Parade Entrants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parade Entrants

I will be attending a meeting with the Veterans Day Parade committee. We have a Parade on or about Veterans Day in November down Atlantic Avenue in North Long Beach. We have been doing this for several years now and have had many varied entrants including Mexican prancer horses, re-enactors in various uniforms (including WW I and WW II German), Cavalry units of various countries (the WW II German cavalry"man" was actually a pretty girl using the helmet to hide her hair).

We had a problem last year in that a Gay Pride group wanted to be part of our parade but we kept them out with the excuse that they only suddenly showed up and did not apply to be a unit.

This year we are being "asked" to include an Anti-War unit in the parade made up mostly of people protesting the war in Iraq.

Any ideas on this?
    Gay Pride: Yes
    0.00%
    Gay Pride; No
    50.00%
    Anti-War: Yes
    0.00%
    Anti-War: No
    50.00%
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Anti-War parade entrants.

Oops. First time I tried to set up a poll. Delete the last two and look for another thread.

Sorry about that. But I'm having trouble setting up a new post. Webmaster: HELP.
    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 25 Mar 08,, 00:51.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Besides the initial mistrust of "not believeing" they will not disrupt the parade, unless they are willing to sign a document stating they will honour the ones who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and give thanks to the ones who are currently fighting to ensure they "can have an opinion" and not in anyway disrupt the parade....then I would say no they cannot join the parade.......If they will sign said socument then welcome to the parade.
      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

This is an easy one Rusty. Its a veterans parade, correct? If a gay vet wants to show up I would suggest that he/she. want to celebrate and honor vets and not his/her sexual preference. As for anti-war vets, that makes no sense to me thats wierder to me than being gay. I have an annual get together here in my town where I invite any and all vets. I've never had to adress this problem. The way I see it though, is here in America, Majority rules. If the majority does not stand up for itself it cannot rule. If they can't understand that the point of the day is to honor vets, then they should be denied. To participate in a parade is not a right given in the constitution. Suggest that they go have a parade on thier own if they don't like it, but don't let them ruin yours. I might suggest you contact your local patriot guard @ patriotguard.org. They are very good at lending support for things like this.

Comment

I would guess both groups want to politicise the event, which is after all to honour veterans, not make a political statement.
          If they want a political rally, they can organise their own, if they want to participate as veterans then nobody's stopping them from parading with their units. If they aren't vets, it's not their right to parade.
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
          X