Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would the world be like if the South had won the Civil War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would the world be like if the South had won the Civil War?

I notice there are a lot of "what if?" threads on this board and I also notice a great deal of interest and knowledge about the American Civil War. My hypothetical question after watching "The Confederate States of America" on my cable channel this weekend is not so much if the South could have won the Civil War, but what the world of the 21st century would be like if the Rebellion was successful? What would the political landscape of North America be like? And also what would the effects be on the rest of the world, especially Europe, but also Africa, Asia, and South America?

Best Case Scenario: North America would now be more like today's South America; there would still be the obvious potential, but not the same level of utilization. Worst Case Scenario: North America will be like South America, and both will be like Africa; there would be still be potential, but it would be drained off by those stronger and better organized from the Old World.

Comment

Best case: the South would be free of Yankees.

Comment

America would become weakened and industry would suffer badly.
        Would the British or other powers might be tempted to grab some real estate?
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Several years ago, one of our more popular weekly magazines (LOOK or COLLIERS or POST) ran a short series of articles speculating on that.

They theorized that the Confederate States would have given Statehood to Cuba as well as a couple of other Caribbean islands. As the 19th century came to a close and assuming the USS Maine blew up in Havana Harbor, we probably would not have had a war with Spain unless there was stronger evidence to show that Spanish saboteurs actually did it.

However, when the First World War came around, both the Northern United States and the Southern Confederate States would have sent separate divisions to Europe, fighting together as just plain "Americans".

World War II would have furthered the need for joining forces of mass production of weapons, vehicles, ships, aircraft, Naval Shipyards/Ports and enlistment of Army, Navy, Air Corps, Coast Guard and Marines.

In order to coordinate such logistics, both Congresses would have recommended joining countries as One Nation, Indivisible, Under God ----.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Read Harry Turtledove and find out.
            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
              Several years ago, one of our more popular weekly magazines (LOOK or COLLIERS or POST) ran a short series of articles speculating on that.

They theorized that the Confederate States would have given Statehood to Cuba as well as a couple of other Caribbean islands. As the 19th century came to a close and assuming the USS Maine blew up in Havana Harbor, we probably would not have had a war with Spain unless there was stronger evidence to show that Spanish saboteurs actually did it.

However, when the First World War came around, both the Northern United States and the Southern Confederate States would have sent separate divisions to Europe, fighting together as just plain "Americans".

World War II would have furthered the need for joining forces of mass production of weapons, vehicles, ships, aircraft, Naval Shipyards/Ports and enlistment of Army, Navy, Air Corps, Coast Guard and Marines.

In order to coordinate such logistics, both Congresses would have recommended joining countries as One Nation, Indivisible, Under God ----.
              Very Harry Turtledove explanation right here.
              [Wasting Space]

Comment

trajan,

actually, in his books, the exact opposite thing happened.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                X