Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Truck

Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking about buying a new pick-up truck. Looking at the Chevy Silverado (or the GMC Sierra, same truck, not sure which front end I prefer) in 4x4 crew cab model or the Dodge quad cab 4x4. Anyone have anything good/bad to say about these trucks?

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking about buying a new pick-up truck. Looking at the Chevy Silverado (or the GMC Sierra, same truck, not sure which front end I prefer) in 4x4 crew cab model or the Dodge quad cab 4x4. Anyone have anything good/bad to say about these trucks?
    Yes. They are gas guzzlers. Don't you care about the planet? Global warming? You will need to plant acres of trees just to offset your carbon emission.

I think you should go with a Toyota Yaris or Scion xD or Honda Fit.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

What about if I buy a truck that burns E85 ethanol, would that be alright with you gun?

Comment

What about if I buy a truck that burns E85 ethanol, would that be alright with you gun?
        Yes it would. It's a great idea to decrease our dependence on foreign oil by converting food into a fuel that's less efficient than gasoline while generating massive pollution in the process. Screw the poor people in Mexico who rely on corn as their staple. We just want to feel good about ourselves not giving money to the mullahs.

I'm just being facetious.:))

Comment

I'm not being rude ('onest guv) but do you need a pick-up truck? I was staggered to see so many of them in the US and Canada. I thought they were supposed to be work vehicles but most of them seemed to be used for anything but.
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
            I'm not being rude ('onest guv) but do you need a pick-up truck? I was staggered to see so many of them in the US and Canada. I thought they were supposed to be work vehicles but most of them seemed to be used for anything but.
            I had the same thought in mind but a look at his profile warrants that he is probably an ideal candidate for buying a pick-up

Interests:
            hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, biking, sci-fi, heavy equipment, military equipment
            ;)
            When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

those are great trucks, very relable, and can take abuse.
              when i worked as a mechanik we didn,t have many of them come with problems, mostly maintanance.
              what you what to look for, is allison tranny, it is much stronger than gm hydromatic.
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Just to be serious, I know someone who lives in Washington State and he uses a Ford F-250 diesel for both work and play. He said it's the best damn truck ever. Takes biodiesel too if he can find some on the cheap.

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Good trucks. They are built about a half-mile up the street from where I live in Arlington, TX. As are the Escalades, Tahoes, etc.

Buy one, Keeps employment up in our little town!! They do have the Flex fuel option - this keeps the tree huggers happy too!!:))

Comment

Make sure that if you get a 4X4 that it has a LOW gear setting ALSO. Without hat low range you will NOT have cross-country capability. It's okay on an icy road when you are going slow. But for any heavy stuff (like pulling somebody else out of the snow) you NEED that low range.

The best truck I ever owned was a 1973 International Harvester 3/4 ton with the 345 V-8 and FOUR wheel drive. A REAL four wheel drive. Though it was an automatic transmission, I had to get out and lock the hubs on the front wheels. Had positraction already on the rear axle.

Even with hubs locked I could still drive rear axle only if I wanted to. In 4X4 high range I had excellent general off-road control and perfect control on icy streets up in the mountains. But with the Brownie Box I could put her in the low range and have pulled other trucks out of snow, mud and yanked out a few tree stumps as well.

As a matter of fact, I drove that truck over some rocky land in Oregon (I own it) that would have thrown a track on my M-41 tank.

This is why I won't buy a Dodge Nitro now because their 4X4 does not have a low range gearing to it.

I was having lots of rusting on the cab and hood (bed was always protected by a camper shell) and finally donated it to a charity run by a good friend of mine 3 years ago. Tears were welling up in my eyes as the flat bed driver was tightening up the chains. He asked, "You sure you want to give this away?"

Fortunately, the prospective new owner that was to buy it from the charity came over and checked it out a few weeks before. Outside of a dead battery the drive train was perfect.

