Stop Loss the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Loss the movie

I saw "Stop Loss" today. In the movie Sgt King finishes his tour in Iraq only to find out he's being sent back for another tour in a month's time. He also has trouble dealing with casualties he feels responsible for.

I found the movie heart wrenching at times and some things hit close to home. It made me recall how incredibly difficult it was for me to go back to fight a particularly brutal war I didn't believe in, in which there was a mathematical certainty I would become a casualty. I arbitrarily "extended" my leave and my CO had to make a large withdrawal from the FavorBank in order to keep me out of the stockade.
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Returned to Iraq in a month's time? I'm pretty sure even guys who are still active are mandated to get a break of at least half a year after being back from deployment, or something like that.
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Nothing changes, they always have and always will ask more and more of the serviceman. in 1974 (Dave, Tankie, Bob) you were there to, after 18 months of active service in rural /border areas of Northern Ireland, our sunshine post of 18 months was changed courtesy of the Turkish government, as they decided to invade Cyprus, our tour in NI finished we were given 2 weeks leave, then off to Cyprus on a reduced tour of 6 months operational......a grand total of 2 years on active service.......plus we watched Farmagusta get flattened courtesy of the Turkish airforce which was the best R& R spot on the Island, .......we were not happy campers
      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

I never deployed but did work the deployment line when I was at the Pentagon. The feelings that came over me when I was checking the emergency cards to make sure they had all their information up-to-date and making sure their dog tags had the proper information on them was heart wrenching. I processed "kids" as young as 18 that were heading out for Desert Storm. And there were some that I was processing for the second time.

On the way home, listening to the radio, the song "From A Distance" http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Bet...-Distance.html by Bette Midler came on and I started bawling! I had to pull over on the shoulder because I couldn't drive. I guess I could have changed the station.

When I first read your post Sappersgt, a chill came over me. I was a TSgt in the AF...last name King!
        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
        "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X