Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China hits back at US on rights

China hits back at US on rights

A demonstrator is detained by police outside the 13th Shanghai Municipal People Congress in Shanghai (24 January 2008)

The US said China had not undertaken democratic reform
    China has accused the US of double standards over human rights in response to an official US report which labelled Beijing an authoritarian regime.

Beijing calls Washington's rights record "tattered and shocking".

The Chinese report cites rising violent crime in the US as posing a serious threat to the lives, liberty and personal security of its people.

The foreign ministry said the US should stop posing as a rights watchdog and concentrate on its own problems.

"Stop exercising double standards on human rights issues and wrongly meddling in the internal affairs of other countries," said ministry spokesman Qin Gang.

He added that China's achievements on human rights had been "widely recognised by the international community".

The Chinese report accuses the US of arrogance and is particuarly scathing about the Iraq conflict.

"The invasion of Iraq by US troops has produced the biggest human rights tragedy and the greatest humanitarian disaster in modern world," the document said.

Beijing's report, gathered from US and international news sources, quotes crime statistics and cites particular incidents such as the Virginia Tech massacre to back up its claims.

The report comes in response to the US State Department's annual survey of human rights across the world.

Although the report accuses China of denying its people basic freedoms, the country is not listed as one of the world's most systematic rights violators.
    BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | China hits back at US on rights
    It is an interesting statement that the ''international community'' finds China's human rights values laudable and recognisable!

US' rising violence is a human rights violation!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Do the Chinese have a different concept when it comes to human rights?

Comment

Ha ha, can not even stop laughing on this one.

China has finally done it.

This is now hardcore school boy game "lets throw the blame around".

Comment

All that pollution is affecting their thinking process obviously. I especially like the comment referring to the World recognizing China's achievements on human rights. Can anyone from China out there support this stupid statement with a straight face and clear conscience without resorting to stupid-speak.

Comment

"The Chinese report cites rising violent crime in the US as posing a serious threat to the lives, liberty and personal security of its people."

Tis funny. Basically China is attacking the US Government for not having more control over its civilians! "Look, your people are free to run around and do both right and wrong things, vely tellible MR USA!"
          LOL

Talk about, "Duh no shiite Sherlock, our people are mostly free to make there own choices"

Comment

"The Chinese report cites rising violent crime in the US as posing a serious threat to the lives, liberty and personal security of its people."

Let's take the Chinese example of ensuring 'personal security of its people' by driving tanks over them!!

Comment

adux, exacecr,

in a nutshell, yes, the chinese have a different conception of human rights. traditionally in the west, human rights are linked to political and civil rights.

for china and many other industrializing third world nations, human rights are linked to economic growth. as an example, the chinese peasant can finally afford a refrigerator, TV, maybe even a motorcycle.

by now the chinese know what human rights means to the west, but they haven't lost belief in their own version of what human rights are. so they can very neatly say what they say while fully believing it, too.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Adux View Post
                Do the Chinese have a different concept when it comes to human rights?
                Or indeed the other "International Community" I noticed by their absence the other Countries leaping to China's defence on this statement.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  adux, exacecr,

in a nutshell, yes, the chinese have a different conception of human rights. traditionally in the west, human rights are linked to political and civil rights.

for china and many other industrializing third world nations, human rights are linked to economic growth. as an example, the chinese peasant can finally afford a refrigerator, TV, maybe even a motorcycle.

by now the chinese know what human rights means to the west, but they haven't lost belief in their own version of what human rights are. so they can very neatly say what they say while fully believing it, too.
                  The Orientals have the tradition to obey their seniors and elders.

It was there in India when I was in school, but with globalisation one realises individual rights over family and community.

I presume the Chinese still believe in obeying a superior authority and hence feel that their State pr the Government is the Big Brother, Father and Mother and Neighbourhood Aunt and Uncles who know what is best for them and so the concepts are different from the rest of the world.

I could be wrong.
                  Last edited by Ray; 27 Mar 08,, 11:26.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                    Or indeed the other "International Community" I noticed by their absence the other Countries leaping to China's defence on this statement.
                    Economics, just pure greed for money.
                    I am ashamed at my government and kudos to Nancy Pelosi atleast she has more balls than keepers of male fiefdom in India.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      The Orientals have the tradition to obey their seniors and elders.

