want to buy m-1 garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to buy m-1 garand

i am looking forward to buying my first garand, and i would like to know some things to look for. my reason for buying this particular weapon will be obvious to some of the more informed people on this site. i want to own the rifle that, in my opinion, saved the world in ww2. i make it a point to visit the various military cemataries around the world, ie normandy and battle of the marne are my two latest visits(everyone who loves their country should see these). i know that there are particular serial numbers for the war years, but further than that i dont really know what to look for to insure a historically accurate weapon. is there any way to find out if it was used in actual battle? what about matching the serial numbers? does the cndition of the stock of one used in battle matter as far as if it is original finish or refinished? i think it would be neat to have one with actual battle scars on it, but i dont know if that affects the value. i am not concerned about resale, i want authenticity to pass down to the next generation. it will be fired very infrequently. i want it to be the centerpiece of my ww2 collections. hope i havent rambled, but i have lots of questions. thanx

Have you checked out the CMP program?

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it might interest you. Various versions/grades available, and they have auctions for the most sought after versions.
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
    X