Napoleonic Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleonic Battle

Ok, so I have to make a diorama for a Napoleonic battle (Any suggestions here? Waterloo seems a bit common. I was thinking maybe Austerlitz.) and I was wondering if there are any suggestions for mass quantities of maybe 1/72 scale Napoleonic War soldiers that are pre-painted? I have a deadline in 4 weeks, so I don't really have time to delicately paint dozens and dozens of dozens (I'll only be doing a section of the battle. Not the entire thing.) of soldiers in appropriate color schemes. On top of that, does anyone know how to create puffs of smoke for the muskets. I've seen it done with cotton balls that have been stretched and pulled into small pieces, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the best idea. It looked good, then again it was a professional diorama. Thanks all.

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
    Ok, so I have to make a diorama for a Napoleonic battle (Any suggestions here? Waterloo seems a bit common. I was thinking maybe Austerlitz.) and I was wondering if there are any suggestions for mass quantities of maybe 1/72 scale Napoleonic War soldiers that are pre-painted? I have a deadline in 4 weeks, so I don't really have time to delicately paint dozens and dozens of dozens (I'll only be doing a section of the battle. Not the entire thing.) of soldiers in appropriate color schemes. On top of that, does anyone know how to create puffs of smoke for the muskets. I've seen it done with cotton balls that have been stretched and pulled into small pieces, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the best idea. It looked good, then again it was a professional diorama. Thanks all.
    Does Napoleon have to be in it? If not, it would be really cool to see a Badajoz... but it would be a lot of work though.

Comment

It doesn't have to have Napoleon in it. Interesting, I might consider doing that. It just has to be a battle in the Napoleonic Wars. The only problem with Badajoz is that the fort takes a rather long time to do. What I may do is spend most time on the fort, and not actually paint the actual soldiers (I guess I could do a quick paint over, blue being french, red being British/Portuguese troops?) since I'm on a deadline. I can go back after I get it back and repaint it in detail.

I've looked at the layout of the fort, and it seems somewhat of a stretch, but I may be able to do it. Does anyone have pictures or paintings of the actual fort though? That'd help a lot...

Comment

Could you just do a little scene showing the storming of a small part of the fort?

Comment

If you want to avoid the fort how about Salamanca instead?
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

[QUOTE=ace16807;479783] What I may do is spend most time on the fort, and not actually paint the actual soldiers (I guess I could do a quick paint over, blue being french, red being British/Portuguese troops?) since I'm on a deadline. I can go back after I get it back and repaint it in detail. QUOTE]

Don't forget the German and Spanish Troops;) Type in Battle of Badajoz into your seach engine and it will come up with plans and drawings of the Fort..good luck:)

Comment

I've settled on Badajoz. I've got to carry this in, so the entire thing will be 26x26 inches, which is 1/72 scale of a .03 square mile block of the St. Maria Breach. Sadly, the wikipedia charts of the fort and the actual sattalite image of the fort present day don't match very well, especially at St. Maria.I had to approximate the location on Google Earth, take measurements of the area, and wall length, and gauge the wall height based off pictures... I'm probably off a bit on this, but on a 1/72 scale creation, I figure the walls need to be 5 inches tall and 4 inches wide.

Yeah. I know there were Portuguese troops as well (Where did you find there were Germans?), but this particular sector was being hit by the Light Division, which was primarily British (there probably were some Portuguese in it though.) The light division was known for wearing dark green uniforms, so I'll have to look those up and see what exactly they look like.

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
                Yeah. I know there were Portuguese troops as well (Where did you find there were Germans?), but this particular sector was being hit by the Light Division, which was primarily British (there probably were some Portuguese in it though.) The light division was known for wearing dark green uniforms, so I'll have to look those up and see what exactly they look like.
                Battle of Badajoz 1812 After Lord Wellington had laid siege to Cuidad Rodrigo in January 1812, he moved his forces south to attack the stronghold of Badajoz. The garrison at Badajoz was strongly defended by French troops supported by German and loyal Spanish. The Duke of Wellington laid siege to the fortress form 17th March to 6th April,
                Hope this helps and not hinders.

Comment

Working...
                X