What language do you count in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What language do you count in?

I once read a study that says we always count in our native language, doesn't matter how fluent we are with another language.

Mandarin Chinese is what I was born and raised with, but I am more fluent in English than Manderin now. However I always count in Mandarin. If I count in English, I will lose count in about 5 seconds.

I am probably equally comfortable with concept of numbers (not counting) in English and Chinese.

How about you guys? Do you always count in the language you were born and raised with? I know one person who counts in his 2nd language (English).
    Native tongue...the language you were born and raised with, even though you speak other language(s)
    59.09%
    A language other than the one you were born and raised with
    18.18%
    I don't know...it's all a big jumble of mess in my head...
    18.18%
    I count in binary...
    4.55%
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

In my case I was really raised speaking three languages in parallel, so I unconsciously count contextually. Even in my dreams (which is supposed to be the ultimate determination of your language).

Incidentally I never knew that you were a native Mandarin speaker!

Comment

I hear you on the counting, I count in either German or English, if I start with one, I'll continue in English, and the same is true if I start with eins then its German till the end. My kids love listening to me chat with my sister who still lives in Lancashire, as the accent falls back into place.

Tony
      Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
        I hear you on the counting, I count in either German or English, if I start with one, I'll continue in English, and the same is true if I start with eins then its German till the end. My kids love listening to me chat with my sister who still lives in Lancashire, as the accent falls back into place.

Tony
        Tony I'm the same, if I start in German that's the one. My two lads still argue in German and if they are uptight ..it's German. When they shout at the kids its German:)

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
          Incidentally I never knew that you were a native Mandarin speaker!
          I am more American than most Americans around. I just don't look like the American you see on TV.

Comment

Tony and Dave, both of you are Brtish but speak German at home? Was it because you guys were deployed in Gemany during the Cold War?

Comment

I either count in Tamil or English, but like the others said if I start in English it ends in English and vice versa.
              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I count in english! Boring!! I do know how to count in Korean when I took Tang Soo Do and when I was stationed in Korea.
                “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                sigpic

Comment

I was raised through Irish (learned English from 5 onwards, but even then Irish was, and still is, my native language), and can relate - I'm often more comfortable speaking as Gaeilge, always count through it and it's even the language I tend to dream in .

I've also been told when I panic or am edgey I slip in and out of Irish!
                  Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                  - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    Tony and Dave, both of you are Brtish but speak German at home? Was it because you guys were deployed in Gemany during the Cold War?
                    Yes G. I spent about 18yrs of my 23 yrs in the Forces in Germany. Tony was in the same Regiment and decided to stay...lucky guy!

Comment

Even though I can count in both Korean (Hangul )and Japanese, If I start in one of those languages by 12 or 15 I'm counting in english.

I have dreamed where everyone was speaking in korean including me.

I have dreamed where everyone but me was speaking in japanese. Although I understood what they were saying and they understood me.

Comment

Hate maths with a passion so usually do so in english with a lot of swearing. I sometimes do count in hindi or malayalam but thats just mostly for practice.
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I count in English

Comment

Subconciously,I count in my native tongue,Punjabi.....but I tend to do multiplication and division.....hmmm na,even addition and and subtraction in English,again subconciously
                            When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                              Yes G. I spent about 18yrs of my 23 yrs in the Forces in Germany. Tony was in the same Regiment and decided to stay...lucky guy!
                              Cheers Dave,

It's not all roses and stuff, no naafi breaks within easy travelling distance, when you are down you just can't call up one of the blokes and go for lots of beer, better still drink his beer, puke on his carpet and sofa, the go home for breakfast, and feel fine until he calls to tell you what a W@nker you were, and his wife wants your gut for garters etc etc.

My locstat 30+km south of Munich.

The only advantages are I get to count my ammo in Both.

Tony
                              Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Working...
                              X