Do Americans respect a uniform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Americans respect a uniform?

South Africans seem to respect the police to a degree but seldom our military.

Britain is in the middle of a heated debate after Wittering :

Thought Leader » Michael Trapido » Do South Africans respect a uniform?

Sorry about replying to my own - Do your guys wear their uniforms while off duty or is it dangerous?

Comment

Police or military? Neither is dangerous. Why would it be?
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Either or....not because it's dangerous but because of derision or antagonism they may experience.

Comment

Only thing is that you meet a Sgt-Maj you don't know and he criticizes your uniform.

Comment

:) O of E when I got my first pass out (furlough) during artillery basics I was so nervous they would cancel it I saluted a one pip Lieut with my left hand.

He nearly jumped out of his skin - you could see the veins throbbing in his temple!

Comment

Story that went around 101 (What we called NDHQ). Then Chief of Defence Staff Air Force General Jean Boyle went into the elevator with a young Army Cpl. His shoes were not exactly up to par. Don't know if it was an AF thing trying to muster grief on an army guy. Gen Boyle was giving the young Cpl enough grief to make the Yalu look like a creek. A Chief Warrant Officer walked in the elevator.

"Chief, do you see the Cpl's shoes? Don't you feel that it's a shame. He's shaming the uniform."

"Corporal, you will return to your desk now and I expect you to see me in 10 minutes with your shoes shined so that I can see my face."

The CWO then turned to face the grinning General. "Sir, your cuflings are upside down. I trust that you will have that corrected by this afternoon."

Comment

Brilliant!

Don't worry our ncos were also tyrants (I was a bombardier).

We used to love telling our troops that we weren't officers - we worked for our money.

Comment

Remove the "blackplaque" and deposite in pocket. However some have their names embroidered as well but they are a bit more diffacult to read unless upclose.;)
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Military uniforms - for most Americans yes they do respect the uniform but there are always certain areas and of course people everywhere where this is not the case and hostility will be be directed towards the wearer.

Law Enforcement uniforms - very very little respect. Everyone hates the cops (usually over something stupid like because they got a ticket or because a cop took their skateboard away when they were 10 because they skated in an area where skating is not allowed, etc)until they are robbed/attacked/raped, have a medical emergency, get in a car accident, etc then the cops are the first people they call ... go figure

I honestly think that cops are the most hated occupation on Earth :(

Comment

I find it ridiculous that military men and women serving their country, have to fight the enemy and people (don't forget the media)back home.

They don't make the call they simply answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                        Military uniforms - for most Americans yes they do respect the uniform but there are always certain areas and of course people everywhere where this is not the case and hostility will be be directed towards the wearer.
                        I respect the military because people join 1) to see the world 2) to get a direction in life 3) believe strongly about serving the country. They sure didn't join for the high pay, the fringe benefits, and the cushy pension.

Law Enforcement uniforms - very very little respect. Everyone hates the cops (usually over something stupid like because they got a ticket or because a cop took their skateboard away when they were 10 because they skated in an area where skating is not allowed, etc)until they are robbed/attacked/raped arm yourselves, the police is here to enforce the law, they have no obligation to prevent you from harm , have a medical emergency paramedics, get in a car accident fire department/paramedics/tow truck , etc then the cops are the first people they call ... go figure

I don't like the cops because a lot of them joined for the power trip. There are some who genuinely believe in serving the people, but come on, they are unionized, cushy pension, and lots of fringe benefits.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Traps View Post
                          I find it ridiculous that military men and women serving their country, have to fight the enemy and people (don't forget the media)back home.

They don't make the call they simply answer it.
                          Thats because some of the public (not all mind you) are confused by such words as "popular" and "unpopular" (fancy politician and media words) never to be confused with right and wrong. Whats right is not always "popular" and whats wrong is not always "unpopular".

A simple twisting of words can spell a media disaster.
                          Bless our troops no matter the branch.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Law Enforcement uniforms - very very little respect. Everyone hates the cops (usually over something stupid like because they got a ticket or because a cop took their skateboard away when they were 10 because they skated in an area where skating is not allowed, etc)until they are robbed/attacked/raped, have a medical emergency, get in a car accident, etc then the cops are the first people they call ... go figure

Everybody has had a bad encounter or knows of someone who has with the cops. It's the availability heuristic. The most powerful things that shape people's perception of police are the most mundane, such as stop-and-frisks, getting pulled over, getting your car searched, being ordered out of your car, etc.
                            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Ironduke - that's the world over. Our Metros (traffic cops) are always on the end of abuse be it in parliament, media or just out on the roads,

Shame :)

Comment

Working...
                              X