Cartridge: NATO, 5.56x45
    Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt with 2 lugs
    Magazine capacity, rds: 30
    Length, mm: overall: 943; w/folded stock: 700;
    Barrel lenght: 415 mm
    Sighting range,m: 1000
    Weight, g: 3,400
    Rate of fire, rds/min: 600

This "new-generation" Kalashnikov has the same old "AK-47" design with some improvements, and designed for world weapons market. Using NATO 5.56 cartridges, this device must show quite good capabilities.

---
    http://strategypage.com/dls/articles/20030423.asp

In the last few years, yet another generation of AKs have appeared, aimed mainly at the export market. All of them weigh 7.5 pounds empty. The AK-101 uses the NATO 5.56mm round and is basically an improved AKS-74. The Russian weapons 5.56mm weapons are cheaper than M-16s (or their many clones) and the AK-103 is a step up in performance for armies using the AK-47 (and perhaps have a lot of AK-47 ammo on hand.)

Russia has always serviced the low end of the small arms market. Their weapons are rugged, reliable and not the most accurate. Especially in the hands of poorly trained troops. But if you want to arm a lot of people cheaply, Russia has an AK for you at an attractive price. Plus some pricier and more effective weapons for your personal bodyguard.

---

http://club.guns.ru/eng/ak100.htm

The Kalashnikovs in 5.56 x 45 mm were created exclusively for export. As a matter of fact, firing the NATO ammunition, AK-101 and AK-102 showed the results noticeably better than 5.45 x 39 mm. First, the case of a 5.56 round is by 6 mm longer and provides propulsion about 20 % greater. Second, quality of cartridge components including propellant, primer and projectile is evidently superior. The geometry of the longer NATO case with least difference between the diameter of the case body and the bullet results in better fire accuracy. Hence, the hit probability as well as the accuracy potential of AK-101 is 22 - 23 % higher than those of the AK74M. Now having the Kalashnikovs in 5.56 x 45 mm IZHMASH seems to be ready to deal with those clients who were traditionally controlled by Western arms suppliers. Anyway, if there is a demand, there must be an offer.

-----

It's a decent rifle with a decent range that is sold rather cheaply in bulk without questions being asked like who you will be using it on. It works and it spits out a lethal 5.56mm bullet at typical battlefield engagment ranges. It doesn't have frills but it works reliabily. It can fit the GP-25 and GP-30 grenade launchers. You can arm guys quickly as the gun is cheap and good enough for close range fire fights. It's a case of getting slightly more then you pay for.

Some pictures of AK-101s in action...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by troung; 17 Jan 05,, 07:13.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Well the gun is reliable and can't really beat the prices...

What do you others think of what is a basically 5.56mm AK-74 called the AK-101?
    Attached Files
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

I'm partial to the AK-103 myself. Same thing as an AK-101, fires 7.62x39 ammo.

AK-103:

Caliber, mm: 7.62x39
      Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt with 2 lugs
      Magazine capacity, rds: 30
      Length, mm: overall: 943; w/folded butt 700;
      Barrel Length, mm: 415
      Sighting range,m: 1000
      Machine gun weight, g: 3,400
      Rate of fire, rds/min: 600
      Attached Files
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Ironman;

Great to hear from you.

----

Well the Russians have a nice little series which is making some money in some corners of the planet. The 5.45mm round is not very common outside the CIS unlike the 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm.

The AK-103 makes a nice AK-47 replacement as it has a better range and such.

What makes the AK-101 a good system is that it is cheap, reliable and can enter say a poorer nations aresnal that uses a 5.56mm system already. Also it has more accuracy then the 7.62mm and 5.45mm models.

In Indonesia the Brimob bought it as a low cost M-16A1 replacement in a bulk buy over the locally made FN-FNC. In fact it was half to price of the locally made FNC. Yeah the AK-101 is not as accurate over distance firing as many other 5.56mm rifles but it should more then do the job at 300 meters.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm partial to the AK-103 myself. Same thing as an AK-101, fires 7.62x39 ammo.

AK-103:
          I agree with Ironman, I prefer the 7.62x39 over the 5.56.

-----

AK-101:
          Calibre, mm: 5.56
          Muzzle velocity, m/s: 910
          Sighting range, m: 1000
          Magazine capacity, rounds: 30
          Mass of bullet, g: 4.0
          Mass of assault rifle, w/o magazine: 0.23

AK-103:
          Calibre, mm: 7.62
          Muzzle velocity, m/s: 715
          Sighting range, m: 1000
          Magazine capacity, rounds: 30
          Mass of bullet, g: 7.9
          Mass of assault rifle, w/o magazine: 0.25

Probably, in my opinion, one of the most attractive guns in the world.

-----

I believe a modified version of the AK-100 series is in use with internal GRU units., some of which had extensive trialing in the latest Chechyan campaigns.

More Information: http://www.russianarms.info/rushtm/b...mat/books4.htm

Comment

Besides going full auto and 100% foreign parts, are ther any major differences between the AK101 and the SAR 3 imported from Romania?
            Is the reciever on the AK 101 machined or stamped?
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Site: http://www.centuryarms.com/manuals/sar1c.pdf

An interesting site regarding the SAR 3. In my opinion the SAR 3 is of much lower quality than the Ak-100 series, also much more recoil is evident in the SAR 3, whilst the Ak-100 series manages to keep the recoil to a bearable level. But still impressive for one of the first attempts by the Romanians to achieve sucess in the world export markets.

Comment

Thanks severnaya.

I picked up a couple of SAR 3s just before our silly gun ban went into effect. They were about $170.00 at the time. I was kind of afraid about the rumers of banning importation of the 7.62x39 ammo. I felt that as long as our military is using the 5.56 the ammo should be plentyfull and cheap. Neither one of my SAR 3s would never win a beauty contest, but they have taken the abuse without a single malfunction. They were cheap to buy and are cheap to shoot. I have even used one for deer hunting during the latter part of hunting season. Pouring rain, windy and muddy in the woods. I limit my shots to under 50 yards and only do head shots with it. It is nice to have a rifle that I dont have to worry about getting scratched and beat up in the bushes and thickets.
                Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

"I agree with Ironman, I prefer the 7.62x39 over the 5.56. "

They're both mediocre, but at least the 5.56 lets you reach out and touch someone. ;)

Comment

I had been waiting for you to jump in a give an opinion about the weapon :)

Comment

You know me, if it starts with "AK", i probably don't have a very high opinion of it. ;)

Hehehe.

Comment

Ah some things I can just be sure of ;)

But for what it is worth it does sound like a better idea then the SR-47 or SR-74 thats just in my humble opinion....

Comment

hmmm...

Just a quick question...

Can the AK-103 use AK47/AKM mags or does it only use those new redesigned magazines?

Comment

Originally posted by giggitynizz View Post
                            hmmm...

Just a quick question...

Can the AK-103 use AK47/AKM mags or does it only use those new redesigned magazines?

Hmm, just a quick question... mind going over to the introduction forum and introducing yourself?
                            In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                            The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                              Hmm, just a quick question... mind going over to the introduction forum and introducing yourself?
                              Stan187, I like your style!:)
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
                              X