PDA

View Full Version : Where you are from?

Ironduke
04 Aug 03,, 05:26
I'm currently living in northern Minnesota, USA.

Bill
04 Aug 03,, 22:28
Philthadelphia.

LOL

Lunatock
05 Aug 03,, 02:30
Little Tits! Lititz. Sometimes pronounced "La Tits" by someone who never heard of it.

rahul007
07 Aug 03,, 15:43
I am originally from Hyderabad, India.

Currently living in New Jersey (desiland) :D

Gio
07 Aug 03,, 23:19
The land of recalls and shame: Southern California. :D

Bill
07 Aug 03,, 23:30
LOL, New Germany.

Gio
08 Aug 03,, 01:15
:p

bigross86
08 Aug 03,, 13:30
Born in NY, raised in Israel. Love both places, but if it comes down to a choice, Israel.

Stinger
08 Aug 03,, 16:42
Arlington (smack dab between Dallas and Fort Worth) Texas.

Lunatock
09 Aug 03,, 07:20
Born in NY, raised in Israel. Love both places, but if it comes down to a choice, Israel.

The Pizza in Tel Aviv can't be as good. And New York has a better location and badder people to defend it. :p

bigross86
10 Aug 03,, 05:20
bigross86 wrote:

The Pizza in Tel Aviv can't be as good. And New York has a better location and badder people to defend it.

Yeah, but in Israel you're allowed to shoot back...

Lunatock
10 Aug 03,, 05:31
bigross86 wrote:

The Pizza in Tel Aviv can't be as good. And New York has a better location and badder people to defend it.

Yeah, but in Israel you're allowed to shoot back...

True. But in NYC, theres a popular belief in not caring that it's wrong.

bigross86
10 Aug 03,, 16:25
We don't care here either. It's the UN (Unpopular Nations inc.) that 's based in NY that seems to care.

Lunatock
10 Aug 03,, 17:03
Quite true. Mayor Guilianni's second greatest moment...was telling the NYPD to start ticketing Diplomats who thought they could park thier cars where ever they damn well chose.

bigross86
10 Aug 03,, 17:25
I like the time Rudy arrested Arafat when he came to get the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994. Rudy said screw it, he doesn't have diplomatic immunity, his country doesn't exist! When the UN said they'd fight to get him back, he said bring it on! His cops would kick any UN army's ass!!!

Lunatock
10 Aug 03,, 17:55
I like the time Rudy arrested Arafat when he came to get the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994. Rudy said screw it, he doesn't have diplomatic immunity, his country doesn't exist! When the UN said they'd fight to get him back, he said bring it on! His cops would kick any UN army's ass!!!

Arrested him? Thought it was a refusal to be in the same room as him.

Let's not forget the Saudi Prince giving Mayor Guilianni a check after 9/11. Then Rudy gave it right back, after the Saudi Prince suggested it was America's Foreign Policy towards Israel that caused the attack.

bigross86
10 Aug 03,, 23:40
Yeah, I like Rudy. I was stopped by Rudy's/Bloomberg's motorcade when they flew to Israel in December '01 (I think) In Bloomberg's own jet. They stayed for mybe 12 hours, made a few speeches, and left.

BruteGorilla
12 Aug 03,, 09:50
I am an Indian and i live in Dubai.

thrawn
13 Aug 03,, 19:37
Ahhh yes I live in comfortable well defended Seattle.

ChrisF202
13 Aug 03,, 19:40
Rudy G arrested Arafat? Is that when they used the NYPD tank?

bigross86
13 Aug 03,, 19:59
I'm not quite sure what the wholew story was, I was only 8 at the time...

ChrisF202
13 Aug 03,, 20:03
I dont remember it either, but i do remeber seeing a pic of a Sherman tank on the front page of Newsday with the letters NYPD on the side

bigross86
13 Aug 03,, 20:12
Do you remember anything else? I can't find it on Google or on the Newsday website/Archive

ChrisF202
13 Aug 03,, 21:06
nope :H

bigross86
13 Aug 03,, 21:13
That's also sort of how I'm feeling right about now

markaspen
15 Aug 03,, 18:06
Pittsburgh, via Boston, Brooklyn, Kibbutz Yahel, Jerusalem, Hatzbaia, Marjayoun, Bin't Jbeil, Jub Jennine and various bivouacs and rifle pits "somewhere in Israel."

