Rigged Missiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigged Missiles?

I have encountered several rumors and claims at several places on the net that, the manufacturers of advanced weapons systems such as missiles and planes place secret self destruct or deactivation means on their products. (Not exploding exocets as an example). While IMO this makes sense at a political-strategic level is it technically possible to deceive the buyers? Or is there any instance of someone knowingly buying such technology accepting its constraints.

Im no expert but I don't buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by TTL View Post
      I have encountered several rumors and claims at several places on the net that, the manufacturers of advanced weapons systems such as missiles and planes place secret self destruct or deactivation means on their products. (Not exploding exocets as an example). While IMO this makes sense at a political-strategic level is it technically possible to deceive the buyers? Or is there any instance of someone knowingly buying such technology accepting its constraints.
      I would buy that in the case of some missle manufactures that work closely with the government as far as a self destruct in some cases (more then likely not sold outside their host country). In some cases a missle cannot be recalled so therefore a fail safe mechanism may be employed but not always and certainly not guaranteed.

As far as planes go. I know military jets carry something simular to destroy valuable data sources and circuitry if the plane crashes or the pilot must eject. These only serve to protect the value of the technology employed onboard.

But I have never heard of a "doomsday" button that would incinirate the aircraft be it military or commercial thus far. Perhaps if there are any Pilots;) on the WAB they may know much more about these features but may not want to disclose that info.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Virtually all modern missiles (at least western systems) have destruct sequences and IFF safeties. It's no secret to a legitimate buyer.

Though these protections sometimes fail (as in the case of Patriot shooting down a friendly AC due to IFF problems), you don't want a missile to hit an unintended target or be used against a friendly on accident (or if it falls into the wrong hands). Even MANPADS have built-in IFF systems.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

For those that dont know. IFF equates to Identify Friend or Foe signature system.

Comment

Just to back up what folk here are saying, I think that the RN SEA DART SAM destroys itself under certain circumstances.

TTL, there have been rumours around that during the Falklands war, Maggie asked Mitterand for the "secret codes" that could disable Exocet, she threatened to Nuke` Buenos Ares if she didn`t get them....Yes, I know!!!

I can certainly see the UK MoD asking Aerospatiale how best to defeat it though, even though the RN had Exocet anyway and would almost certainly have known how best to disrupt it. Chaff worked wonders, as long as you saw the missile coming.
            "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

I do not think any self destruct mechanism is to deceive the buyers of the technology but to protect against wrongful use of a weapon. Self destructs have been around for a long time.

Comment

Thanks a lot these were quite informative and helpful :D

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
                  Just to back up what folk here are saying, I think that the RN SEA DART SAM destroys itself under certain circumstances.

TTL, there have been rumours around that during the Falklands war, Maggie asked Mitterand for the "secret codes" that could disable Exocet, she threatened to Nuke` Buenos Ares if she didn`t get them....Yes, I know!!!

I can certainly see the UK MoD asking Aerospatiale how best to defeat it though, even though the RN had Exocet anyway and would almost certainly have known how best to disrupt it. Chaff worked wonders, as long as you saw the missile coming.
                  IMO, Naval wise I think the Arge's wind was taken out of their sails when HMS Conquerer sank General Belgrano (ex USS Phoenix). It pretty much sumed up Maggies desires that she was going to win without question even know it became a fiasco politically. However the smartest thing she did was let the man on the scene make the call to sink her.

Comment

Working...
                  X