I got a call from the mechanics of the charity and they asked, "Are you sure you want to give this away? It's perfect."

Last I heard, the new owner who "only" wanted it for a ranch truck said he was going to get the cab and hood restored and it was the best truck he ever had also.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I'm not being rude ('onest guv) but do you need a pick-up truck?
                      Well…no one really NEEDS a truck outside of work. I mean farmers and ranchers come to mind, but their personal and work vehicles are one and the same. Others think that they require trucks to haul their campers and trailer, but they don’t need those either.

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                      I had the same thought in mind but a look at his profile warrants that he is probably an ideal candidate for buying a pick-up
                      Thanks Knaur, I do have uses for a truck. It’s not just so I can sit up 12 inches higher than the next guy.

Originally posted by omon View Post
                      what you what to look for, is allison tranny, it is much stronger than gm hydromatic.
                      Ya, I would get an Allison omon, but it’s only offered with the big 6.6L diesel with GM vehicles, and I think that would be huge overkill.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      Just to be serious, I know someone who lives in Washington State and he uses a Ford F-250 diesel for both work and play. He said it's the best damn truck ever.
                      I’m a little leery of the Ford pick-ups, if you look through the for-sale sections, 80% of the trucks are Ford, that can’t be good.

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                      Make sure that if you get a 4X4 that it has a LOW gear setting ALSO. Without hat low range you will NOT have cross-country capability. It's okay on an icy road when you are going slow. But for any heavy stuff (like pulling somebody else out of the snow) you NEED that low range.
                      Absolutely Rusty, that low-gear is HUGE. Fortunately all of the pick-ups from the big-three up here come with this option.

Yes. They are gas guzzlers. Don't you care about the planet? Global warming? You will need to plant acres of trees just to offset your carbon emission.
                      I don’t NEED a truck, but I do want one, and I do have uses for a truck specifically. It is something this small town Alberta boy has wanted since he was small. It was one of the few things that dragged my butt through the dark days of engineering over the last 5 years…one day you’ll get that truck.

As a graduating engineering student, I understand the global warming and emission problems better than most. However, that’s not going to prevent me from getting a truck (and paying the price at the pump too…) maybe I don’t care, maybe I will offset my carbon footprint with other activities.

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
                      Buy one, Keeps employment up in our little town!! They do have the Flex fuel option - this keeps the tree huggers happy too!!:))
                      Lol…so true. It’s amazing what people will believe. Is synthetic fuel any better for the environment…better during combustion and worse during production…so in the end, probably not. But all they look at is the end user.

They say that the E85 will be available at every gas station located on the Trans Canada Highway in 3 years…will I or anyone else use it…I don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post

why buying a 4X4 WITHOUT a low gear setting?

for me a 4X4 must have;

1-a real chassis (not those monoblock/monocoque sh.ts)
                        2-low gear setting
                        3-limited slip differentials ( front, rear and central)
                        4-lockable hubs
                        5-good angles of approach and etc..
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Just to be serious, I know someone who lives in Washington State and he uses a Ford F-250 diesel for both work and play. He said it's the best damn truck ever. Takes biodiesel too if he can find some on the cheap.
                          It was actually found recently that over the whole growing cycle biodiesel pollutes more than regular diesel, but because most of the pollution happens during the growing process and not during using it to power the vehicle it is touted as greener.
                          In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                          The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

I’m a little leery of the Ford pick-ups, if you look through the for-sale sections, 80% of the trucks are Ford, that can’t be good.
                            You are wrong. Ford has the best selling truck (F-150) for 20 years. Ford Ranger is also in the best selling list. If you see a lot of Ford Trucks on sale, its because they sold a lot of them in the past years.

I heard 3rd generation tundra is also good, and yes they are manufactured in the Americas :)
                            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

In snow country, especially rarely plowed country (ie, my driveway), trucks are a must to get around. You need the height and weight to punch through the snow.

Comment

Working...
                              X