Lunatock
15 Aug 03,, 18:10
Pittsburgh, via Boston, Brooklyn, Kibbutz Yahel, Jerusalem, Hatzbaia, Marjayoun, Bin't Jbeil, Jub Jennine and various bivouacs and rifle pits "somewhere in Israel."

Like he said. South east Pa. via Brooklyn, Ireland, Poland, and Germany.

Been to: Vilnius, Lithuania. Johnstown, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh Pa. Warsaw, Poland. London, England. Ocean City, Maryland. Chincoteague, Virginia. Minsk, Lithuania. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Brooklyn, NY.

Passed through countless towns, cities, and backwater shitholes.

All roads lead to Brooklyn. :)Clp

ChrisF202
15 Aug 03,, 18:21

They said that AQ would love to hit Seattle, the Seattle Police Dept. has like 400 full time officers i heard, thats quite small for a major city.

Lunatock
16 Aug 03,, 00:28

They said that AQ would love to hit Seattle, the Seattle Police Dept. has like 400 full time officers i heard, thats quite small for a major city.

Makes me glad to be living in a fairly unknown town. In one of the most pro-gun states.
And approaching it in a conventional invasion sense would really be a bitch. Surrounded by hills, in it's own little valley. And/or a long stretch of nothing leading into it. Three sides is fields leading to steep hills.

Fourth way in is a horshoe shaped road. With a bowl shaped field being the only other option to enter the town from.

bigross86
16 Aug 03,, 19:45
Doesn't sound like such a fun thing to attack if you don't have air/arty cover.

Lunatock
16 Aug 03,, 20:57
Probably wouldn't be. And to be more precise, the horseshoe shaped road. Resembles a mountain road that was the scene of a Soviet Convoy being ambushed, in Afganistan.

The terrain would make a large scale game of capture the flag interesting, to say the least. Maybe more so for the home team, camping on top of the hills, or in the trees & watching the visitors as thy try to get into thier territory.

bigross86
16 Aug 03,, 21:12
Is there any way to get there aside from the horseshoe road?

ChrisF202
16 Aug 03,, 21:17

hike through the mountains

bigross86
16 Aug 03,, 21:37
That isn't too hard for attacking troops from about 95% of countries that would invade somewhere else.

Lunatock
16 Aug 03,, 22:40

Yeah, down one hill. Across a meadow on ankle deep grass, and up the other hill. Also a steam to cross twice along the way.

bigross86
16 Aug 03,, 22:43
That's not too bad. And the grass is good for camo/hiding purposes.

ChrisF202
16 Aug 03,, 23:05
can i have a map of wjere you live?

Lunatock
17 Aug 03,, 01:31
BR

It'd be good for hiding perhaps. As long as you kept a good distance. It'd be easy enough to find cover and get out of sight of any Snipers, from the posisiton I'm thinking of. Just back away from the edge of the hill.

Ones that are good enough to not be seen crawling along the equivalent of a front lawn that is.

Clear sunny days would not be the ideal time to try getting around that. Bad thunderstorms or Snowstorms would make it harder to be spotted.
Also maybe fog. And it'd be a safer condition.

Some trees. But it's a long way up them to reach the branches.

A cornfield, depending on the season. But again, only good if someones right at the edge of the hill.

A farm...to far into the little valley, to get a good shot. The road leading back to town is completely hidden by a hill.

A horse stable that might be a better position. But leaves you with the option of hiding around a corner, or getting in a stable, and risk getting trampled by a spooked horse.

Wonder what Snipe would make of this? Since being out in the open & advancing would be for those with a deathwish. Especially on the low ground.

Chris. Best map I have, is of Lancaster County. Will snap some pics of that area. Maybe also the north & West roads into town. Got some pics of the south entrence/exit, good view & at least a mile of nothing from the top of that hill. But no way to scan them.

ChrisF202
17 Aug 03,, 01:41
what city, Lancaster County, what state?

Lunatock
17 Aug 03,, 02:17
Lititz. Lancaster County. Pennsylvania.

