Alcohol on naval vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol on naval vessels

Just wondering what the different countries are like.

The Royal Navy have alot of alcohol on board there ships what about the rest of you?
    Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

US is dry as a bone.

A no no that will get you Captains Mast.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      US is dry as a bone.

A no no that will get you Captains Mast.
      Generally speaking, that is true. The only alcohol allowed (for drinking) is sacramental wine and perhaps some medicinal brandy in sick bay for a person just pulled out of freezing water.

That's if you go by the rule book. There is a story of Admiral Halsey that ordered a Destroyer to remain with its squadron though it was in dire need of repairs. The C.O. of the ship took a chance of not getting any more promotions by taking his ship into a repair facility and got her back into fighting shape.

They also found a large supply of whiskey and beer on that island and stocked up on a couple of cases.

When returning to the squadron, Halsey ordered the C.O. and X.O. of the ship to report to him. He confronted them and asked why they disobeyed his orders and left the squadron. As they were trying to come up with an answer, one of the hapless officers said they heard that port had a large supply of whiskey and ----.

Halsey interrupted, "Whiskey. That's different. If you had gone in for repairs against my orders I would have to take disciplinary action.

Dismissed."
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

In Australia the crew is allowed to have 2 beers a day. Which doesnt seem like a bad idea.

Comment

I know, that in Russian submarines give red wine for a supper, in my opinion 200 gram in day. It is considered useful, for a life in the closed space.

Comment

I have heard of USN ships having steel beach parties where everyone could have 1 can of Naddy Lite (so long as they were over 21). I have also heard stories from the boat I was on that they had peirside parties (while on deployment) with beer that was also rationed. But I have never personally been party to one. Perhaps an old salt out there has seen one.
            Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
              I have heard of USN ships having steel beach parties where everyone could have 1 can of Naddy Lite (so long as they were over 21). I have also heard stories from the boat I was on that they had peirside parties (while on deployment) with beer that was also rationed. But I have never personally been party to one. Perhaps an old salt out there has seen one.

Alcohol is authorized at the 60 days of constant steaming. No port visit. Have had the distinct displeasure of attending 2 steel beach parties that served beer.

Only 1 peirside party. In Haifa when PM Rabin was assassinated. The First class mess bought all the beer at the pier we could get. Then sold them pierside for a buck each. It was the ship COs idea and the Chief of the boat assigned the "Task" to our mess. No 2 beer limit that night

And it was some local beer with what looked like a wreath of wheat on the can. Tasted like soggy cheerios. But they were cold.

Steel beach with beer. ModLoc during Op Deny Flight. We were providing Harriers and TRAP force rotations.
              POD
              All hands will muster on the flight deck at 1000. The Chiefs, or if you have a strong Goatlocker, the JOs will be cooking burgers/steaks. The serving line will form at 1200. Each sailor/marine who wishes to have a warm beer will show ID card to the MAA at the hanger bay. They will issue 1 beer at a time and mark your hand with a permanent marker.

Some Sailor that thinks he can play guitar or a "Band" of them will butcher songs throughout the day. A volleyball net (or 2) will be set up. Teams assigned and a tournament started. Within 1/2 hour of start of tournament all vollyballs will be have been lost overboard. No matter how hot, or cold it may get you are not allowed to go below deck to berthing spaces until the party is secured. You will have fun. AND THATS AN ORDER!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                Generally speaking, that is true. The only alcohol allowed (for drinking) is sacramental wine and perhaps some medicinal brandy in sick bay for a person just pulled out of freezing water.

That's if you go by the rule book. There is a story of Admiral Halsey that ordered a Destroyer to remain with its squadron though it was in dire need of repairs. The C.O. of the ship took a chance of not getting any more promotions by taking his ship into a repair facility and got her back into fighting shape.

They also found a large supply of whiskey and beer on that island and stocked up on a couple of cases.

When returning to the squadron, Halsey ordered the C.O. and X.O. of the ship to report to him. He confronted them and asked why they disobeyed his orders and left the squadron. As they were trying to come up with an answer, one of the hapless officers said they heard that port had a large supply of whiskey and ----.

Halsey interrupted, "Whiskey. That's different. If you had gone in for repairs against my orders I would have to take disciplinary action.

Dismissed."
                I read the very same incident in "Sea of Thunder" found it rather humorous.:)
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  Alcohol is authorized at the 60 days of constant steaming. No port visit. Have had the distinct displeasure of attending 2 steel beach parties that served beer.

Only 1 peirside party. In Haifa when PM Rabin was assassinated. The First class mess bought all the beer at the pier we could get. Then sold them pierside for a buck each. It was the ship COs idea and the Chief of the boat assigned the "Task" to our mess. No 2 beer limit that night

And it was some local beer with what looked like a wreath of wheat on the can. Tasted like soggy cheerios. But they were cold.

Steel beach with beer. ModLoc during Op Deny Flight. We were providing Harriers and TRAP force rotations.
                  POD
                  All hands will muster on the flight deck at 1000. The Chiefs, or if you have a strong Goatlocker, the JOs will be cooking burgers/steaks. The serving line will form at 1200. Each sailor/marine who wishes to have a warm beer will show ID card to the MAA at the hanger bay. They will issue 1 beer at a time and mark your hand with a permanent marker.

Some Sailor that thinks he can play guitar or a "Band" of them will butcher songs throughout the day. A volleyball net (or 2) will be set up. Teams assigned and a tournament started. Within 1/2 hour of start of tournament all vollyballs will be have been lost overboard. No matter how hot, or cold it may get you are not allowed to go below deck to berthing spaces until the party is secured. You will have fun. AND THATS AN ORDER!!!!!!
                  I went to one of those, although for some reason I was thinking it was 45 days instead of 60. Beer wasn't bad but the lines for food took far longer than the normal chow lines. They seem more fun now than they did when I actually attended them. :)

Comment

HEHE booze, yet another reason the US Marine pilots likes running off our baby carriers. One thing we Brits know how to do is run a bar!

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
                      HEHE booze, yet another reason the US Marine pilots likes running off our baby carriers. One thing we Brits know how to do is run a bar!

True enough. My ship stopped in Gibraltar back in 1989, and I met some British sailors, including the guy who was in charge of the beer on his ship. One of the best port visits I ever had, although my boss was not happy with me. :))

Comment

I know the Italian navy has wine on board. Doing training operations with them, and I was a liaison between my unit and them, apparently because I had taken French in high school (Yes I know). I was on board, and they asked if I was thirsty. It was quite hot out that night, so I told them I would appreciate a drink. Since the USN is dry, I assumed it would be water. Didn't realize the glass was full of red wine until it had hit the back of my throat. To be polite, I finished the glass. ;)
                        http://groundpoundingtruth.com/

Comment

Indian Navy Ships are stocked up on plenty of alcohol.
                          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

we have Rum Parade in the Army and the Navy.

I am not aware of the AF.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I could be wrong but I think the RN has stopped the daily Rum Ration tradition? Although u can still get a drink on board in the mess.
                              "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

Working...
                              X