave that one for the Navy Quiz.

Ytlas
19 Jun 08,, 01:00
As for not getting close enough to find out, then you'll do well to take care next year, because we've already decided on our next trip: San Diego! :))

You couldn't seriously expect me to drive 125 miles just to say hi and tour the Midway. I wouldn't drive 17 miles to see the Ranger if cRusty and his organization manage to secure the ship. I don't even know where that damn park is where are the shipyarder's bricks are.

It's been nearly 11 years since LBNSY/Naval Station closed, and I had been going there since 1965, yet the closest I've been to the area is about 7 miles away. So much for sentimentality

Anyway, it's been about 2 days since you started this New Jersey thread, where are the new pictures? Hmmm?

JAD_333
19 Jun 08,, 05:39
The Moshulu, over 100 years old she is!

That's a restaurant and apparently it had to be rebuilt after a fire in 1989.

Here's her website .:: Moshulu Restaurant & Bar ::. (http://www.moshulu.com/site/history.asp)

Thanks, TH. She's a beaut. The rigging looks a bit bare; I'd guess the masts and spars are for looks not use.

Ytlas
19 Jun 08,, 14:17
I've been getting that kind of guff from him for years. There's a reason they call him "Salty"

Ok, Peter Joseph Hat-Topper

Debbie
19 Jun 08,, 15:20
Anyway, it's been about 2 days since you started this New Jersey thread, where are the new pictures? Hmmm?

Ditto.............

Ytlas
19 Jun 08,, 16:41
Ditto.............

Don't you just hate it when a person just can't delilver the goods?

Or pictures, for that matter..... :biggrin:

It's ok if you're in a lot of the pictures, I didn't really mean anything I wrote about your age although I wouldn't want to be that age again.

Debbie
19 Jun 08,, 18:14
Don't you just hate it when a person just can't delilver the goods?

Or pictures, for that matter..... :biggrin:

You are way too funny and I believe that TH delivers.............eventually;)

dave lukins
19 Jun 08,, 18:22
You are way too funny and I believe that TH delivers.............eventually;)

Is this sub-minimal gutter language:)) Miss Debbie

glyn
19 Jun 08,, 18:33

Not if he works for FedEx Mr Lukins. :)[/SIZE]

Debbie
20 Jun 08,, 20:53

My dear Mr. Lukins alias StudMuffin, I've heard of subliminal but not subminimal......perhaps the latter just uses fewer words?

Ytlas
22 Jun 08,, 00:49
That's true, the museum folks have opened up that ship to a huge degree and from what I understand, they are working really hard to open up even more.

And yes, you'd have no problem with the low height clearances

Do we have a conspiracy to perpetrate a hoax? :eek: Did Grasshopper really visit the Jersey or was it an elaborate scheme cooked up by Dread(full) and himself???

The interior close up picture of Grasshopper in the barbett could have been taken during his visit on the USS Alabama a few years ago. They all look alike, don't they? The only exterior shot posted identifying the Jersey and Grasshopper was taken so far away that anyone could have stood in front of the turret to be identified as Grasshopper. It would have been nice for him to pose in the exact same position that cRusty did, some 26 years earlier. (in cRusty's current Avatar, probably due to be changed at the stroke of midnight)

What areas did you visit, how was Broadway? I don’t see a horizontal red line across your forehead from whacking the top of a door or “I” beam. How was the brig? Where's Dreads input on this?? I'd like some battleship stories.

Hmmm… Suspicious :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm bored, time to watch the baseball game.

Dreadnought
28 Jun 08,, 00:02
Just a few notes here based upon the above comments. According to TopHatter's profile he is one month and one week younger than my daughter WHO IS STILL WAITING TO HAVE HER BABY. Been in the hospital since noon yesterday. When her water broke, they found he had already taken his first poop.

As for door markings, they indicate which ones must be closed or could stay open during various conditions of ship's readiness. It all depends upon the amount of WATERTIGHT INTEGRITY required. Condition Zebra means don't open at anytime for any reason until Condition Yoke or X-Ray is called or if you have to evacuate the compartment.

If you look you will probaby find a couple of doors with a W inside a Circle. That's the decontamination stations in case of Chemical, Biological or Radiological attack.

Sermon: Watertight Integrity : Matt Tittle (http://www.austinuu.org/sermons/2004/2004-02-22-WatertightIntegrity.html)

This is a fairly good post on watertight requirements and door signs. I couldn't find any mention of Circle W in it but I know we built two decon stations into New Jersey. One on the Port side up forward and one on the Starboard side back aft. I was surprised by my inspection of the Iowa a couple of years ago that decon stations had not yet been installed on the ship. The other three did.

Ceilings and Floors. Yes, some ships DO have a Ceiling and all ships DO have floors. BUT, you can walk on the ceiling but not on the floors.

Maybe I should leave that one for the Navy Quiz.

