Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To snitch or not to snitch

Japanese killer wrote of stabbing spree on Internet: police

TOKYO (AFP) — A disturbed young auto worker who killed seven people on a stabbing frenzy in downtown Tokyo had posted dozens of warnings of what he was going to do on Internet bulletin boards, police said Monday.

As stunned mourners placed flowers, sweets and comic-book images at a makeshift shrine, new details emerged of how he kept a detailed log of his plans to wreak havoc in Akihabara , the hub of Tokyo's comic-book subculture.

The assailant behind Japan's deadliest crime in seven years, 25-year-old Tomohiro Kato, is a graduate of a prestigious high school who went on to do manual work at an auto components factory, reports said.

On Sunday, he drove a rented two-tonne truck some 100 kilometres (60 miles) to Tokyo, swerving the vehicle into pedestrians before bursting out and stabbing at random with a survival knife.

He wounded 17 people, seven of whom died, before police forced him to drop his weapon at gunpoint and overpowered him.

Clad in a black T-shirt under his beige suit, he told police he was "tired of living" and simply wanted to kill.

The bespectacled Kato reportedly had an interest in comic-book and video-game subculture.

He admitted to police that he had documented his deadly journey on Internet bulletin boards, apparently typing messages on his mobile telephone from behind the wheel of the truck, a police spokesman said.

"I'll crash my vehicle into people and if the vehicle becomes useless, I'll get out a knife. Goodbye everyone!" said one posting hours before the crime, as quoted by Japanese media.

Reports said he made some 30 anonymous postings on various sites before the crime, including one on May 27 entitled "A disaster in Akihabara," warning that an incident would take place imminently.

Kato also reflected on his inability to make friends, noting wryly, "I'm still on an email mailing list. I'm a bit happy about that."

"Getting arrested in the middle of this would suck," he also wrote.

The son of a banker, Kato grew up in northern Aomori prefecture where he graduated from the top high school and played tennis, newspapers said.

But he failed university entrance examinations and eventually trained as an auto mechanic, newspapers said.

Police Monday raided his small apartment in Susano, a town in central Shizuoka prefecture near Mount Fuji where Kato had worked since November at the factory after being dispatched by a temping agency.

"We've been told that his attitude at work was very good and that he didn't stir any problems in the workplace," said Naoyuki Hashimoto, a spokesman for the company, Kanto Auto Works.

Japan prides itself on its public safety and has not seen such a deadly crime since a former mental patient stabbed to death eight children at an elementary school. That came seven years to the day before Sunday's horror.

Chief government spokesman Nobutaka Machimura said officials would study whether laws could be tightened on possession of knives. Japan strictly controls firearms.

"People say that public morality and relations between people are declining," Machmiura said. "But I don't think we can explain this case only by that."

Around the crime scene, rain had washed away the blood stains from the streets of the neon-lit electronics district, where residents placed flowers and pressed their hands together in prayer at a makeshift shrine.

In Japanese tradition, mourners left offerings including sweets, coffee, beer and -- in a twist befitting Akihabara -- comic-book images of action heroes.

"I left coffee because I think that some of the victims will need coffee in the morning," said Ukyo Murakami, a 14-year-old boy on his way to school.

"I'm afraid he did this because he played video games. But he should have known that in life, you can't hit the restart button."

Businesswoman Tomoko Iizuka, 58, sobbed as she paid her respects with a bouquet of flowers. "The victims included young people with a bright future. Why did he do such a crazy thing?" she said.

"It's all his fault. He deserves the death penalty."

Kazuki Homna, a university student, said he was a close friend of one of the victims, 21-year-old Mai Muto, with whom he spent time in San Francisco on a school exchange programme.

"She died not because of illness but because of a cruel tragedy," he said after placing flowers.

The US expressed sympathy Monday for those affected by the killings, with State Department spokesman Sean McCormack calling it "a personal tragedy for the friends and families of the victims involved as well as, I'm sure, for the family of this person who committed these acts."
    This is something that interests me. If, god forbid, one of our members announced on line they were going to go on a rampage in the manner this person did, should we inform the police?
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Millions and millions of people acces the internet daily, I'm sure a large percentage of them make threats and say they will do things that they have no intention of doing.

On this board I would be more willing to believe a member's pleas for attention/help than any other board because of the quality of the majority of their posts. Unlike most boards we are almost kidiot free (with the exception of me).

The only problem is that anyone could lie about their location, making it impossible for anyone to be sure where they intend to strike. As much as I would consider myself extremely conservative when it comes to law enforcment I would consider informing law enforcement about online threats somewhat rediculous.

Comment

What is also tragically ironic is that the Prime Minister of Japan now wants to outlaw all "large bladed" survival knives like the one the crazy kid used.

Maybe that won't work because most of the people he stabbed he had already run over with a rented truck.

Maybe I shouldn't be bringing up these kinds of observations so soon after such a horrible tragedy. But if someone is going to go bonkers, they will find some sort of a weapon (or weapons) somewhere.

Several years ago an "out of touch with reality" woman ran over a bunch of people with her car in Reno. She actually drove up on the sidewalk to chase them down.

A Marine with a similar mental problem stole an M-60 tank from Camp Pendleton and crunched a lot of vehicles with it, some with people in them that luckily escaped. He was a crappy tank driver anyway and tried to drive over the center concrete barrier on the I-5 Freeway losing a track while also straddling the barrier.

Then there was that guy in Chicago who killed a bunch of nurses with a knife and strangling them with their own stockings.

How can you stop anybody like that? Few send out warnings first, but there are so many dunderheads with nothing else better to do that also send out warnings just for the satisfaction of scaring people (same with those that create computer viruses). So, which one is real and the other ten or twenty just hoaxes from some nut with a sick sense of humor?

And if we report every one of them to the Police, just how many officers do they have to track down the authors or be at the right place at the right time to protect innocent people?

It's a vicious circle that continues to show there are vicious and derranged people out there who will carry out a disaster no matter how many laws you have against what.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

How about trying this on for size:

Imagine it's a June afternoon in 1876. You're in Dodge City, Kansas. You take your wagon down town and plow it up onto the sidewalk and pull out a legal weapon and start attacking bystanders.

How long would you have lived?

How many people would be injured before you were stopped?

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
          How about trying this on for size:

Imagine it's a June afternoon in 1876. You're in Dodge City, Kansas. You take your wagon down town and plow it up onto the sidewalk and pull out a legal weapon and start attacking bystanders.

How long would you have lived?

How many people would be injured before you were stopped?

-dale
          There actually is an historical incident that proves your point.

In Northfield, Minnesota (same year). There the town citizens broke up the gang of the James brothers, Cole brothers, Younger brothers and a couple of other hanger-ons with volumnous rifle and revolver fire.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
          X