Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PFC Blueskid finally found out what he'll be doing in Iraq.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFC Blueskid finally found out what he'll be doing in Iraq.

He's been assigned to the Colonel's Personal Security Detachment. I've been talking to some ex-Army guys that are now contractors working for me, and they all seem to think he's got a good deal. Hope so. I have no idea if he'll be any safer than if he were down in the squadrons/troops, but I bet he gets to do a bigger variety of stuff and will see and go to more interesting places.

He also got an invitation to West Point's Prep Skool. He intends to submit his app just before the Regiment returns to Vilseck in November. Hopefully by then, he'll have a whole bunch o' Army fun under his belt, and maybe he can get a good Letter of Recommendation from the CO.

So, about a week to go before he's on the plane. Things look purty good for him. I think somebody in his chain is watching out for him, and steering him towards a good path. Not sure who that is, but I'm grateful.

OK, since the titles are usually cut off, all I saw was PFC Blueskid finally found?!

It does sound like a very interesting job.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
    sigpic

Comment

bluesman Reply

God bless your family and good luck to that young trooper. I look forward to reading of his safe return. He sounds like a great academy candidate through the prep school program.:)

I wish him godspeed back to mom and dad and a job well-done.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The Kid is going Officer?

How ever will he live it down?

Seriously though, which discipline is he aiming for? Engineering, Science, Mathematics?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Seriously though, which discipline is he aiming for? Engineering, Science, Mathematics?
          Or maybe the good old-fashioned "Blow Sh-t Up" discipline?

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Chemistry?

Excuse me but knowing what mixes you and Bluesman and others came up with at Tikiwiki, I will NOT have PFC Bluesman coming up to me with a co*cktail.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              Chemistry?

Excuse me but knowing what mixes you and Bluesman and others came up with at Tikiwiki, I will NOT have PFC Bluesman coming up to me with a co*cktail.
              Hey I was being helpful in the kitchen making shish kabobs (Dalem was cutting up the vittles, I was skewering them OCD-style.)

It was Bluesman that was making the witches brew and leading the drinking group in the window-rattling battle cry:

"TIKI! TIKI! TIKI!"
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Check out THIS troopah!
                Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if the USMA thang is a 'go' or not. He may not be so inclined, and I'm not gonna push him in any direction. He's a man now, and he'll decide his life's course. I'll be proud of him no matter.

He's purty jazzed about getting Over There, and he seems to have his 'tude on straight. I hope he's tuff enuff; the Cav is HARD, and they don't like a whiner. In Rose Barracks, over there in Germany, he's been all a young private SHOULD be, and he's compared favorably to a few typical youngsters that can't get themselves together. He doesn't get 'smoked' by his squad leader, but a lot of others do. Sounds like he's got his headspace within tolerances.

I like that he seems to be impressing the right people. When he first got there, he was selected for Regimental HQ, probably because somebody thought that would be easiest and better for him. He didn't want that, though, and when he let it be known that he didn't join so he could goldbrick in Germany, they got him lined up for his combat tour, BUT they arranged for ANOTHER 'good deal'. I appreciate that there's somebody pulling a string for him, and setting him up for success.

Shek, Mike C, your old classmate and my buddy from SOCOM (dalem, you met him at the ball game and at Tiki Tiki) said that West Point was MISERABLE, and he'd never do it again, especially knowing now what was in his future. How 'bout YOU - bad ride, never would've said 'I accept', had you known what was coming?

His g/f came over to spend a week with him, and apparently it was a GREAT trip. Which is AWESOME, because we LOVE young Miss Alice. Our plans for an eventual dynastic marriage is well-advanced and proceeding nicely.

ANYhoo, the newbies were all told that since they were deploying soon, they could all go and get their Stetsons (no spurs until he does his 'spur ride', a grand Cavalry tradition). He and his mates were down at clothing sales as soon as they got off work, buying their hats.:))

Sleepy; gotta go. Later, folks.

Comment

No spurs? A cav scout feels naked parading with no spurs! ;)

Best of luck to the young private, his parents have all the reason in the world to be proud.
                    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Good luck to the lad. The Blues family will now experience that mixture of pride and worry that is the lot of all those parents whose sons (and daughters these days) go to foreign parts in time of peril.
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Vilseck, huh? Then PFC Bluesman & myself have certainly "notionally" fought & bled over that same piece of real estate.

& I wish him luck in earning his spurs. I sure hope that they don't just hand them to him...there's some bragging rights & sense of accomlishment involved.
                        If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Skull6 View Post
                          . I wish him luck in earning his spurs. I sure hope that they don't just hand them to him...there's some bragging rights & sense of accomlishment involved.
                          No they don't just hand them over that's for sure. My Regiment is affiliated with kidBlues' Regiment and 20yrs ago Senior Ranks of 1RTR were invited to compete in the SpurRide. It was 3 days of hell. Assault Courses, Runs, Command Tasks and other torture not recommended for sensitive ears. Afterwards, we has the honour of being awarded our Spurs.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            No they don't just hand them over that's for sure. My Regiment is affiliated with kidBlues' Regiment and 20yrs ago Senior Ranks of 1RTR were invited to compete in the SpurRide. It was 3 days of hell. Assault Courses, Runs, Command Tasks and other torture not recommended for sensitive ears. Afterwards, we has the honour of being awarded our Spurs.
                            geez I had forgotten about that Dave, still have the "coin" also
                            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                              Shek, Mike C, your old classmate and my buddy from SOCOM (dalem, you met him at the ball game and at Tiki Tiki) said that West Point was MISERABLE, and he'd never do it again, especially knowing now what was in his future. How 'bout YOU - bad ride, never would've said 'I accept', had you known what was coming?
                              Different folks have different memories. While it certainly wasn't as fun as a regular college was, I didn't find it to be miserable except for some short spells. I didn't have some of the distractions others had (e.g., a steady girlfriend to try and placate) and didn't struggle with the academics, so I'm sure that had a large bearing on my outlook.

I'm sure that Blueskid wouldn't have any problems with the academics given his pedigree, and so I suspect that he would have a much more positive experience. On the other hand, having served and being a little older than most of his classmates, he may find it difficult to have been on his own and then be back in a situation where he's like a private again to a degree.

In the end, I think that with most experiences, it's what you make of it, although with the West Point experience, if you get behind early, you're always playing catch up and that can be hard.

Lastly, since you're not committed until the first day of classes your junior year, I think that it's one of those opportunities that is best tried if it's available so that you don't have to have any regrets down the road. My plebe when I was a 2nd year cadet was prior service, did USMAPS, and then left after the 1st semester (even though he was kicking tail) because it just wasn't him. I just had a senior foreign service officer speak to my classes after finishing up a year tour as an embedded PRT team leader in Iraq (a pretty amazing story, he had started out his career working for CORDS in Vietnam), and he had spent a year here and then left because he decided that serving overseas with the State Department was more in line with what he wanted to do as opposed to using the Army as his vehicle to serve the US overseas.
                              Last edited by Shek; 05 Mar 08,, 21:19.
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                              X