Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwards endorses Obama

Edwards endorses Obama, praises Clinton

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards endorsed Sen. Barack Obama on Wednesday at a campaign event in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

"The reason I'm here tonight is because the Democratic voters have made their choice, and so have I," he told the boisterous crowd.

"There is one man who knows and understands that this is a time for bold leadership. There is one man that knows how to create the change, the lasting change, that you have to build from the ground up," Edwards said. "There is one man who knows in his heart there is time to create one America, not two ... and that man is Barack Obama."

Edwards also praised Sen. Hillary Clinton's candidacy.

"What she has shown ... is strength and character, and what drives her is something that every single one of us can and should appreciate," Edwards said. "She is a woman who, in my judgment, is made of steel, and she's a leader in this country not because of her husband but because of what she has done."

He said that when the nomination battle is over, "and it will be over soon, brothers and sisters ... we must come together as Democrats."

Obama later praised Edwards and his wife, Elizabeth, during the rally.

"I am so grateful ... for John Edwards to come to Michigan tonight. ... I'm grateful for his support ... but more importantly, I want to thank John for everything that he has already done to make us one America," Obama said.

After the announcement, Republican National Committee Chairman Robert Duncan released a statement asking, "Why didn't Edwards endorse sooner?"

"Edwards' endorsement of a candidate he previously blasted as inexperienced, hypocritical and lacking substance will not help Obama with voters looking for real change," he said.

Edwards dropped out of the Democratic race on January 30 after poor showings in the early contests.

He told NBC last week that Obama, the Democratic front-runner, is the party's likely nominee. Both Obama and Clinton had sought Edwards' blessing.

Clinton campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe said Wednesday that "We respect John Edwards, but as the voters of West Virginia showed last night, this thing is far from over."

According to CNN's latest estimates, Obama has 1,884 total delegates (pledged: 1,600, superdelegates: 284). Clinton has 1,718 total delegates (pledged: 1,445, superdelegates: 273).

Edwards, meanwhile, has 19 total pledged delegates who may or may not pledge their support for Obama at the Democratic National Committee's August convention in Denver, Colorado.

Edwards, who is not a superdelegate, said last week that it was fine for Clinton to continue making her case but expressed concern that a continued campaign could damage the party's prospects in November.
    Source: Edwards endorses Obama, praises Clinton - CNN.com
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

John Edwards?

Comment

Really. John who?

-dale

Comment

Now, the only real question is what position he'll get in the new administration. Attorney General or VP? Both Edwards and Clinton could (conceivably) land either spot...

AG Edwards? | The Trail | washingtonpost.com
        MotherJones Blog: Attorney General John Edwards?

Originally posted by Robert Novak
        ...Illinois Democrats close to Sen. Barack Obama are quietly passing the word that John Edwards will be named attorney general in an Obama administration...
        Last edited by Masada; 15 May 08,, 04:28.
        USS Toledo, SSN 769

Comment

Hillary is refusing to quit while others are telling her to see the writing on the wall.

I believe she is in huge debt.

Wonder how she shall be able to clear them!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
            Hillary is refusing to quit while others are telling her to see the writing on the wall.

The Clinton's have earned something like $108 million since 2001... I'm sure Bill could give a couple paid speeches and he'd have enough to pay off her campaign debt.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post

Yes, it looks like the Klinton campaign is on its last legs; Obama has like 200 more delegates and there is really no way she can catch up.

It will be a great day when she drops out of the race :)

Comment

Working...
              X