What books should I get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books should I get

After a lot of arm twisting, threats of grievous bodily harm and flat out begging, one of my friends who's onsite in the US has agreed to get me not more than 3 books from Amazon.

So after scanning the book recommendation threads and not being able to make up my mind, could my fellow Wabbers tell me:

Which book to get on the Battle of the Atlantic

A good book on the Roman empire by a modern day author

Im already getting Halberstam's Coldest Winter as the third.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
    After a lot of arm twisting, threats of grievous bodily harm and flat out begging, one of my friends who's onsite in the US has agreed to get me not more than 3 books from Amazon.

So after scanning the book recommendation threads and not being able to make up my mind, could my fellow Wabbers tell me:

A good book on the Roman empire by a modern day author.

"The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians", by Peter Heather.

Comment

i agree with KB's suggestion, it is an excellent book and one which i've referenced before here at WAB

although KB, the more i think about it, the more questions his thesis raises in my mind. i think he makes a very coginant point about the vastly increased strength of the "barbarians" blowing down the roman empire, but it seems to me that (western, anyway) roman regenerative ability had gone down dramatically as well.

i believe this was a result of increased trade+wealth going to byzantium/constantinople; it was far better able to resist the invasions of the 400s than rome was. AND it was the part of the empire that had to deal with the persians, too...
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        i agree with KB's suggestion, it is an excellent book and one which i've referenced before here at WAB

although KB, the more i think about it, the more questions his thesis raises in my mind. i think he makes a very coginant point about the vastly increased strength of the "barbarians" blowing down the roman empire, but it seems to me that (western, anyway) roman regenerative ability had gone down dramatically as well.
        I agree. Which I believe is shown in the Battle of Chalons(451) where 2/3 of the "Roman" army facing Attila was barbarian tribes. The numerous civil wars had finally drained the WRE of it's ability to field quality trained armies of any size.

Comment

Working...
        X