AEGIS RADAR vs. SAMPSON RADAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEGIS RADAR vs. SAMPSON RADAR

AEGIS ADVANTAGES(according to my dad who works for LM and worked on the the sale of the F100 to Spain):
    1.)More Power and Bigger Array meaning Greater Accuracy(it is not inherantly more accurate).
    2.) Does not require water cooling.

SAMPSON ADVANTAGES:
    1.) Farther electronic horizon.

Does anyone have anymore to add to this?

The Electronic horizon is negated by AWACS, data-link, and AEGIS' six million watts of energy which can be steered down a single bearing. Too much of that and you'll be hacing two headed kids
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

FACTOID:-D

The CEC datalink that the Government was designing is going down the tubes. This is because it transfers ALL the information from one ship to another even if the other ship already has that information. It would require more bandwith then ALL the bandwith on the planet.

There is another one that industry is making that will only transfer the relivent information. Say one ship has information about an incoming aircraft. It will communicate with the other ships and if other ships have more acurate information it will then send that information to the ship. This requires far less bandwith then CEC. This is the one they are gonna end up using.

This link will also work with Sonar and IR. So if you linked it all, you could see the entire "battle space".
      Last edited by Praxus; 15 Sep 03,, 00:46.

Comment

That's the problem with all the JTIDS/FDL/TACFIRE/FCEC systems.

Last i heard, the military was going to launch a constellation of dedicated commsats for this, but apparently, that is no longer the case, as you state.

SAMPSON is also supposedly LPI- BIG advantadge, if true.

And of course, SAMPSON's biggest advantadge is it's 'teeth'- the fire and forget ASTER.

Comment

I thought the FCEC was still on but yesterday my dad told me that they were gonna use something else. He told me what it is but I forget the name.

Comment

It's no surprise. The military(ESPECIALLY THE NAVY!) loves to change acronyms in midstream, lol.

Please find out, and post it here. ;)

Comment

I'll ask my dad when he gets back.:D

Comment

What's the difference between Phased Array Radars and Active Array Radars?

Or are they the same thing?

Comment

Same thing.

LPI is different though, that uses individual 'finger' emmiters, each on a slightly different frequency, and each of miniscule power. The return feed is processed through a computer to reassemble a coherent radar picture.

Aegis is a phased planar array, meaning it has four individual planar emmiters(best as i know).

Comment

So is the SPY 2 gonna have LPI and have the four flat pannels or will it have rotating radar like the SAMPSON?

Also can't the pannels look in a greater area quick then a rotating radar?

One more thing, doesn't the SAMPSON radar have to have water pumped up to it?

Comment

I was a grunt, not a radar technician...

But so far as i know, SPY-2 will incorporate LPI.

For the rest of your questions, i would just be guessing.

Comment

Actually, i can answer the one....four panels provide continuous 360 degree coverage, rotating phased arrays do not.

Comment

Working...
                        X