ChrisF202
17 Aug 03,, 02:21
Lititz. Lancaster County. Pennsylvania.

thanks, ill look on mapquest 8)

ChrisF202
17 Aug 03,, 02:24
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=&city=Lit itz++&state=PA&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map
My plan: flood Lititz Pike, W Lincoln Ave., W Orange Street, East Main, and Route 501 with tanks and storm into town and disembark mechanized infantry to fight house to house

bigross86
17 Aug 03,, 02:28
The words B-52, Hawg and Howitzer definetely come to min. After that we have a full frontal assault on whatever is left remaining after the bombardment. Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

ChrisF202
17 Aug 03,, 02:33
Theres no oposition; some Lititz Burouh Police officers, a few Lancaster County sheriff's deputies, a handful of Penn. state troopers, some national guardsmen (maybe) and deffinatly some armed civilians, its not worth wasting a few bombs, ill check the FBI's UCR for the number of cops, theres maybe around 200 armed civilians and at best no more then 100 national guardsmen.

bigross86
17 Aug 03,, 02:43
Yeah, but there is the horseshoe which is a great point for ambush, and registered guns aren't gonna be the only weapons used. Plus you have to think about guerilla tactics after you occupy the objective. Curfew, patrols, seizures, etc...

Lunatock
17 Aug 03,, 18:11
Theres no oposition; some Lititz Burouh Police officers, a few Lancaster County sheriff's deputies, a handful of Penn. state troopers, some national guardsmen (maybe) and deffinatly some armed civilians, its not worth wasting a few bombs, ill check the FBI's UCR for the number of cops, theres maybe around 200 armed civilians and at best no more then 100 national guardsmen.

Believe me, the real threat in front of you would be:

The armed civilians.

Anyone from Ft Indiantown Gap that wants an excuse to get out of Sunday Manuevers or KP Duty.

And if you read The Year in Hate post. There'd be a problem with armed Civi's hitting you from behind from the south (Lancaster) West (York) and East (Philly..best for last, right Snipe? :) ) at estimated intervals of 10-20 minutes.

Theres also a possible problem for an invasion force to run into a visitor to this town they'd prefer not to. Found out first hand that sometimes Elite Soldiers or Somali Delegates pass through, probably business at Ft. Indiantown Gap.

Any given day, Somali's that might have who knows what concealed would probably be forced to reveal a cache hidden in their Trunk.

A random D-Boy or Ranger would happen to be in town, and would either choose to, or not have a choice but to get involved.

Or one more hypothetical scenario:

What would everyone say the odds were. That Richard Marsinko would just so happen to be sitting at a table outside a local coffee shop.

And Big Ross, part of the house to house fighting, would do something that'd make him spill hot coffee, or whatever meal he is eating, on his lap? :0 (w00t)

ChrisF202
17 Aug 03,, 18:17
Lititz Burough Police Dept. - 16
*Lancaster County Sheriff's Office - 201
*Pennsylvania State Police - 5,664
*Other agencies (Penn. State Constable, ECON officers, etc) - 227

estimated 500 people to defend town

* - total force number

btw Lunatock how is Lititz pronounced? Lil Tits? :D, also isent this by where hijacked airliner Flight 93 crashed when passengers tried to take it back on 9/11/01?[/i]

ChrisF202
17 Aug 03,, 18:20
The Navy SEAL guy from Rogue Warrior lives there?

bigross86
17 Aug 03,, 18:55
I didn't quite understand your question 'Tock. I'm exhausted and tired and jetlagged and various other excuses as to why I got up at 1:00 PM

Lunatock
17 Aug 03,, 19:30
I didn't quite understand your question 'Tock. I'm exhausted and tired and jetlagged and various other excuses as to why I got up at 1:00 PM

Look up some info on Richard Marsinko.

Um...not that I know of Chris. Just not underestimaing the chances he'd actually be in this town if it was invaded like that. I've learned not to underestimate the possibility of weird turns of events happening around here.

Lunatock
17 Aug 03,, 19:31
Lititz Burough Police Dept. - 16
*Lancaster County Sheriff's Office - 201
*Pennsylvania State Police - 5,664
*Other agencies (Penn. State Constable, ECON officers, etc) - 227

estimated 500 people to defend town

* - total force number

btw Lunatock how is Lititz pronounced? Lil Tits? :D, also isent this by where hijacked airliner Flight 93 crashed when passengers tried to take it back on 9/11/01?[/i]

Last time I checked, the civi population was around 20,000. Not sure how many out of that would pick up Guns & defend thier homes.

