World Population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Population

EDIT: Unfortunately I made it seem as though I was talking only about world population at the time, since that was what my min d was focused on, however, I mean mostly for the part of colonizing through space to be read, since that is what the part about world population leads up to, partyl. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm sure this comes up all the time, but here is something I've been thinking about lately, as strange as it may sound.

You cannot deny that our planet is overpopulated, or at least will become. Africa, China, and Japan are but a few examples. So many people wish to come to America that we can only legally let in a few at a time, while illegally immigrants are flowing into our country as if a dam had broken. Not to say that they shouldn't be here, immigrants are welcome. But if much more come, there will not be enough jobs, food, or room to accomodate even the immigrants, never mind the rate at which the world is reproducing.

The original point of reproduction was to continue the species, and it was done in large numbers because children had a low chance of survival. Now, there is no point in having so many children when we are already full of people.

Since I'm horrid with numbers, I won't attempt to make a mathematical estimation to prove my point. I'll just drive myself insane trying to work with large numbers.

Now, with all these extra people, we are certainly running out of space, as I have already stated, as well as jobs, room and resources.

We already know that there is a possibility for life on other planets, though that does not necessarily mean that there is anything living out there. If Mars or the moon was explored, perhaps there could be a chance for people to live out there, and as time goes on, humans could spread themselves farther and farther out. The fact is, if there were to be a huge natural disaster here on Earth, we would all die, and nothing would be left behind, no survivors, nothing. If, however, we spread ourselves out, hopefully beyond our galaxy, then a natural disaster would be very saddening, yes, but the human race would go on.

However, lately the government has done nothing at all to explore space. At least nothing serious. Pictures, that's all, I believe. We have done nothing to explore the possibilities of life on another planet, which we should if we are truly serious about survival.

Yes, I know this sounds serious, but isn't it about time that the government took it's attention off of politics and used its money for survival? Already now there have been two meteorites, comets, I forget which astral bodies it was, and the government took no notice, neither did the media, and yet we only missed by a mile I believe. A few miles. That's too close to say that we will never be hit by an astral body, and we have seen the tsunami--the Earth is certainly capable of wiping us all out, if it chooses. Is it really a risk worth taking to ignore the possibility that the Earth may not exist much longer, and that if we are not located in multiple areas, humanity will cease to exist.

Yes, I know that my little speech, essay, whatever you want to call it sounds silly, sounds ridiculous--but give it a chance, consider it even though it seems odd. The chances are too large for us to risk all of human life ending, and I rather like humans, personally.
    Last edited by Rinoa Locke; 29 Jan 05,, 09:28.
    Only one thing can save us now, and that's a voice of reason.

We're all gonna die.

Europe's population is declining or will be shortly. Japan's is going down. China's is stabilizing. Africa's main problem is kids being born with AIDS, not over population. So yes, I can deny that its overpopulated. In fact Europe and Japan are suffering economically from their declining populations. Its only in the Islamic world that population growth is truely too high, and according to statistics Ironduke throws around every once in a while, even their birthrates are declining.

Although I'm still all for space travel.

Comment

Yes, there are two points to that, and I suppose some could argue that our population is going down, although I believe it is the rate that is going down, not the number--but that does not change the fact that if something terrible happened on Earth, we would not survive as a race unless there were colonies on other planets.

We're all gonna die.

Comment

If the rate goes down how can the number fail to go down with it? The rate of replacement is 2.1. If it falls below that population will decline.

Comment

Technically, the rate could go down infinitally to the billions and billions place.

However, the rate of birth is in some countries 8, and I know many families that have 9 children, who grew up in familes of 9 children, and all of them will have 9 children and so will their children and so on.

So, if in some countries the rate of birth is 8, the population is increasing by alot there, or is and then the children die quickly, in which case makes you wonder why they would keep having children when they are all bound to die.

That's not the full point of what I am saying though. The government needs to spend as much money as it can on colonizing at least some people on other astral bodies so that we won't all die.

We're all gonna die.

Comment

yes, Japan and much of Europe is slowly losing their populations.

The Japan are just so advanced that they do not find time to raise children.

somewhat true for the Europeans as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rinoa Locke
              I'm sure this comes up all the time, but here is something I've been thinking about lately, as strange as it may sound.

You cannot deny that our planet is overpopulated, or at least will become.
              I can't?

Define "overpopulated". As compared to what?

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                I can't?

Define "overpopulated". As compared to what?

-dale
                Overpopulated probably means different things to different people. to me, it means when there are so many live beings in a single space and it gets to a point where they must fight over resources, or resources are scarce. Considering that at the least we have been fighting with animals and nature for resources for a while, I would say we are overpopulated, or at least nearing being overcrowded.