It was there in India when I was in school, but with globalisation one realises individual rights over family and community.

I presume the Chinese still believe in obeying a superior authority and hence feel that their State pr the Government is the Big Brother, Father and Mother and Neighbourhood Aunt and Uncles who know what is best for them and so the concepts are different from the rest of the world.

I could be wrong.
                      No sir you are not wrong.

Chinese, be it Confuciousim or communism or whatever, still believe in the nation and the state can solve all their problems and provide prosperity.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        No sir you are not wrong.

Chinese, be it Confuciousim or communism or whatever, still believe in the nation and the state can solve all their problems and provide prosperity.
                        Over generalization.

Please provide evidence to back up your statements.

I took TOFEL and GRE to get RA (Research Assistant) from an American university. Now, I am working for an international company. I don’t believe in the nation and the state to solve my problem and provide me with prosperity. I pursue my prosperity by my hard working.

My brother started a small business in China and he hired dozen of workers. He doesn’t rely on Chinese government and he takes care of his employees with wage and benefits based on the Chinese new labor law. He created prosperity for himself and his workers.

We need the government to provide a stable and suitable environment for us to develop ourselves.

Although the largest companies in China are state owned, but private firms are powering the economy for the prosperity.

I provide my reference here to back up my comments and hope that you do the same thing.

Private firms powering the economy(09/22/06)

Chinese Labor Law Reform: Guaranteeing Worker Rights in the Age of Globalism - Worldpress.org

New labor regulations designed to protect China's workers are already having an impact, according to an American-based watchdog
                        Is China’s Labor Law Working? | Newsweek International | Newsweek.com
                        Last edited by Zeng; 29 Mar 08,, 09:38.
                        I am here for exchanging opinions.

Comment

i think chinese government has their reason to write this report to lash US government.

take Iraq for example, US government lie to the people that Saddam Hussein has mass destruction weapons in order to control this country. It abused the trust from US innocent people and caused nearly one millions Iraqi people died in the chaos.

Turely,when Iraqi lived in the period of Saddam hussein,they were ruled by the tyranny. Iraqi has no freedom but at least they could live well. At present, hundreds and hundreds people died day by day,which is caused by US government directly or indirectly.

just wonder why US government always believe their action is justicial???
                          It was when the Great Way declined,that human kindness and morality arose.
                          It was when intelligence and knowledge appeared,that the Great Artifice began.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeng_xinren View Post
                            Over generalization.

Please provide evidence to back up your statements.

I took TOFEL and GRE to get RA (Research Assistant) from an American university. Now, I am working for an international company. I don’t believe in the nation and the state to solve my problem and provide me with prosperity. I pursue my prosperity by my hard working.

My brother started a small business in China and he hired dozen of workers. He doesn’t rely on Chinese government and he takes care of his employees with wage and benefits based on the Chinese new labor law. He created prosperity for himself and his workers.

We need the government to provide a stable and suitable environment for us to develop ourselves.

Although the largest companies in China are state owned, but private firms are powering the economy for the prosperity.

I provide my reference here to back up my comments and hope that you do the same thing.

Private firms powering the economy(09/22/06)

Chinese Labor Law Reform: Guaranteeing Worker Rights in the Age of Globalism - Worldpress.org

New labor regulations designed to protect China's workers are already having an impact, according to an American-based watchdog
                            Is China’s Labor Law Working? | Newsweek International | Newsweek.com
                            Of course I'm generalizing. There's no way all Chinese are like you. Just like most Americans feel the government is the problem, not the solution. However, there's that significant minority that feels differently.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Just wonder why US government always believe their action is justicial???
                              Could it be because the US is a bit "overenthusiastic" about democracy and their way of life because it has a govt (governing apparatus) that is "of the people, by the people and for the people"!

The most important is BY the people i.e. the people decide how things should be done. The govt is merely a tool of the people!

And it is not the other way around where the people are the tool of the govt.

Great difference, if you ask me! ;)
                              Last edited by Ray; 30 Mar 08,, 10:10.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X