Actually, it's pronounced like the words lit & its. But Little tits is the cute nickname for it. :D

Actually, no. Flight 93 went down near Pittsburgh. My town is about an hour from Philly.

bigross86
17 Aug 03,, 19:34
Figure at least a couple thousand? It also depends on the attacking army. Is their goal to just capture the town, or to kill everybody in it?

Lunatock
17 Aug 03,, 19:58
Figure at least a couple thousand? It also depends on the attacking army. Is their goal to just capture the town, or to kill everybody in it?

Dunno. I'm only interested in defending where I live. Your the invader. :)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=&city=Lit itz++&state=PA&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map
My plan: flood Lititz Pike, W Lincoln Ave., W Orange Street, East Main, and Route 501 with tanks and storm into town and disembark mechanized infantry to fight house to house

The words B-52, Hawg and Howitzer definetely come to min. After that we have a full frontal assault on whatever is left remaining after the bombardment. Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Both of these actually happening would be a good reason I've invested such an interest in the invasion of Chechnya.

Ever read about the first battle for Grozny? Russia did just what you guys said you would. Dropped some bombs & artillery. Then sent a column of Armor and Infantry into the center of Grozny.

STHF when they got there. The Rebels let them roll in. Then slaughtered them all, as soon as they got themselves surrounded by a pack of Nokche Bores, or Chechan Wolves.

Being the closest thing to a field commander. And without any Military, especialy Spec Ops advice.

My plan would be to sit back & take the artillery & bombs. Then as soon as word got out that your forces were rolling in. abandon the houses & buildings still standing. And take advantage of the ruined ones having plenty of places to hide in. Or various othewr hiding spots that are known to those who live here.

So the ground forces roll in without a problem. Phase one of the ambush would be to start detonating explosives attached to the bottom of manhole covers, trees, the bottom of fire hydrant caps, and telephone poles (some might still have power no less). Trees & phone poles are plentiful, no matter where you go in this town .

Then phase two would start very shortly after. However many guns and/or rockets there may be.

The shortage of shoulder mounted rockets can be made up for with a plentifull supply of malatov cocktails, for the tanks & APC's.

That strategy worked real well against Russia, the first time in Grozny. After they thought they could just roll in and tell everyone to bow before them. Posted here, it might sound like it'd create a large amount of disorder among the troops rolling in.

Though speaking matter of factly, the Chechans were only able to keep Grozny from falling to Russia twice, they had to retreat, and did, when Russia had it surrounded the third time.

And this signifigantly smaller town wouldn't be able to hold out forever. against the kind of siege you two thinking of.

Maybe only slap an IDF invasion force across the face once or twice. And hold out long enough for a counter attack from somewhere else to be able to avenge this town and everyone holed up in it.

ChrisF202
17 Aug 03,, 20:00
My town would be tough to defend, see map below.

Map: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=&city=Wes t+Islip&state=NY&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

zoom in one level for a much better view

West Islip is the area in between the yellow road on the left,a little left of the Rbt. Moses Causeway on the left and the road below Guggenheim Lake, population of 39,000 in 2002, 2 SCPD officers in town at any moment, plus state troopers, sheriff's deputies, other law enforcement, and armed civilians, theres also a handful of National Guardsmen at the Bay Shore Armory.

Lunatock
17 Aug 03,, 20:06
It'd appear to be tough to invade. Simply because West Islip would be in front. And the rest of the pissed off New Yorkers would be atacking from the rear, and/or the flanks.

New Yorkers can be nasty enough. And there has to be at least a little pent up anger, after the September 11th attacks.

ChrisF202
17 Aug 03,, 20:09
It'd appear to be tough to invade. Simply because West Islip would be in front. And the rest of the pissed off New Yorkers would be atacking from the rear, and/or the flanks.

New Yorkers can be nasty enough. And there has to be at least a little pent up anger, after the September 11th attacks.

all the roads, then theres a seaborne invasion and using the Rbt. Moses Causeway (doubt it can hold a tanks weight), seaborne invasion maybe not practical because of the canals

Lunatock
18 Aug 03,, 00:55

all the roads, then theres a seaborne invasion and using the Rbt. Moses Causeway (doubt it can hold a tanks weight), seaborne invasion maybe not practical because of the canals

Best way to go about a seaborne invasion. Land on the upper right & left edges of long island. Then work back towards the sea. Make it all the way there. And landing supplies and reinforcements would be a bit more practical.

