Eye surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye surgery

Well ladies and gents, I went ahead and had custom PRK due to my wish to serve in military. It would have been quicker to heal if had gotten LASIK, but it turns out that it is not as safe for duty or for any contact sports. So now I'm dealing with the longer recovery time (up to 3 months for full vision improvement and to stop using all these drops of various types.

Well, fairly good news so far. The eye that I had done nearly a month ago is seeing 20/25 and still getting better, and that's a whole bunch better than the 20/100 I went in with. I was getting some halos and slight double vision at first, and it was supposed to last up to 3 months, but has pretty much subsided now.

So to anyone interested in having some similar procedure, fire away with the question, so far I'm thinking this is one of the smarter decisions I've made.
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Wish you a speedy recovery.

I have some questions with these LASIK things. It seems like a good idea for me since I have poor eye sight, 20/600 at last count. That was more than a decade ago. The bad news is my eyes have worsened. The good news is they haven't changed for the last 4 years or so.

Did you say LASIK is not good for contact sports? I play hockey. It's a non-checking league but there's still a lot of contact with both the walls and other players. I have teammates who have done LASIK. Should they have done something else?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Wish you a speedy recovery.

I have some questions with these LASIK things. It seems like a good idea for me since I have poor eye sight, 20/600 at last count. That was more than a decade ago. The bad news is my eyes have worsened. The good news is they haven't changed for the last 4 years or so.
      Wow bud, that's pretty terrible vision, and I thought I had a tough time getting around. I appreciate your well wishes.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Did you say LASIK is not good for contact sports? I play hockey. It's a non-checking league but there's still a lot of contact with both the walls and other players. I have teammates who have done LASIK. Should they have done something else?
      Not necesarilly, if it is working out for them. What LASIK does is create a flap and then do work underneath said flap in reshaping the cornea, and then puts the flap back to heal. The problem is that the flap only heals to a certain extent. Years later, doctors can still go back and just lift the flap right up. The analogy I think of is a closed door with no lock. It might not always be flapping open, but there is a chance someone turns the knob. A good hit in football, or a good check in hockey, might be able to unseat the flap of corneal epithelium.

What I was worried about was more specific. In the military I'm going to have to go through unarmed combat training, and in later life I plan on continuing doing martial arts and boxing. It can be done with LASIK, but it is not recommended. And it's not like I plan on letting myself get punched straight in the eye, but its bound to happen. The distinction here is, I suppose, that some contact sports have more contact with your eyes than others.
      The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Stan:
        20/25 is not bad at all. Especially if you're a fighter pilot or test pilot. That was Chuck Yeager's vision and he said it saved his butt in WW II because he could always see the enemy fighter group before they saw his.

Also as he fired his .50 caliber machineguns from an F-86 Saber on a test firing over the desert, he could see the vortexes in the air and was faster on correcting windage and elevation.

By the way, my wife is having cataract surgery next month. Total lens replacement.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Wish good recovery to you , Stan and Rusty , same to your wife too.

But the words ´eye´ and ´surgery´ make me shiver . I have a slight phobia on his subject .
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by braindead View Post
            Wish good recovery to you , Stan and Rusty , same to your wife too.

But the words ´eye´ and ´surgery´ make me shiver . I have a slight phobia on his subject .
            Don't even get me started man. They scrub the top layer off your eye with what feels like steel wool! Luckily, you mostly just sit there and do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
              Stan:
              20/25 is not bad at all. Especially if you're a fighter pilot or test pilot. That was Chuck Yeager's vision and he said it saved his butt in WW II because he could always see the enemy fighter group before they saw his.

Also as he fired his .50 caliber machineguns from an F-86 Saber on a test firing over the desert, he could see the vortexes in the air and was faster on correcting windage and elevation.

By the way, my wife is having cataract surgery next month. Total lens replacement.
              Good luck to your wife Rusty, my grandma had that, and it helped her out quite a bit. Tell her not to get discouraged by the recovery period.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                Don't even get me started man. They scrub the top layer off your eye with what feels like steel wool! Luckily, you mostly just sit there and do nothing.
                Knocked out right? If not, I'll live with glasses. Been doing it for about 35 yrs now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                  Argh - ewwww - argh - ewwwwwww
                  Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    Knocked out right? If not, I'll live with glasses. Been doing it for about 35 yrs now.
                    Just numbing drops and some valuum to keep you calm.. so I guess it depends on what you call knocked out. Do trust that its amazing when you wake in the morning like a week later and realize that you see everything sharp without any help, its an amazing thing.

Comment

Stan did you have short or long sight?
                      I dont really know the measuring system you guys are using, here in india its usually in numbers for prescriptions, for example i have myopia with left -10.5 and right -9.5.
                      Does that method work for such high numbers?
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                        Stan did you have short or long sight?
                        I dont really know the measuring system you guys are using, here in india its usually in numbers for prescriptions, for example i have myopia with left -10.5 and right -9.5.
                        Does that method work for such high numbers?
                        That measuring system is also used in America depending upon how technical your optimitrist wants to be heard.

I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old and my myoptic eyes were up to a -5. If I lost my glasses in combat, I'd have to walk up to a blurry soldier and ask him which side he was on.

But as I have gotten older the eyes starting changing to a far sightedness so I'm only about a -3 now, BUT I have to wear bifocals.

People with perfect vision in their youth eventually become far sighted with age anyway. So a near sighted person actually "improves" a bit as he gets older.

My wife has worn glasses since she was 2 years old and was about a -7. Now her glasses are too strong, partly because her cataracts have changed the shape of the lens.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Good luck to the Mrs and a speedy recovery, Rusty.

I think we can have a competition of who has worse eyesight between the 2 of us. Without my glasses, I have to rely on voices to tell who those people are around me. All I see are just giant man or woman-shaped blurs.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Ok, those were my contact lense numbers (glasses are L-11 R-10), I used to wear glasses before, starting at around age 7. Switched to contacts when i turned 13. Loooove my lenses. Ratio of bullies to me drastically dropped after i could see enough to hit the right person.
                            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              That measuring system is also used in America depending upon how technical your optimitrist wants to be heard.

I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old and my myoptic eyes were up to a -5. If I lost my glasses in combat, I'd have to walk up to a blurry soldier and ask him which side he was on.

But as I have gotten older the eyes starting changing to a far sightedness so I'm only about a -3 now, BUT I have to wear bifocals.

People with perfect vision in their youth eventually become far sighted with age anyway. So a near sighted person actually "improves" a bit as he gets older.

My wife has worn glasses since she was 2 years old and was about a -7. Now her glasses are too strong, partly because her cataracts have changed the shape of the lens.
                              I think you might be onto something about getting farsighted with age. I started with -2 and now I'm at -1.25. I wear a contact in one eye only for nearsightedness . Now that I'm older I have to wear reading glasses if my contact is in (unless I take it out!).

Did you know if you try to purchase contacts online they will not let you order for one eye only, you must have a left and a right. So I order half the number of boxes I really need for the right and the other half for the left!
                              Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                              (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                              X