Compared to the animals, I guess you could say. Human beings are the only creatures that are able to usually keep all of their offspring alive, and yet still have large amounts of children.

We're all gonna die.

Comment

Overpopulated probably means different things to different people. to me, it means when there are so many live beings in a single space and it gets to a point where they must fight over resources, or resources are scarce. Considering that at the least we have been fighting with animals and nature for resources for a while, I would say we are overpopulated, or at least nearing being overcrowded.

Compared to the animals, I guess you could say. Human beings are the only creatures that are able to usually keep all of their offspring alive, and yet still have large amounts of children.
                  Hmm. Well, basic population dynamics and demographics ahow that industrialized societies tend to have lower growth rates for pretty much the reason you mention - fewer children are needed. Western Europe has a low rate, I believe below replacement rate. America is, I think just above replacement rate. Russia is below replacement rate. China is stabilizing. Africa is dying. As India becomes more industrialized the trends indicate that its rate should stabilize too. So essentially, as more of the planet modernizes, the population rate should stabilize or even, theoretically, decline.

-dale

Comment

I edited my original post, not the words but I bolded the part I was mainly talking about and changed the thread name because I had made a mistake in using world population to in part lead up to colonization, and so people probably did not read the important parts.

We're all gonna die.

Comment

I thought Africa was a continent,and not a country....
                      "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

I don't remember ever calling Africa a country, but if I did slip, forgive me. I find it offensive myself when people lump several countries together and call it one country, since they are too lazy or disrespectful.

We're all gonna die.

Comment

overpopulation? well, we have to still hold that thought for another 30 years or so to really see if it was true or not. china will reach 1.5 b to 2040s and highest at 1.6 b, india, if not trying to slow it now, would go much higher than that, compares with the populations's age. and, if the afrians living condition picked up in the next 20 years, which is really hard to say, but if any progerss on the living standred, their population would explode as well. don't think japan's and europen's decline would do anything to help a lot.

Comment

There's enough land in the State of Texas to give EVERY person on the Earth a 1-acre lot. Do the math.

Comment

EDIT: Unfortunately I made it seem as though I was talking only about world population at the time, since that was what my min d was focused on, however, I mean mostly for the part of colonizing through space to be read, since that is what the part about world population leads up to, partyl. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You cannot deny that our planet is overpopulated, or at least will become. Africa, China, and Japan are but a few examples. So many people wish to come to America that we can only legally let in a few at a time, while illegally immigrants are flowing into our country as if a dam had broken. Not to say that they shouldn't be here, immigrants are welcome. But if much more come, there will not be enough jobs, food, or room to accomodate even the immigrants, never mind the rate at which the world is reproducing.

The original point of reproduction was to continue the species, and it was done in large numbers because children had a low chance of survival. Now, there is no point in having so many children when we are already full of people.

Since I'm horrid with numbers, I won't attempt to make a mathematical estimation to prove my point. I'll just drive myself insane trying to work with large numbers.

Now, with all these extra people, we are certainly running out of space, as I have already stated, as well as jobs, room and resources.

We already know that there is a possibility for life on other planets, though that does not necessarily mean that there is anything living out there. If Mars or the moon was explored, perhaps there could be a chance for people to live out there, and as time goes on, humans could spread themselves farther and farther out. The fact is, if there were to be a huge natural disaster here on Earth, we would all die, and nothing would be left behind, no survivors, nothing. If, however, we spread ourselves out, hopefully beyond our galaxy, then a natural disaster would be very saddening, yes, but the human race would go on.

However, lately the government has done nothing at all to explore space. At least nothing serious. Pictures, that's all, I believe. We have done nothing to explore the possibilities of life on another planet, which we should if we are truly serious about survival.

Yes, I know this sounds serious, but isn't it about time that the government took it's attention off of politics and used its money for survival? Already now there have been two meteorites, comets, I forget which astral bodies it was, and the government took no notice, neither did the media, and yet we only missed by a mile I believe. A few miles. That's too close to say that we will never be hit by an astral body, and we have seen the tsunami--the Earth is certainly capable of wiping us all out, if it chooses. Is it really a risk worth taking to ignore the possibility that the Earth may not exist much longer, and that if we are not located in multiple areas, humanity will cease to exist.

Yes, I know that my little speech, essay, whatever you want to call it sounds silly, sounds ridiculous--but give it a chance, consider it even though it seems odd. The chances are too large for us to risk all of human life ending, and I rather like humans, personally.
                              I totally agree with your comments. I belive America amd Europe have reached that point with immigrants. Also, most immigrants are from 3rd world countries where people have a higher rate of reproduction as compared to like in Europe, which has a low rate of reproduction among the native population.

Comment

Working...
                              X