Roman Power Projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Power Projection

I'm sure we're all familiar with the map of the Roman Empire, to its furthest extent.

Does anybody know anywhere the Romans campaigned well outside the extent of the Empire? Client kingdoms other than the obvious?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Germanicus went as far as the Elbe River in Germany and Trajan to the Persian Gulf and Dacia. I think these were the furthest extent, They may be outpost in the Crimean Peninsula.

Comment

Originally posted by IDonT View Post
      Germanicus went as far as the Elbe River in Germany and Trajan to the Persian Gulf and Dacia. I think these were the furthest extent, They may be outpost in the Crimean Peninsula.
      I'm aware of the maximum extent of Roman territorial control, that's not the question I'm asking.

I've read that the Romans often would intervene militarily in nearby states, such as overthrowing unfriendly rulers and installing new ones, aiding one state against another, etc.

In two words, power projection.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Dacia, in present day Romania. They couldn't hold it indefinately, but one of the last true conquests.

Comment

Maybe in some places, but even the Romans decided to call it a day and build a wall (two, infact) when they met the Scottish :P

"Don't go on the other side, er....here be dragons!"
          Last edited by King Six; 30 May 08,, 12:33. Reason: dragons

Comment

They went into the Sudan. And there was an expedition to Arabia Felix, meaning Yemen in Augustus time, which claimed more lives (in the Roman Army) then Tutonberg Forest. On multiple occassions they did venture beyond the Zagros mountains, Trajen for one and so did Septimus Severus if I am not mistaken.
            "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by King Six View Post
              Maybe in some places, but even the Romans decided to call it a day and build a wall (two, infact) when they met the Scottish :P

"Don't go on the other side, er....here be dragons!"

From my understanding when the Romans campaigned in Scotland they met no major resistance, but on seeing the place decided there was no point in staying there. ;)

Comment

Who can blame them?

The life expectancy of males in Glasgow, Scotland's largest city, is just 68 years.

Comment

Originally posted by sparten View Post
                  They went into the Sudan. And there was an expedition to Arabia Felix, meaning Yemen in Augustus time, which claimed more lives (in the Roman Army) then Tutonberg Forest. On multiple occassions they did venture beyond the Zagros mountains, Trajen for one and so did Septimus Severus if I am not mistaken.
                  That's interesting, do you have a citation for that expedition I would like to read up on it.

Comment

Certainly the Romans used what IronDuke defines as 'power projection' in almost all 'client kingdoms'; Armenia etc. By your definition Cleopatras pre-eminance over her brother/husband manufacred by Caesar was was essentialy power projection - she remained Queen simply on the whim of Caeser.

Comment

Working...
                    X