Hello Mr. L.,

A brief definiation of condition "circle william"-

Condition Circle William - buttoning up the ship, maneuvering to get upwind of the chemical cloud, and having the crew wear gas masks and protective clothing, the U.S. Navy is in a very good position to defeat a chemical warfare attack and keep fighting.

Circle William fittings (usually ventilation and certain openings marked with a black 'W' in a black circle) are normally kept open, but must be secured during CBR attack. This is one of the hardest parts of the CBR defense environment. Commanding officers must cope with reality of heat stress management in engineering spaces and devise plans to effectively man those spaces and keep the ship operating in a CBR environment. These plans should be incorporated in the CO's fighting instructions and are actively rehearsed prior to entering the chemical warfare threat area.

"We're in good shape in the Persian Gulf," CAPT Rinn said, "as far as defending against a chemical warfare attack. We have excellent equipment, including detectors; we're capable, well trained and we can fight."

CAPT Rinn described the equipment aboard ships as "tested and proven in a live agent environment." He cites the Mark V gas mask as an effective piece of equipment and the Navy's current process to replace the Mark V with the new MCU-2/P mask, a state of the art improvement that is comparable to any mask in the world today. Its production and distribution are part of an ongoing program designed to modernize the chemical warfare defense capability on every U.S. Navy ship.

We keep the "T-bars" (for buttoning up the air inlets etc for condition "circle william") hanging on the walls at both ends of broadway and the hatches are clearly marked to be closed and dogged tight for this condition. And as you mentioned the decontam stations on both Port and Starboard side aft.

Dreadnought
28 Jun 08,, 00:29
Do we have a conspiracy to perpetrate a hoax? :eek: Did Grasshopper really visit the Jersey or was it an elaborate scheme cooked up by Dread(full) and himself???

The interior close up picture of Grasshopper in the barbett could have been taken during his visit on the USS Alabama a few years ago. They all look alike, don't they? The only exterior shot posted identifying the Jersey and Grasshopper was taken so far away that anyone could have stood in front of the turret to be identified as Grasshopper. It would have been nice for him to pose in the exact same position that cRusty did, some 26 years earlier. (in cRusty's current Avatar, probably due to be changed at the stroke of midnight)

What areas did you visit, how was Broadway? I don’t see a horizontal red line across your forehead from whacking the top of a door or “I” beam. How was the brig? Where's Dreads input on this?? I'd like some battleship stories.

Hmmm… Suspicious :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm bored, time to watch the baseball game.

Hi Pal,
I'm sure he has some real good pics of his journey, well that his friend and his father the good captain TH .I basically showed him every place he wanted to go with exception to Broadway. We walked past and were able to look down however because of the continuing work down there could not venture further. He pretty much did see alot of the ship and I invited him (and whomever he might bring) back for when Engineering Spaces opens to the public. We pretty much started uptop at the 05 level around the missle decks,CIWS mounts (since we have them all) helo ops, SRBOC platform, Toms,Harpoons,Original FCR atop Conning Tower, Sky 1 and Sky 3 (Radar mounts for the 5"/38's) etc and the open Navigation bridge. Then the main bridge and main Conn and the Conning Tower worked our way down to the Admirals/Signal Bridge, CEC (ran a few simulations for him and showed him and friends around CEC and the equiptment), Captains In-port and At Sea cabin (Stateroom), also other places such as Officers Ward, Lounge, XO's cabin (stateroom) Boat launches, Expansion joint, Fueling Boom,Seasprite Helo, Helo Ops shack, (and damage) Stern 40mm tubs, and the UAV shop and its containment. Then into Forward Berthing, Anchor Windlass, Turret #1 (As seen in the pic with him holding the Salvo warning) The South Dakota class turrets are smaller I believe and the equipment arrangement is a bit different as well. (But the murals in the background will tell you its not any of the Dakotas) Turret #3 (so he could see the original manual rangefiners), The open 16" gun breech, and Mount #51 (Starboard side) 5"/38. Then down into the Medical facilities, Denistry, Machine Shops, Heat Treat, Elect motor Shop, Radio Room, past the CCTV studio,Sail Loft, Hull Techs shops and Carpentry, and Post Office. Then down through the museums (And yes I let him build his very own battleship with blocks:))) and into the mess decks to the Chapel, CPO's mess, and down into the Brig,Cobbler Shops,Print Shops,Laundry Shops,Dry Cleaning,Ships Store and back to the mess decks for lunch. (By the way now we are able to actually use the mess kitchens) and the food is pretty good from what I have eaten there. Finally I let him go take pictures all he wanted so long as he followed the rules. (He did during the outting we had as well but this was incase he missed anything he wanted.)

Its no hoax I assure you.
P.S. If he posts even half of his pics this thread will grow "easily" by atleast 5 pages.

Ytlas
28 Jun 08,, 00:52
We keep the "T-bars" (for buttoning up the air inlets etc for condition "circle william") hanging on the walls at both ends of broadway and the hatches are clearly marked to be closed and dogged tight for this condition. And as you mentioned the decontam stations on both Port and Starboard side aft.

