Question to My Friends in the North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to My Friends in the North

This is a serious question that I was pondering and asked a real, live Canadian but not gotten a real answer. What would an African-American in Canada call himself? African-Canadian? This is a serious question and do not mean it in any derogitory manner.

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
    This is a serious question that I was pondering and asked a real, live Canadian but not gotten a real answer. What would an African-American in Canada call himself? African-Canadian? This is a serious question and do not mean it in any derogitory manner.
    Nothing wrong in that Question. Hopefully the answer would be American. If I moved to France I wouldn't call myself French. But, at the end of the day if he wanted to call himself African -Canadian then so be it.

Comment

This reminds me of something my friend said. He was watching some news show and the reporter/anchor used the term "African-American" when he was refering to black Europeans.

I'm waiting for one of these airhead reporters to refer to Africans as "African-Americans."

Back to James' question, I think all nation/culture/ethnic groups use the terms "blacks" when they refer to black Africans who are not in Africa. Except here in America, of course.
      Last edited by gunnut; 29 Mar 08,, 03:33.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I wondered whether American political correctness had made it through the membrane of our northern border.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          This reminds me of something my friend said. He was watching some news show and the reporter/anchor used the term "African-American" when he was refering to black Europeans.

I'm waiting for one of these airhead reporters to refer to Africans as "African-Americans."

Back to James' question, I think all nation/culture/ethnic groups use the terms "blacks" when they refer to black Africans who are not in Africa. Except here in America, of course.
          Africans from Ireland tend to casually call themselves Afrish, or African Irish.

Same with Chinese, who call themselves Chirish, or Asian Irish - they're affectionate terms, I've never called or heard an Irish person of foreign extraction be called 'African' or 'Chinese', though naturally our media does (primarily because 'A Chirish man has opened a new chain of resteraunts' just wouldn't have journalistic quality, ya know?).

Chirish and Afrish people are very well liked, my local Pub owner is Chinese, but he's from down the road in Ballinacollaig and his name's Sean :))!

They're Irish to the bone!
          Last edited by crooks; 29 Mar 08,, 21:37.
          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

I refer to black people as "black". I have a friend (black) who came to the US from Zaire when he was 3 years old. I don't refer to him as "African American". I describe him as American and black. I gave up my SA passport when I came back to the US, I guess would that make me an "African American"? By that measure, my wife, children and in laws who all were born in Africa and are US citizens would also be considered "African Americans".
            Last edited by sappersgt; 29 Mar 08,, 21:53.
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
              I refer to black people as "black". I have a friend (black) who came to the US from Zaire when he was 3 years old. I don't refer to him as "African American". I describe him as American and black. I gave up my SA passport when I came back to the US, I guess would that make me an "African American"? By that measure, my wife, children and in laws who all were born in Africa and are US citizens would also be considered "African Americans".
              Aren't labels fun? Doesn't make them right though.
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                Aren't labels fun? Doesn't make them right though.
                Very true - to quote yerself, 'Well done that man there' ;) :)) !
                Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Working...
                X