Officer of Engineers
18 Aug 03,, 04:41
Lunatock,

You've misread a few things about Grozny. The Russians didn't hit everywhere. The Chechens were in buildings shooting down onto the Russian column. The angle was such that the Russian turret guns couldn't aim high enough to hit back. In the latter part of the battle, the Russians just decided to level the entire city, block by block, building by building. The problem with such a tactic is that it's time consuming and have big time leakage. The Chechen defenders were able to leave at will.

In the Second Chechen War, the Russians relearned their WWII lessons and dragged their AA batteries into the battle with them. The Chechens were blasted from their ten story hide outs and not given time to find escape routes. Hence, their withdrawl into a minefield. The Russians also relearned to assign close fire support to their forces and took their time to plan their ops.

The Russians also used thermobaric weapons in that war with devastating effect. First you got the overpressure from the blast. Then, you get the negative impressure from the implosion as the oxygen is consumed and must be replaced by surrounding gases which includes the gases in a human body. In other words, even if you survive the overpressure behind a brick wall, you will not survive the effects of no oxygen and negative pressure.

Oh, one more word - reconaisance.

bigross86
18 Aug 03,, 08:51
My town would be fairly easy to invade. Everything runs off two main parallel streets, and there is a beach 15 minutes away, RR tracks on the edge of town, and three or four major roads running on the outskirts of town

ChrisF202
18 Aug 03,, 14:51
My town would be fairly easy to invade. Everything runs off two main parallel streets, and there is a beach 15 minutes away, RR tracks on the edge of town, and three or four major roads running on the outskirts of town

Your in Israel and have one of the best armed forces in the world

Lunatock
18 Aug 03,, 18:13
Lunatock,

You've misread a few things about Grozny. The Russians didn't hit everywhere. The Chechens were in buildings shooting down onto the Russian column. The angle was such that the Russian turret guns couldn't aim high enough to hit back. In the latter part of the battle, the Russians just decided to level the entire city, block by block, building by building. The problem with such a tactic is that it's time consuming and have big time leakage. The Chechen defenders were able to leave at will.

In the Second Chechen War, the Russians relearned their WWII lessons and dragged their AA batteries into the battle with them. The Chechens were blasted from their ten story hide outs and not given time to find escape routes. Hence, their withdrawl into a minefield. The Russians also relearned to assign close fire support to their forces and took their time to plan their ops.

The Russians also used thermobaric weapons in that war with devastating effect. First you got the overpressure from the blast. Then, you get the negative impressure from the implosion as the oxygen is consumed and must be replaced by surrounding gases which includes the gases in a human body. In other words, even if you survive the overpressure behind a brick wall, you will not survive the effects of no oxygen and negative pressure.

Oh, one more word - reconaisance.

Read they also used Mustard Gas in Checnya as well. That was mentioned towards the end of Aukai Collins book. "Chechnya revisited".

bigross86
18 Aug 03,, 18:19

Your in Israel and have one of the best armed forces in the world

Yes, but Israel is at a 50:1 ratio to the Arab world. The combined armies of only a few countries could quickly match numbers to reach a 1:1 ratio, enemy to Israeli citizen. Due to the peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan, though, two major players and staging areas have been taken out of play.

Officer of Engineers
18 Aug 03,, 22:14
Lunatock,

There has been such rumours about chems in Chechnya. The only confirmed usage is tear gas and its variants. I'm not a big fan of mercs, especially those who write books afterwards as the authority on that conflict when they never get to see the whole picture. They do not have access to labs to confirm mustard gas. Few of us have been trained extensively to recognize the signs, I think the medics more than anyone else. I couldn't tell you the difference between being suffocated by tear gas (ie lack of oxygen) in a confined space and mustard gas.

I recommend the Foreign Military Studies Office Publications on the Conflict in Chechnya (http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/fmsopubs/fmsopubs.htm#conflict), especially those by LCols Thomas and Grau, both USArmy retired.

Bill
19 Aug 03,, 07:30
Mustard gas will inflict severe blistering of exposed skin.

