Bad Week to get surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Week to get surgery

A Minnesota surgeon has agreed to stop seeing patients after he made an "unthinkable" mistake — he removed a healthy kidney, leaving the cancerous one inside a patient, KARE 11 TV reports.

"This has been a tragic event and Park Nicollet has accepted full responsibility," said Dr. Samuel Carlson, chief medical officer for Park Nicollet Health Services.

Carlson declined to name the surgeon who performed the procedure.

Although the surgery was performed last Tuesday, it wasn’t until the next day that pathology reports confirmed the wrong kidney had been taken from the patient, whose identity is not being revealed due to patient confidentiality.

Carlson said standard protocols were followed in the Methodist Hospital operating room to prevent such an occurrence, but new safety protocols have been added. Surgeons now will have to double-check MRIs and CAT scans before starting surgeries, he told the TV station.

Carlson would not comment on the patient’s prognosis, age or gender.

The patient still was receiving care at Methodist Hospital, Carlson said.
    Dr Took Wrong Kidney

A German retiree is taking a hospital to court after she went in for a leg operation and got a new anus instead, the Daily Telegraph is reporting.

The woman woke up to find she had been mixed up with another patient suffering from incontinence who was to have surgery on her sphincter.

The clinic in Hochfranken, Bavaria, has since suspended the surgical team.

Now the woman is planning to sue the hospital. She still needs the leg operation and is searching for another hospital to do it.
    Women Gets a new kidney
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

she went in for a leg operation and got a new anus instead
    some mix-up
    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Almost unbelievable!
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

"Hochfranken" (High Franconia) in Bavaria is not a town, and formally the name does not even exist. There is a region consisting of several towns which try to get the name used for their regions for marketing reason. Though its kinda understandable, cause the actual term sound in English something like Nord-East-Middle-Upper-Franconia.

Ah and "a new anus" does not mean that she now has a second hole in her butt, it means that there is now an opening on her side of her belly, where a small bag is attached to collect the "garbage"

Comment

The kidney snafu - the chart was wrong and no one bothered to correct it according to local news
          Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

I swear if I ever have to have a doc cut me open I'm doing the "CUT HERE -->" magic marker deal. Yeah, the docs might be insulted, but I'd prefer that to losing a vital organ or two.

-dale

Comment

I had surgery all scheduled for carpal tunnel syndrome, then the Colonel I worked for asked if I had been tested for CTS. I never recalled being tested. He performed the test and determined that I didn't have CTS. He reemed the doctor out for not performing the proper tests prior to scheduling surgery. I was very lucky to work for a doctor in charge of the surgery ward!

It's amazing the number of surgeries performed on people removing the wrong limb, etc.

There was a guy here in Tampa, Willie King, that had the wrong leg amputated back in 1995.
              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
              sigpic

Comment

"Surgeons now will have to double-check MRIs and CAT scans before starting"

Aren't they already required to double and triple check those?

As far as what Dale said, my friend is a nurse, and she tells me that you have to intial whatever they are going to cut prior to surgery, so it would be hard to amputate the wrong leg or cut the wrong side. I suppose it can still happen in ER for people who come in unconscious, but if they're knocked out that bad, chances are it is a bit more obvious which body parts are in bad shape and good shape.
                In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Working...
                X