Greatest Seige/Last Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Seige/Last Stand

After looking at the 300 thread I decided to put to you guys a question. I am not going to do do this in poll form since there could be sooo many answers and opinions. The question is this; What, in your opinion, is the greatest seige or last battle in history? As for me I don't think I could pick just one, but great ones that immediatly come to mind are; Thermopalyae, The Fall of Constantinople, the Pusan Perimiter, Chosin Resevoir, Ke Sahn, and Rourk's Drift. I want to hear your all's thoughts.
    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

when my sig other wanted to watch brokeback mountain, and i didn't. :)
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

A valiant stand indeed!!
      Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Yes I watched the HC documentary on the last stand and it was actually quite amazing, but I always wondered what would have happened if they had 1,000 Spartans there 500 at the pass and 500 gaurding the secret route that was abadoned by those cowards <_<....

Comment

Leningrad, Vicksburg, Masada, and Alexander's siege of Tyre are four that popped up in my mind.

Comment

read "1453"- constantinople went down hard.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

The siege of Kruja, depicted in Ismail Kadare's novel "The rain drums".

Comment

The Alamo and Camerone.

Wake Island.

Comment

Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge), Saipan, Iwo Jima, Corrigador, Belleau Wood (WW I), 55 days at Peking in the Boxer Rebellion.

They all have their merits (Aggressors or Defenders) in endurance, bravery, tactics, strategy, equipment (or lack of).

Lack of equipment for example; at the Alamo (mentioned previously) if the defenders had a wagonload of the new 1836 Colt revolvers it would have been like the Mexican army facing close-in machinegun fire.

By the way, has anybody thought of the Normandy invasion on D-Day? The largest armada of ships in the entire history of mankind, the almost suicidal resistance of the German defenders, the suicidal determination of the Americans, British and Canadians to take that beach head.

Nothing in the past could ever compare to that (though close in smaller numbers perhaps) and I seriously doubt any assault like that will ever happen again. Though the landings on Iwo Jima, Tarawa, Saipan can all tie for a good second place.
                  Last edited by RustyBattleship; 10 Jul 08,, 04:52.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

110th Infantry Regiment

110TH INFANTRY REGIMENT

Read the story of the 110th Infatry Regiment and its epic fight along the Our River for the 1st 3 days of the Bulge. If not for them there never would have been the 101st ABN at Bastogne. A great last stand.
                    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 17 Jul 08,, 18:55.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Bang Rachan
                      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Troung ... and his wedding date.

Comment

Troung ... and his wedding date.
                          Any man gives up the ghost quickly when faced by a woman. Like feudal sieges, do just enough to salvage ones honor and then give in, basically holding out for the best possible terms of surrender.

Last stands involving a woman are for people who sleep on couches or find their crap outside in the street.
                          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

You're married?

Comment

Not for a few more years, pushed any talk of it back because I am going for an additional degree. It's not a last stand really, guerrilla warfare, small victories add up.

Better then like five years ago when "reversion" to Islam came up.

Comment

Working...
                              X