Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here interested in playing a game of Diplomacy online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here interested in playing a game of Diplomacy online?

I really like the boardgame Diplomacy, and I really like the posters on this Board. What better way to have a little fun together than to play an online game amongst ourselves?

Anybody that wishes to play may sign up here, and please state which countries you'd like to play, first and second choices.

I have no preference, and I'll either work it out with others that have no preference after we get our seven players, and evrybody else has made their choices.

SO...who's in?

Count me in. As to what country, hmmmm....I would like to have something challenging like North Korea or Iran. But, if not possible, just give me what ya got and surprise me.

Comment

Don't know the game but would be fun. Can anyone give me a quick briefing?

Comment

I am not known to be Diplomatic.

Maybe this would help.

Rules and how to play?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
          Count me in. As to what country, hmmmm....I would like to have something challenging like North Korea or Iran. But, if not possible, just give me what ya got and surprise me.
          Ah...obviously a Diplo-newbie. :)

Go here for the basics on the Greatest Boardgame Ever Created.

We need seven players to take the parts of Germany, Italy, Turkey, Russia, England, France or Austria, and the game starts in Spring, 1901. Each turn is a half-year (Spring or Fall).

No dice, no cards, no luck AT ALL...just cunning.

Comment

And The Diplomatic Pouch is the greatest source for all things Diplomacy. It's huge, and there is a ton of info there, but DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED by it, or overwhelmed. Y'all are newbies, and we can start with a basic game, no pressure, just a bit of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
              Ah...obviously a Diplo-newbie. :)

Go here for the basics on the Greatest Boardgame Ever Created.

We need seven players to take the parts of Germany, Italy, Turkey, Russia, England, France or Austria, and the game starts in Spring, 1901. Each turn is a half-year (Spring or Fall).

No dice, no cards, no luck AT ALL...just cunning.
              Ha-ha, I read the link, and I would rather play the tutorial a little for the newbies like me before going against you military men (Ray, OoE, Bluesman, etc.). Yall would surely take me out first For now, I'll step back as a sub, if you don't get your seven players.

Bluesman -- wife's away, you're bored, and breaking out the game boards, heh?

Comment

Ha-ha, I read the link, and I would rather play the tutorial a little for the newbies like me before going against you military men (Ray, OoE, Bluesman, etc.). Yall would surely take me out first For now, I'll step back as a sub, if you don't get your seven players.

Bluesman -- wife's away, you're bored, and breaking out the game boards, heh?
                Nah, she doesn't leave until next month. But I always have time for Diplomacy . Because it's that cool.

And don't you worry about being out-classed, hunny. All you need is a bit of salesmanship and some fangs...and I've seen you got BOTH. ;)

Comment

I found it rather complicated and so you will win Julie.

A fresh mind is always better than a regimented mind. ;)
                  Last edited by Ray; 20 Jan 05,, 20:08.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                    I found it rather complicated and so you will win Julie.

A fresh mind is always better than a regimented mind.
                    No Sir, don't think so. I read those strategies today, and tried not to be intimidated like Bluesman said, but, didn't work. My brain is too old to absorb and retain that much strategy.

The diplomacy I can handle, the backstabbing....I don't think I could do. :)

Comment

The diplomacy I can handle, the backstabbing....I don't think I could do. :)
                      That I could handle. ;)
                      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

sorry dude, but i'll be there if you get the time for Age of Empires II someday.....
                        May be i'll post a new thread about it...
                        Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Ill play sounds very interesting may i be Italy thanks mate.

Comment

Commando: Italy
                            Officer of Engineers: No preference
                            Ray: No preference
                            Julie: Possible player, no preference
                            Bluesman: Austria (toughest country for a noob, so I'll take it)

Need some more players, so step up, y'all.

One word of caution, though: COMMITMENT. This game moves somewhat slowly, about one turn every five days, SLOWER if we all agree we need to, and that means the game will take about six months to play out. Some of us will be succesful, and will maintain interest, some of us will be taking our knocks, and it may not generate that much enthusiasm as the beginning of the game. But you should stick with it, anyway, because leaving the game causes all kinds of anomalies for everybody else.

Besides, playing the Small Time has a kind of...charm to it. Selling your orders to the highest bidder, playing The Spoiler, etc.

Bottom line: this is a Really Fun Game, it lets us get to know each other, have some fun...and in a small way, it teaches you A LOT about the way the world works and how the Great Powers approach problems.

SIgn up, folks. If you do, you'll be glad you did. If you don't, you'll wish you had.

Comment

Sigh.

Okay, can't generate enough interest...

We'll try it again some other time.

Comment

Working...
                              X