Change of Tack - World Affairs Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Tack - World Affairs Board

I've been drifting in and out over the past months, and am, I believe, detecting a trend.

1. Where is bluesman, Shamus and an old comrade of mine, Glyn? Ever presents until a while back now, hardly seem to be around, if at all.

Have these people been banned or removed in some way from the Board, they were always in here, promoting worthwhile opinions on everything mentionable?

2. There is a marked change of emphasis from worldly members to the sub continent of India submitting a greater proportion of members. Some of these have a lack of respect for others opinions.

3. I think I am detecting an increase in lack more arguementative posts. I have seem many forums go to hell in similar fashion, I do hope this is not going to be one of them. I may not post much but I can read.

The same question was asked of Bluesman earlier - there is a thread out there, but he is fine and dandy according to what was written. Far as the other two, would suspect it's the same thing. Other evolving interests.
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Well, at least you didn't shout at me ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
        I've been drifting in and out over the past months, and am, I believe, detecting a trend.

1. Where is bluesman, Shamus and an old comrade of mine, Glyn? Ever presents until a while back now, hardly seem to be around, if at all.

Have these people been banned or removed in some way from the Board, they were always in here, promoting worthwhile opinions on everything mentionable?

2. There is a marked change of emphasis from worldly members to the sub continent of India submitting a greater proportion of members. Some of these have a lack of respect for others opinions.

3. I think I am detecting an increase in lack more arguementative posts. I have seem many forums go to hell in similar fashion, I do hope this is not going to be one of them. I may not post much but I can read.
        1. None of these members have been banned Life has gotten in the way.

2. There is no change in emphasis. We value members who wish to contribute to the conversation and abide by the forum rules. We appreciate a diversity of members, even if there is disagreement. Those members who don't follow the forum rules or aren't here to contribute are shown the door

3. As with the above, those members who aren't here to contribute are shown the door. If you have specific posts in mind, please report them so that we can moderate them as necessary and stay on top of things :)
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Hi Shek, it is more of a general observation. It just seems to me more arguementative.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
            Hi Shek, it is more of a general observation. It just seems to me more arguementative.
            We're going through growing pains, which is not an uncommon thing. The issue of Tibet and the Summer Olympics has brought in a lot of new members, some of which contribute a lot and some of which detract from the level of conversation.
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Hell hath no fury than a human rights activist scorned!!

Comment

Elbmek, yes we have lost alot of the oldtimers like Snipe/M21, Lunatock, Glyn, etc but im sure they will pop in from time to time.

Heck, I was practically inactive for whole years at a time and now im back again.

Comment

Bluesman is taking a break but will be back. Not sure about Shamus.

Glyn took issue with the South Asian component of our community, and decided to leave. I don't quite understand his reasoning, as it was Brigadier Ray, one of our first members and valued contributor for whom I have the highest regard, who introduced him to the forum some 20 months ago. Also, at the time he signed up, forum activity represented by South Asian members was double or triple what it is now. As far as I know, he private messaged nearly every senior member on the forum about his leaving, along with his complaint. I'm surprised you didn't receive the same PM that so many others did given the fact you know each other personally.

As for breaks, Julie, for example, just got back from a break of 3 months, 2 days. Shek will be taking a break this summer. I took a break two summers for nearly the entire summer. Not exactly unheard of.

I fail to see your argument with regards to an emphasis on South Asia. The last time there was a real problem with conflict between Indian and Pakistani members was in spring/summer 2006, several months before you registered.

Out of 120,312 unique visitors in the past 30 days, 9847 were from India or Pakistan, representing 8.2% of all unique visitors to the forum. By comparison, 9.7% in December 2007 were from those two countries. We receive more traffic from California than India.

There was a recent 400% in Chinese activity on the site recently, but of course China isn't in South Asia.

And let's not forget that this is a world affairs board.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                    Elbmek, yes we have lost alot of the oldtimers like Snipe/M21, Lunatock, Glyn, etc but im sure they will pop in from time to time.

Heck, I was practically inactive for whole years at a time and now im back again.
                    I'm not sure quite how to put it, but M21 could be described by the maxim, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead."

As for Lunatock:

4/30/08
                    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wor...-manattan.html

I'm not sure how you're defining "old-timer", but the forum in its current form was founded in August 2003. The core of members upon which the community was built formed a loose-knit community dating back to 2001 and 2002. I've had an association with the Colonel, for example, stretching back over half a decade. Of course, you're well aware of that.
                    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I followed Glyn over to the Air Warfare Forum.
                      More information, less emotion/opinion over there.
                      I will continue to read and contribute here although the threads are definitely trending away from Westerners IMHO.
                      And that's not all bad.
                      I'm learning a lot.
                      Last edited by GAU-8; 07 May 08,, 23:55.

Comment

On The Trending Away From Westerners

Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
                        I will continue to read and contribute here although the threads are definitely trending away from Westerners ...
                        Friends you are correct.

And I encourage you to expand your perception.....

Global Scolarship & Commerce in whole are "trending away from Westerners" in the astute phraseology of our friend above. I am informed by several independent sources that the nation graduating the most English speaking collegians is India. Is this true ?

If so how might the ramifications of such a shift in educational affairs be related to the subject matter of this discussion ?
                        "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                          I'm not sure quite how to put it, but M21 could be described by the maxim, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead."

As for Lunatock:

4/30/08
                          http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wor...-manattan.html

I'm not sure how you're defining "old-timer", but the forum in its current form was founded in August 2003. The core of members upon which the community was built formed a loose-knit community dating back to 2001 and 2002. I've had an association with the Colonel, for example, stretching back over half a decade. Of course, you're well aware of that.
                          You are correct about Snipe lol.

Im glad to see Lunatock posted again, I hadent seen the username below the title

PS: by old timer I ment those that were here when I joined in August 2003. But I recall meeting alot of the members here on some other forum.

Comment

I'm tickled by the very idea of the WAB sinking into dark waters of scripted conflict!

Compared to '04 when I signed up WAB is a PC poster boy (or girl - 'wouldn't wish to offend:)):))) I truly can't use as many of those little faces as I wish! I remember when I could swear like a trooper! Nowadays I've been censored for "b o o b s".:))
                            Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

hmmm, murky waters. It seems pretty clear here to me, maybe I missed something?

Comment

Working...
                              X