PDA

View Full Version : 19-year-old elected mayor of US city

Ray
16 May 08,, 13:48
19-year-old elected mayor of US city

WASHINGTON: Its certainly a good start: a 19-year-old political science student who dreams of becoming US president was elected mayor of Muskogee, Oklahoma, beating a 70-year-old for the job, the city hall announced Thursday. John Tyler Hammons, a first-year student at the University of Oklahoma, won the job to lead the city of 40,000 with 70 percent of the vote over a former mayor. The incumbent did not take part in the race. The campaign was great, it was fun and we won the trust of the people, Hammons told AFP. I want an open government. I dont have the monopoly on good ideas, he said. For Hammons, who will take office Monday for a two-year term, it is only the beginning of a political career. I would like to be governor of Oklahoma and president of the United States, he said. afp

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan (http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2008\05\16\story_16-5-2008_pg7_67)

Unbelievable!!

Three cheers to the chap!

snc128
16 May 08,, 15:01
Well done. :))
University youth is far better than dinosaurs.
I hope, he can make his authority and do not act emotionally.

Army5339
16 May 08,, 15:21
I still prefer wisdom.

snc128
16 May 08,, 17:31
generally, the more a manager gets older and learn the system the more s/he becomes more self-seeker. Teenagers are usually more active and patriot and in endeavour of self-realization.

if I were an employer I would mostly employ younger ones than old ones.

ChrisF202
17 May 08,, 21:50
generally, the more a manager gets older and learn the system the more s/he becomes more self-seeker. Teenagers are usually more active and patriot and in endeavour of self-realization.

if I were an employer I would mostly employ younger ones than old ones.
Lets not forget also that he is a newcomer, hes clean and not a member of the "Old Guard" and the "good ol boy" crony system that exists in many American county/city/town/village politics.

I wish him the best of luck, I myself would like to run for local office of some sort but the "good ol boy" system typical of Long Island/Suffolk County/Town of Islip politics leaves me with no chance.

BenRoethig
18 May 08,, 01:14
Its a council-manager system so he doesn't have much power beyond presiding over the council and acting as a figure head.

Bigfella
18 May 08,, 10:51
A proud Okie from Muskogee? I imagine so. Lets just hope he didn't celebrate his win with any 'white lightning'.:)

Johnny W
19 May 08,, 17:32
A proud Okie from Muskogee? I imagine so. Lets just hope he didn't celebrate his win with any 'white lightning'.:)

He is not old enough to drink legally, so it would have to be white lightning. :))