Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Server & Software Upgrade

Dear Members,

We have recently upgraded to a new dedicated server which will deliver far superior performance over the old one.

The old server had a Pentium 2.4 Ghz, with 1GB of RAM, and 1 7200rpm SATA hard drive.

Our new server has a Dual Core Intel Xeon 3060 processor, 4GB of RAM, and 2 15,000 RPM SAS (Serial attached SCSI) HDs in a RAID1 configuration.

Of course, it may take several hours for the IP address of the new server to fully propagate across the internet.

We have also upgraded the forum software from vBulletin 3.6.4 to 3.6.9. Next Sunday, we will perform another brief software upgrade to the stable release of vBulletin 3.7.0.

Ironduke
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

well i dont see it any faster, but i guess on the backend , it is going to help immensely.

Comment

Originally posted by cirrrocco View Post
      well i dont see it any faster, but i guess on the backend , it is going to help immensely.
      The site is running much faster and smoother for me. It will depend on the performance you had from the old server. i.e. If you're on a slow connection geographically far from where it was (New Jersey) then you won't see much of an improvement. The server is now located in Dallas, Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        The server is now located in Dallas, Texas.
        In God's own country - my town!!!!

No wonder it flies - seriously though, till all the DNS zones including overseas zone servers get replicated it will be slow or faster, depending on the "hops" your PC has to take to get here..

Should be all good in 24 - 48 hrs..:)

Comment

I took a look at one of our giant picture threads and it does seem more sprightly. Good work.
          HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
            In God's own country - my town!!!!
            Try not to get any BBQ sauce on it.
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              If you're on a slow connection geographically far from where it was (New Jersey) then you won't see much of an improvement. The server is now located in Dallas, Texas.
              Ah, why did you move from NJ

Oh and btw, Ive noticed the difference in speed...it catched up with my typing now :D

Thanks for the upgrade Rochen guys and WAB Admins!
              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I have no idea how the internet operates and so maybe I don't know the advantages the change gives.

All I know is that here, there does not seem to be any change.

But I will now watch and see it more closely.

Who knows there maybe a change, but since I eagerly await the opening of the site to see what's new, that is why maybe I see no change!!
                Last edited by Ray; 21 Apr 08,, 07:20.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Hmm havent noticed anything significant yet but nord's latest magnum opus (t-72) did seem to load a bit faster.
                  For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Working...
                  X