Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

volunteers look forward to Beijing Olympics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volunteers look forward to Beijing Olympics!

By Sportswriter Li Jia

BEIJING, April 29 (Xinhua) -- A handsome young man with the shock of blond hair, who wears the Beijing Olympic volunteer uniform and speaks Chinese and English, is an eye-catcher in the National Stadium.

Philipp Demgenski, a German volunteer who works in the Olympics' language service, said, "I am looking forward to the Beijing Olympics, as it will be my first volunteer experience in the Olympics."

Philipp toured the National Stadium, or "Bird Nest", for the first time early this month. It took him quite a little time to get familiar with the routes leading to the nest-shaped stadium hailed as "an icon of the Beijing Olympics."

"I come here at 6:00 every morning to provide service and learn from other volunteers," said Philipp, "I feel a little bit tired now, but I think it's worth it."

"Every time when I think I will work in the great 'Bird Nest' as a volunteer, I feel very, very proud," Philipp said.

Philipp has learned Chinese for only one year, but now he can send SMS test messages in Chinese.

The 26-year-old, who had kept himself fully occupied with volunteer activities in college, cherishes the opportunity to witness the Olympics so closely. "It is different from the volunteer activities I had done before, and it will be one of my most precious experiences."

"I had worked in Africa as a volunteer for four months, and I taught computer and English to teachers and students there," said Philipp, who came to China in 2006. "I came to China because I am a big fan of Chinese culture."

With the Olympics 100 days out, volunteers like Philipp are doing their best to get prepared.

Up to March 31, 22,000 foreigners had applied to be Olympic volunteers.

Ndioro Diop is a girl from Senegal. Besides her mother tongue, she speaks French, English and Chinese.

The language talent applied for a volunteer slot as early as in2006. "The first several months when I came to Beijing, I was always lost," said Diop. "But every time I got help from Beijing people. Some even sent me to my destination."

"I learned a lot in China, and now it is the time for me to do something to return," Diop said. "My family all love China very much, and my brother also applied to be a volunteer."

Two weeks ago, Diop took a volunteer training course.

"I was busy but happy," said Diop. "It is the first for me to train with so many Chinese and foreign volunteers. I am confident that I can be a good volunteer at Olympics."

As for American girl Amari Montin, to apply for a volunteer slot was quite natural.

"It's awesome to be part of the Olympics," she said. "I will meet lots of Chinese friends through volunteering, and communicating with them helps me improve my Chinese."

Montin said she had fallen in love with Beijing. "I love Beijing. I can feel the changes brought by the Olympics."
    One world ,One dream!:)

PRC's PR : so subtle.....

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
      PRC's PR : so subtle.....
      This is Sports,not Politics!;)

Comment

Originally posted by FOE View Post
        This is Sports,not Politics!;)
        So much that you keep making posts chanting the Glory of the PRC...

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
          So much that you keep making posts chanting the Glory of the PRC...

PRC is my country!!Should I?

Comment

PRC is my country!!Should I?
            Jingoism is not the best way to promote one's country.

Comment

Jingoism?
              sorry,forgive my poor english!I do not understand the word!

Comment

Jingoism?
                sorry,forgive my poor english!I do not understand the word!
                It means chauvinistic

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
                  It means chauvinistic

Comment

There's nothing to be proud of...

Comment

I agree
                      I'm smiling!

Comment

Working...