Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK is sitting on a racial tinder box, say most Britons

UK is sitting on a racial tinder box, say most Britons

London: Britain is sitting on a racial tinder box, according to a BBC poll that reveals that most Britons believe that race relations are so poor that they are likely to spill into violence any moment.
    Almost two-thirds of people in Britain fear the impact of poor race relations, and most believe that the country has too many immigrants.

Half of those polled wanted foreigners to be encouraged to leave the country. The poll also revealed that the proportion of people describing themselves as "racially prejudiced" was down to 20 per cent, compared with 24 per cent in 2005.

Britain's last serious race riots occurred in Oldham and Burnley in north England in 2001, when violent clashes erupted between white and Asian youths. Since then there has been an uneasy calm in several inner city areas across England.

Describing the findings as 'alarming', Equality and Human Rights Commission head Trevor Phillips told BBC News: "What worries me is if that friction starts to catch fire - if people do genuinely believe it's going to catch fire then we're in trouble.

"This finding may reflect not what is happening today but the story that's been told of the last 40 years - that if you get people of different kinds together then eventually there's going to be trouble."

The survey was commissioned to mark the 40th anniversary of Enoch Powell's infamous "rivers of blood" speech, in which he described the indigenous population's "sense of alarm and resentment" over immigration.

© Copyright 2008 PTI. All rights reserved.
    UK is sitting on a racial tinder box, say most Britons - National News – News – MSN India - News

Natives unhappy with immigrants? That's unheard of!

But seriously, at least the percentage of prejudiced people went down.

Comment

Originally posted by ameer View Post
      Natives unhappy with immigrants? That's unheard of!

But seriously, at least the percentage of REPORTED prejudiced people went down.
      A slight amendment Ameer;)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
        A slight amendment Ameer;)
        As a Britisher (like a teacher of mine used to say), what do you think about this?

Comment

Originally posted by ameer View Post
          As a Britisher (like a teacher of mine used to say), what do you think about this?
          Yes I think over the last few years there is a lot more feeling of the "foreigner" taking over. There has always been racial tension in the larger cities and towns, and as more and more immigrants come in the "Brits" feel threatened. They see their jobs threatened because immigrants will work for far less and will work longer for less, therefore owners of businesses are more likely to employ them before the "locals" The influx of criminal gangs from overseas is another huge problem..however the Home Secretary has refused to believe this, even though the Chief Constables has all reported huge crime figures committed by overseas gangs. The burden on the Health System, Schools and Courts are another headache for Government. So, when the "Brits" see all this going on around them they get uptight to say the least. It was reported that even the immigrants want a reduction in immigrants:)

Comment

The British, as one perceives from posters here as also from the media, are indeed a beleaguered people, who have their back against the wall and are in the same spot as Indians with the vote bank politics.

At least, in India, one can speak up about it.

The British appear to be very chary and uncomfortable to air their genuine views and instead kneel at the altar of PC and high thinking, lest the British image takes a toss!!

Just my view and I maybe totally ill informed!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

[QUOTE=Ray;484308]The British, as one perceives from posters here as also from the media, are indeed a beleaguered people, who have their back against the wall and are in the same spot as Indians with the vote bank politics.

The British appear to be very chary and uncomfortable to air their genuine views and instead kneel at the altar of PC and high thinking, lest the British image takes a toss!!

What British image is that then? The reason people tend not to speak out about the influx of immigrants too openly is the knowledge that they would be labelled as racist by the PC brigade and the Race Relations Agency (which needs to keep finding examples or their generous government funding might dry up). Once that happens there is little hope for them to be listened to. Even among my friends in public I notice they drop their voices if the topic of immigration comes up. The UK the land of free speech? Not any more.
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Glyn,

In India we'd be labeled anti-secular, religious fundamentalists. :)

BTW I'm still trying to find an Englishman in London and it's been more than a year since I came here to study. Maybe I should look somewhere in Downing street or keep a tab on Westminster to see if anyone passes by. .I know you - but you're not really an Englishman or so I hear. ;)

Comment

Nip into the duty free bars in Waste minster Palace, thats where you'll find 'em ..propping up the bar after the free lunch with their mates. Oh! just remembered, it's POETS day so you're too late

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                    Yes I think over the last few years there is a lot more feeling of the "foreigner" taking over. There has always been racial tension in the larger cities and towns, and as more and more immigrants come in the "Brits" feel threatened. They see their jobs threatened because immigrants will work for far less and will work longer for less, therefore owners of businesses are more likely to employ them before the "locals" The influx of criminal gangs from overseas is another huge problem..however the Home Secretary has refused to believe this, even though the Chief Constables has all reported huge crime figures committed by overseas gangs. The burden on the Health System, Schools and Courts are another headache for Government. So, when the "Brits" see all this going on around them they get uptight to say the least. It was reported that even the immigrants want a reduction in immigrants:)
                    Amen Mr.Lukins. In the 30 odd years since Trudeau(scum of the Earth)turned Canada into a third world farce ,crime rates have risen in direct proportion to the influx of immigrants to the affected area's. In other words, we now have Asian, Jamaican, Somali, Indian, and 30 other "ethnic gangs" where once there was but social peace and quiet. When I lived in Toronto during the mentioned scumbags days in power in the 70.s there were no Irish or English or German or Scottish or Dutch or french or any gangs having gun fights on yonge street over turf or drugs. So tell me. Still think multiculturalism is a good thing?