Tear Gas(CS is used by the military- MUCH stronger) causes only minor irritation to exposed skin, unless there is an allergic reaction.

Officer of Engineers
19 Aug 03,, 11:00
The Russian pepper spray variant does cause a visible skin reaction though not as severe as mustard gas. The Chechens, however, has claimed mustard gas when none has been deployed. It would be hard under combat conditions to distinquish a minor mustard gas exposure or a heavy pepper spray variant exposure over some rotted corpses, especially to untrained eyes.

Also, the Russian army was not responsible for deploying gas. That was the militia (aka internal security).

bigross86
19 Aug 03,, 11:09
What gases does the US Army have?

Jay
20 Aug 03,, 01:45
What about Sarin ?? i think it can be readily prepared...remember the tokyo subway attacks??

bigross86
20 Aug 03,, 02:05
It took them a $hitload of time and money to prepare that sarin.

Lunatock
20 Aug 03,, 22:20

Snaped a few pics of your planned, hypothetical attack routes today.

Soon as those, the pic I snapped of Mars, and whatever else I may take with this camera gets developed.

Then one of my plans to get some of the pics scanned & hosted will be pulled off. :)Clp

ChrisF202
20 Aug 03,, 22:34

Snaped a few pics of your planned, hypothetical attack routes today.

Soon as those, the pic I snapped of Mars, and whatever else I may take with this camera gets developed.

Then one of my plans to get some of the pics scanned & hosted will be pulled off. :)Clp

ill be waiting for the pics

bigross86
21 Aug 03,, 01:56
You think the Mars pix will come out? Friend of mine tried getting a pic of the moon. It was too dark and the flash didn't get that far...

Lunatock
23 Aug 03,, 03:00
Let's find out shall we?...

Ironduke
24 Aug 03,, 00:42
When is Mars supposed to be at its brightest?

bigross86
24 Aug 03,, 09:27
This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will
culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded
history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way
Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only
be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000
years but it may be as long as 60,000 years.
The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within
34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the
night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc
seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification, Mars will look as large as
the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot.
At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach
its azimuth at about 3 a.m. But by the end of August when the two planets
are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the
sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something
that no human has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the
beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter
throughout the month.
Share this! No one alive today will ever see this again

ChrisF202
25 Aug 03,, 13:39
Lunatock, where are those pictures? :D

bigross86
25 Aug 03,, 13:45
Apparently not here...

ChrisF202
25 Aug 03,, 13:48
:D

Lunatock
25 Aug 03,, 14:31
Still in the camera. Undeveloped.

bigross86
25 Aug 03,, 16:14
Why? Trying to get some pix of when it's closest?

kingfrogger
25 Aug 03,, 18:29
Originally: Misery... errr, Missouri, that is.

Currently: DFW area (Arlington), Texas.... good ol' U.S. of A.

ChrisF202
25 Aug 03,, 19:04
Originally: Misery... errr, Missouri, that is.

Currently: DFW area (Arlington), Texas.... good ol' U.S. of A.
I have an aunt and uncle in Bedford, Texas

kingfrogger
25 Aug 03,, 20:58
Stinger and I are both in Arlington. It's the home of Six Flags over Texas, (unfortunately) the Texas Rangers MLB team, and ummm... that's about it.

Bedford's just a stone's throw from here.

bigross86
26 Aug 03,, 10:48
I'm assuming you don't like the rangers...

kingfrogger
26 Aug 03,, 19:11
If you watch ANY Major League baseball, you can remove that statement pretty darn quickly.

Actually, I don't mind the Rangers. It's just that I miss the old days, when they were actually a 'possible' pennant contending team.

Now you go to watch A-Rod and a few others make a couple nice plays, watch them lead by about 4 or 5 runs 'til the 8th inning, then get beaten like they stole someone's cookie.

It's embarassing after a while, that's all.

bigross86
27 Aug 03,, 08:42
... then get beaten like they stole someone's cookie

LOL! I barely watch stuff like MLB cause of the time difference. 4:00 AM isn't time to be rooting for anyone, even the Yankees. I (sometimes) make an effort to stay up for World Series games...

kingfrogger
27 Aug 03,, 16:46
I can definitely understand that.

But then again I may be biased as well. Football is MY "America's favorite pasttime," not baseball.

