PDA

View Full Version : Robbed of great music . . .

Shek
25 Mar 08,, 19:12
I'm listening to Blind Melon on my iTunes and was wondering:

What overdose in the music world most deprived us of great songs that were then left unwritten?

While Blind Melon wouldn't be my candidate, I'm not sure who I'd pick. Your thoughts?

BD1
25 Mar 08,, 19:40
Hendrix

Shamus
25 Mar 08,, 20:10
While not an overdose victim,Stevie Ray Vaughn

Parihaka
25 Mar 08,, 20:34
Mozart. Hendrix (though shock horror I'm not a fan). Cobain. I'm sure more will come to mind

glyn
25 Mar 08,, 20:36
It is a 'what if' question really, which cannot be answered. We should rejoice for the music that has been written. Where would we be without the greats like Beethoven, Mozart, Grieg, Wagner, Purcell, Chopin et al? Their works have, and will, be played and enjoyed for centuries to come.:)

malory
25 Mar 08,, 21:18
Also not overdoses, but two tragic deaths: Jeff Buckley and Nick Drake.

Lunatock
25 Mar 08,, 21:26
Jimmy Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Brad Noele, and despite being murdered in cold blood on stage, Dimebag Darrel Abbot.

Southie
25 Mar 08,, 21:38
John Lennon and Selena.

Lunatock
25 Mar 08,, 21:47
Sid Vicious and Jim Morrison.

Shipwreck
25 Mar 08,, 22:51
Drug-related / OD : Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Jimi Hendrix, Paul Gonsalves, Richard Twardzik.

FibrillatorD
26 Mar 08,, 00:09
Tonight's the Night was Neil Young's response to the heroin overdose deaths of Bruce Berry and Danny Whitten. So I guess you could say heroin did us all a big favor in this case, as people will be listening to it too forever.

Gun Grape
26 Mar 08,, 02:36
Tonight's the Night was Neil Young's response to the heroin overdose deaths of Bruce Berry and Danny Whitten. So I guess you could say heroin did us all a big favor in this case, as people will be listening to it too forever.

One of my favorite Neil Young tracks is off the Harvest Album. Needle and the damage done. About Whittens heroin abuse, written before he died.

S2
26 Mar 08,, 03:36
Thought about it.

Jimi's the loss. Everything from ELECTRIC LADYLAND and his last album, CRY OF LOVE, hint that he was heading in a decidedly groovy jazz-rock-funk space.

All the raging speculation was that Miles and him would be hooking up. Given where Miles was ((B)ITCHES BREW, ON THE CORNER, LIVE/EVIL) we can only guess what might have been as both may well have been at their creative peaks. Miles', of course, happened to be in the towards the end of about thirty years of creative peaks (and dope)- but that's a different story.

The thread was dope and music. I considered both Morrison and Duane Allman. Rumor is that Duane had chewed some good red acid before piling his Harley at an intersection in Macon. Allman was certainly at his creative peak and didn't need more than a simple melody to create (see "Once There Was A Mountain (Jam)). Still Betts and Gregg did more writing, and there was where the potential lay for Hendrix (especially had he teamed w/ Davis).

Both Billie Holiday and Judy Garland seem so ravaged by the time of their deaths that I have a hard time imagining that we missed their best. To that end, I'm sure that I'm not doing some poor soul justice.