Comment

[QUOTE=Samudra;484387]Glyn,

In India we'd be labeled anti-secular, religious fundamentalists. :)

BTW I'm still trying to find an Englishman in London and it's been more than a year since I came here to study.

Keep looking! Your search may yet be crowned with success.:) It seemed to me on my recent visit to the capital that about half the people I saw were of 'European' appearance, with about 20% Asian, 15% or thereabouts Afro-Caribbean and around 10% Oriental. I expect all races were there in number. Obviously this isn't a scientific survey, just my impression. Many languages were heard. Accents too. You wouldn't believe how many Aussies and Kiwis I heard!

Maybe I should look somewhere in Downing street or keep a tab on Westminster to see if anyone passes by. .

I wouldn't recommend searching in Downing Street as they're all Jockalese there!
                      I know you - but you're not really an Englishman or so I hear. ;)

Absolutely right!
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

[QUOTE=glyn;484317]
                        Originally posted by Ray View Post
                        The British, as one perceives from posters here as also from the media, are indeed a beleaguered people, who have their back against the wall and are in the same spot as Indians with the vote bank politics.

What British image is that then? The reason people tend not to speak out about the influx of immigrants too openly is the knowledge that they would be labelled as racist by the PC brigade and the Race Relations Agency (which needs to keep finding examples or their generous government funding might dry up). Once that happens there is little hope for them to be listened to. Even among my friends in public I notice they drop their voices if the topic of immigration comes up. The UK the land of free speech? Not any more.
                        That is just the point.

Yes indeed the slur of being called a racist would be what prevents pragmatism.

Immigration is not the real problem, it is to make those new British citizens of immigrant extraction, whatever be their colour or race, realise that they are British and be proud to be British.

The British themselves will have to rediscover their identity and not be clones of the cousins and make all feel proud to identify themselves to be British.

Like the time of the British Raj where many became WOGs voluntarily! :))

It should not be the loose identity that is current, which almost appears a free for all thing.

I know I have not been able to explain this well, but it should be like what immigrants to the US become including those who have just touched the soil of the US - very patriotic and vociferously defending the US, right or wrong. I have met many such Indian origin Americans, who out American Americans! If that can happen in the US, it surely can happen in the UK and the UK has to rediscover its identity and make it attractive to be known as British.

I honestly don't know how that can be done.
                        Last edited by Ray; 18 Apr 08,, 18:36.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

[QUOTE=Ray;484543]
                          Originally posted by glyn View Post

That is just the point.

Immigration is not the real problem, it is to make those new British citizens of immigrant extraction, whatever be their colour or race, realise that they are British and be proud to be British.

The British themselves will have to rediscover their indentity and not be clones of the cousins and make all feel proud to identify themselves to be British.

It should not be the loose identity that is current, which almost appears a free for all thing.

I know I have not been able to explain this well, but it should be like what immigrants to the US become including those who have just touched the soil of the US - very patriotic and vociferously defending the US citizens. I have met many such Indian origin Americans, who out American Americans! If that can happen in the US, it surely can happen in the UK and the UK has to rediscover its identity and make it attractive to be known as British.

The white brits may appear to speak in hushed voices in public, but that does not seem to prevent them from shouting "p*ki" in the streets at the brown guys.

Anyway, I remember reading about a survey which showed that more new immigrants considering themselves to be "British" while the more of the natives considered themselves English/ Welsh/ Scottish.

Not sure what to make of that
                          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

[QUOTE=Ray;484543]
                            Originally posted by glyn View Post

That is just the point.

The British themselves will have to rediscover their indentity and not be clones of the cousins and make all feel proud to identify themselves to be British.

I know I have not been able to explain this well, but it should be like what immigrants to the US become including those who have just touched the soil of the US - very patriotic and vociferously defending the US citizens. I have met many such Indian origin Americans, who out American Americans! If that can happen in the US, it surely can happen in the UK and the UK has to rediscover its identity and make it attractive to be known as British.

The white brits may appear to speak in hushed voices in public, but that does not seem to prevent them from shouting "p*ki" in the streets at the brown guys.

Anyway, I remember reading about a survey which showed that more new immigrants considering themselves to be "British" while the more of the natives considered themselves English/ Welsh/ Scottish.

Not sure what to make of that...
                            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Antimony,

What about 'brown' people calling them 'goras' in a very demeaning way.

Comment

Working...
                              X