Just not enough hitting in baseball. :H

(I could start a TOTALLY new thread right there... "Recommended Rule Changes to Make Baseball More Interesting". Hmmm...)

bigross86
27 Aug 03,, 17:33
Well, if you let the ball players inhale a bit before each game and than gave them a mike it would at least be funnier...

kingfrogger
27 Aug 03,, 21:45
I assume you're talking about 'helium'?

You just said 'inhale'... images of Slick Willy floating through my mind.

:-|

bigross86
27 Aug 03,, 21:54
Well, helium wasn't what I was referring to, but that would work if you gave it to the umpire. Have him yell in a really high, squeaky voice. You're out!

kingfrogger
27 Aug 03,, 21:59
I sort of figured from the 'inhale' reference that you were talking about something else, but I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Also, didn't know where the microphones came in... :twisted:

bigross86
27 Aug 03,, 22:04
So you can hear them talking/muttering to themselves and when they talk to their teammates...

kingfrogger
27 Aug 03,, 22:08
LMAO... too many bad jokes rushing into my head at the same time...

bigross86
27 Aug 03,, 22:11
That was more or less the point. Share them, don't withhold them!

markaspen
29 Aug 03,, 15:11
Not going to attack W. Islip. Gonna knock down all three E. River Bridges, flood the Midtown and Battery Tunnels, and take out the Throgs Neck and Whitestone Bridges too. Blockade the damn island, see Glen Cove attack Garden City for the last drops of coffee.

bigross86
30 Aug 03,, 21:16
They like coffee that much?

Lunatock
30 Aug 03,, 22:15
Not going to attack W. Islip. Gonna knock down all three E. River Bridges, flood the Midtown and Battery Tunnels, and take out the Throgs Neck and Whitestone Bridges too. Blockade the damn island, see Glen Cove attack Garden City for the last drops of coffee.

Only a little bit of coffee left. While that attack is going on. Frank Grimes & Myself would sneak in & rob them blind. There should be enough left for us to divide equally. :D

bigross86
31 Aug 03,, 06:21
If there's a litle bit of coffe left, why don't the supermarkets restock?

Praxus
31 Aug 03,, 15:54
I am from South Jersey, about 20 minutes outside Philly.

HorriBelle
03 Sep 03,, 09:01
I'm from Malaysia, that's somewhere in southeast asia. Between Thailand and <strike>Singawhore</strike> errr.. a small country. :D

bigross86
03 Sep 03,, 13:04
LOL!!!

ChrisF202
03 Sep 03,, 21:47
Originally posted by HorriBelle
I'm from Malaysia, that's somewhere in southeast asia. Between Thailand and <strike>Singawhore</strike> errr.. a small country. :D
lol :D

Ziska
04 Sep 03,, 08:28
I live in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia. It would be kinda hard to invade, with only two major outlets and a river running through it. Also, being on a small island at the bottom of Australia helps.

I tell you what, if we were invaded, I'd head for the highlands, and they'd have a bugger of a time getting us down :)

But we have no guns. :( Guns are pretty much illegal in Australia unless you have a darn good reason for owning one. I make up for it with a collection of nunchaku, bokken, quaterstaves, tonfa, and axe handles, but a gun would be nice.

bigross86
04 Sep 03,, 08:58
Have you read the "Tomorrow When the War Began" series by John Marsden? The storyline is pretty much exactly what you said. The whole series is:

Tomorrow When the War Began
The Dead of Night
A Killing Frost
Darkness Be My Friend
Burning for Revenge
The Other Side of Dawn
The Night Is for Hunting

It's one of the greatest series' of books I've ever read.

Ziska
04 Sep 03,, 10:00
Yeah, I read the series. It's very popular in Australian high schools, for early-mid teen readers. I didn't really like them for a couple of reasons, probably the main one being when I read them (at 16), I'd already been reading 'grown-up' authors like Wilbur Smith + Tom Clancy for four years.

Not giving any specifics about who the 'invaders' were really weakened the plot IMO. I can understand why Marsden (a leftie) didn't want to single out any country like Indonesia as a potential invader, and I thought it worked for the first book (as the kids were really confused and didn't have any idea what was going on) but by the last one, you'd think they would have worked out who they were fighting against.

