Gmail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gmail

This is about the E-mail service Google started last year. I signed up about 2 weeks back through an invitation I received through my friend. I find the service innovative, in certain ways.
    The email service currently offers 1GB of webspace. More than any email service provider in the history of the web.
    What are your points of view regarding this service. Would you like to become a member, if given a chance??
    Yes
    87.50%
    No
    0.00%
    Can't say
    12.50%
    Others(Mention Below)
    0.00%
    Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

I have g-mail and its pretty good. Never had a problem with my old service though.. G-mail is just an experiment for me.
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

I have Gmail and am trying to use it primarily for personal correspondence while using my old email for other contacts. I like it but don't feel it will be any better once hte competition catches up. Rediff already has.
      Am out of town for a while and then have tons of work coming up at school. Will be back once that's all done.

Comment

I've had it for a few months now, I like the search capability the best.

Comment

GMail is definitely better than other we based email services.

After Using GMail for almost a month now, I found out the following points for/against the GMail service.

Points for GMail:
          1. Storage capacity 1 GB.
          2. Search capability is the best(its Google for heaven's sake, tried and tested.)
          3. Innovative label system instead of folders.
          4. No huge graphical advertisements(which means the pages load faster). The only ads that are there are small and dont eat up a lot of space, and are text only.
          5. GMail notifier, notifies about the new mail without having to open up the browser(just like Yahoo messenger, but GMail notifier is about the mail only)
          and last but not the least,
          6. POP download. Means mail can be downloaded to the computer based email client like Outlook or Eudora or Opera M2 which I use. Currently no other major web based email service offers POP download for free. On Yahoo u get this service if you are a paid member. Hotmail used to offer this feature earlier, but currently it is not being offered.

Points Against GMail:
          1. Text formatting not supported while composing email. So you cannot inset smileys, you cannot color your text, no bolds. italics, no embeds etc. No alignments. Nothing. Send mail as simple text only. Notepad is much better. At least we can change font in notepad.
          2. As I am finding out now, the label system is not as much as much privacy friendly. In other mail services if you move a mail to a folder it disappears from your inbox, and goes into that folder. But in Gmail, there are no folders, there are labels. So if I label a mail as XXX, then it would stay in the inbox but there will be a XXX sign in front of it. You can also view only label specific mail though. But I dont like my personal mail to pop up in front of my co-worker, when I open the Inbox to check some other mail.
          Last edited by ASG; 03 Feb 05,, 14:33.
          Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

I use gmail as my primary email.....

Very fast, thats what I like about it. Hotmail's died up.

Comment

I use gmail as my primary email. Its very very good.
              Brahma Sarvam Jagan Mithya
              Jivo Brahmaiva Na Aparah

Comment

anyone looking for invites? Got tons!

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus
                  So if I label a mail as XXX, then it would stay in the inbox but there will be a XXX sign in front of it. You can also view only label specific mail though. But I dont like my personal mail to pop up in front of my co-worker, when I open the Inbox to check some other mail.
                  Stop subscribing XXX mails, you'll be fine....hehe...just kidding!
                  A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

yes I think Gmail is going to take over. Their invite only plan was pure genius.

Comment

gmail is a tad bit to insecure for me, i like to keep a bit of control and for personal mails i stick to Hotmail, had the account since 1997.

Comment

Working...
                      X