Are those "walls" located near any of the bulkheads on Broadway? :))

I feel slighted, you answered cRusty's post before mine :)):))

Dreadnought
30 Jun 08,, 15:30
Are those "walls" located near any of the bulkheads on Broadway? :))

I feel slighted, you answered cRusty's post before mine :)):))

You will have to forgive me for the terminology (I've been painting for the last five days walls,railings etc.) and yes the "t-bars" are hanging on the bulkheads.:redface:

P.S. Dont feel slighted I treat all Californiaians the same.:))

Ytlas
30 Jun 08,, 16:55
You will have to forgive me for the terminology (I've been painting for the last five days walls,railings etc.) and yes the "t-bars" are hanging on the bulkheads.

Did you also get the ceilings or overheads? (depending on if you're a landlubber)

P.S. Dont feel slighted I treat all Californiaians the same.

Sir, I have to respectifully disagree with the above statement about treating All Californian's the same. I seem to recollect in a string about the Iowa, that you have distain for the current inhabitants of San Francisco. I used to live in San Franscisco back in early 1958. :)
(How did you like the formal reply?)

Dreadnought
30 Jun 08,, 17:22
Did you also get the ceilings or overheads? (depending on if you're a landlubber)

Yes, I was painting landside for the last few days and very glad its over with. Turned out pretty nice I might add.:)

Sir, I have to respectifully disagree with the above statement about treating All Californian's the same. I seem to recollect in a string about the Iowa, that you have distain for the current inhabitants of San Francisco. I used to live in San Franscisco back in early 1958. :)
(How did you like the formal reply?)

Pal, I do have several friends that live in California. San Francisco to me is a rather "pink elephant" within the state. Not to be confused with the good people of California such as San Diego and many others. I have to admit you are correct and it did not come out in the right manner. My bust.:redface:

I have not been there in some time (2 years or so) but I enjoyed every time I was in town. San Francisco is not a bad place. That is when viewed from the Presidio.:)) And besides I can just about get along with any shipbuilder or bilge rat.:)

Ytlas
30 Jun 08,, 20:12
I have not been there in some time (2 years or so) but I enjoyed every time I was in town. San Francisco is not a bad place. That is when viewed from the Presidio.:)) And besides I can just about get along with any shipbuilder or bilge rat.:)

Well, to be fair, I'll extend the same offer to you that I did to Grasshopper/TopHatter/PeterJoseph... Let me know when you're going to be out here and I'll make sure I'm in Vegas. (I do get free rooms all the time and do go there 6 times a year).

Actually, if we can get cRusty away from diaper duty we might be able to have breakfast or brunch. Just remember to keep your hands at least 12" away from cRusty's plate when he's wielding a knife and a fork. :biggrin:

Dreadnought
01 Jul 08,, 15:05
Well, to be fair, I'll extend the same offer to you that I did to Grasshopper/TopHatter/PeterJoseph... Let me know when you're going to be out here and I'll make sure I'm in Vegas. (I do get free rooms all the time and do go there 6 times a year).

Actually, if we can get cRusty away from diaper duty we might be able to have breakfast or brunch. Just remember to keep your hands at least 12" away from cRusty's plate when he's wielding a knife and a fork. :biggrin:

Many thanks Pal, I would have never figured you for a gambling man. But I guess if it keeps all well to each his own and as we know what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas:)).

When I do come back I have a friend I need to visit onboard the Midway in San Diego. Havent seen him in a long long time. And ofcourse it would be my pleasure to have brunch/lunch/beers with yourself and Rusty.

By the way if we need give 12" of clearance for Rusty when hes wielding a knife and a fork I wonder how much clearance he needs for a cutting torch or air arc.:)):eek:

Ytlas
01 Jul 08,, 20:31
When I do come back I have a friend I need to visit onboard the Midway in San Diego. Havent seen him in a long long time. And ofcourse it would be my pleasure to have brunch/lunch/beers with yourself and Rusty.

I never developed a taste for alcohol. I worked weekends and summers at the Consolidated Package Store on the base for 3 years and sampled just about everything. The best times were when the distilleries would show up with their free T shirts and make pitchers of new mixed drinks with their bourbons or vodkas. We'd take a pitcher in the back and return it when it was empty.

The Midway has 12 single boiler firerooms and 4 engine rooms. I doubt if the pubilc was allowed any where near the engineering spaces. A person could get off the 5 freeway down there at Front St with a long lens and get a lot of good pictures of the carriers on North Island

By the way if we need give 12" of clearance for Rusty when hes wielding a knife and a fork I wonder how much clearance he needs for a cutting torch or air arc.

That's kind of a scary thought considering cRusty transferred from "The Field" or "Production" to "Top Side" or "The Clown Locker" in 1964. I don't know how much "hands on" he's been since then.