And I thought the sex was a bit much. Especially considering the book is aimed at young teenage readers.

bigross86
04 Sep 03,, 10:19
I also read Clancy for quite a bit before I read these, but they were interesting. They looke at the other side of warfare, not soldiers and armies and all that...

And the sex part was just a bonus...

Ziska
04 Sep 03,, 10:47
Hmm. I thought the concept was really interesting, but the delivery was lacking.

Australia is the only continent in the world that hasn't seen an invasion (aside from european colonisation, and whether that was an invasion is debateable).

Giving the invaders more of a face would have done wonders for the series, and the whole multi-cultural message was far too heavy-handed for me.

I mean, for a book about war, set in Rural Australia, the whole thing was just too implausible. ONe day perhaps I'll write a book like it, but better.

Leader
06 Sep 03,, 17:31
I was born in Oakland, CA. I now live about 30 miles outside of Boston in Norwood, MA.

Lunatock
06 Oct 03,, 19:49
Bump to top. Those pics are going to be developed soon.

And I asked Snipe to help me out witrh the scanning parts of the four main roads into this town.

Hopefully he answers soon.

2DREZQ
08 Oct 03,, 19:39
North Dakota

and the only potential invader is the Canadians. We don't worry about them much, as we've got the these guys in Fargo
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/86444/Badlands.jpg
The Happy Hooligan's - and they're good...

and our Weekend Warriors can pretty much handle the whole Canadian Army (If it isn't after 1700 on a saturday).

Oh, and you might get to meet some of these fine folks from Minot AFB

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/86444/5bwpatch_B52.gif

And how long does it take to retarget a Minuteman III (91st Space Wing, Minot AFB)?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/86444/91mgcol.jpg

Sorry, I just think all these folks are so cool.

TopHatter
08 Oct 03,, 19:52
Wow, I never did post on this one.
OK, here goes:

Born: Saint Charles IL
Grew up in: Crystal Lake and Cary IL
Moved to: Cape Coral/Fort Myers FL in 1998. (and I ain't moving unless it's at gunpoint)

Jay
09 Oct 03,, 02:15
Born : Tamil Nadu, India.
Grewup : same as above, as well as Chicago, IL

And except The British :cry :sniper, no one invaded us in last 2000 odd years.

Jay
09 Oct 03,, 02:19
Originally posted by HorriBelle
cool cool, wher at? KL?

TopHatter
10 Oct 03,, 22:30
Hey Jay, where did you live in Chicago? :)

Jay
11 Oct 03,, 00:43
I live in Italian town, close to UIC.
Are you from Chicago too?

P.s: chek out Cubs :)

TopHatter
11 Oct 03,, 03:23
I grew up in the NW suburbs of Chicago :D

Jay
12 Oct 03,, 05:02
nice, where at? i used to live in Buffalo Groove :D

ChrisF202
12 Oct 03,, 18:08
Originally posted by Ziska
I live in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia. It would be kinda hard to invade, with only two major outlets and a river running through it. Also, being on a small island at the bottom of Australia helps.

I tell you what, if we were invaded, I'd head for the highlands, and they'd have a bugger of a time getting us down :)

But we have no guns. :( Guns are pretty much illegal in Australia unless you have a darn good reason for owning one. I make up for it with a collection of nunchaku, bokken, quaterstaves, tonfa, and axe handles, but a gun would be nice.

Dont the police carry guns in Australia?

Julie
13 Oct 03,, 04:14
Georgia, U.S.A., right above the Florida line.

Ziska
13 Oct 03,, 06:41
Originally posted by ChrisF202
Dont the police carry guns in Australia?

Yeah, but they have to leave them at the cop shop when they are off duty. The only people who can have guns legally at home are farmers etc and people who have spent a shitload on licences and safety courses.

ChrisF202
13 Oct 03,, 13:40
Originally posted by Ziska
Yeah, but they have to leave them at the cop shop when they are off duty. The only people who can have guns legally at home are farmers etc and people who have spent a shitload on licences and safety courses.
Yeah i was going to say, there was a big article about Aussie police and guns on BBC a few days ago. I heard that they rarely ever have to use them (outsude of the firing range), then 2 cops were killed in a shootout because they carrry .38 Revolvers rather then autos. Are there plans to replace the .38's with Glocks or Berettas or someother kind of automatic handgun?