• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News on the Muslim World

Survey challenges myths about Islam

Karin Zeitvogel,
    Washington
    February 28, 2008

A HUGE survey of the world's Muslims challenges Western notions that equate Islam with radicalism and violence.

The survey, conducted by the Gallup polling agency over six years in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, seeks to dispel the belief held by some in the West that Islam itself is the driving force of radicalism.

It shows that the overwhelming majority of Muslims condemned the attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001, and other subsequent terrorist attacks, the authors said in Washington.

Dalia Mogahed, co-author of the book Who Speaks for Islam?, which grew out of the study, said: "Religion is an important part of life for the overwhelming majority of Muslims, and if it were indeed the driver for radicalisation, this would be a serious issue."

The study showed that widespread religiosity "does not translate into widespread support for terrorism", said Ms Mogahed, director of the Gallup Centre for Muslim Studies.

About 93% of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims are moderates and only 7% are politically radical, according to the poll, based on more than 50,000 interviews.

In majority Muslim countries, overwhelming majorities said religion was a very important part of their lives — 99% in Indonesia, 98% in Egypt, 95% in Pakistan. But only 7% of the Muslims surveyed — the radicals — condoned the attacks on the US on September 11, 2001, the poll found.

Moderate Muslims interviewed condemned the attacks because innocent lives were lost and civilians killed.

"Some actually cited religious justifications for why they were against 9/11, going as far as to quote from the Koran — for example, the verse that says taking one innocent life is like killing all humanity," Ms Mogahed said. Radical Muslims gave political, not religious, reasons for condoning the attacks, the poll showed.

The survey shows radicals to be neither more religious than their moderate counterparts, nor products of abject poverty or refugee camps.

"The radicals are better educated, have better jobs, and are more hopeful with regard to the future than mainstream Muslims," said John Esposito, who co-wrote Who Speaks for Islam?"Ironically, they believe in democracy even more than many of the mainstream moderates do, but they're more cynical about whether they'll ever get it," said Dr Esposito, a professor of Islamic studies at Georgetown University in Washington.

Gallup launched the study following the 9/11 attacks, after which US President George Bush said: "They hate … a democratically elected government."

But the poll found that most Muslims, including radicals, admire the West for its democracy, freedoms and technological prowess. What they do not want is Western ways forced on them. Muslims want self-determination, not an American-imposed democracy.

AFP

Survey challenges myths about Islam - World - theage.com.au

Who Speaks for Islam?

I would like to know more about the specific questions & methods used, but I'm not especially surprised by this. I have never bought into the whole 'Muslims are totally different from us' line that has become recieved wisdom in some quarters. It owes a lot to the successful propaganda of radicals & misunderstanding of what Muslims mean when they criticize the West than it does to reality.

This study will no doubt come in for furious criticism from those who have convinced themselves about the inevitable 'clash of civilizations' & all that tripe. I prefer to see it as more proof that if the West approaches Islamic societies intelligently & with respect we will achieve infinitely more than if we approach them with arrogance & force.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

The survey, conducted by the Gallup polling agency over six years in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, seeks to dispel the belief held by some in the West that Islam itself is the driving force of radicalism.

So they started with a conclusion and took years collecting 'evidence' to 'prove' themselves right. Sounds like a very modern bit of political doublespeak to me!
    About 93% of the world's 1.3 billion Muslims are moderates and only 7% are politically radical,

I suggest 7% of 1.3 billion is a not inconsiderable number. Thats about 1 in every 14.

I would like to know more about the specific questions & methods used, but I'm not especially surprised by this. I have never bought into the whole 'Muslims are totally different from us' line that has become recieved wisdom in some quarters. It owes a lot to the successful propaganda of radicals & misunderstanding of what Muslims mean when they criticize the West than it does to reality.

This study will no doubt come in for furious criticism from those who have convinced themselves about the inevitable 'clash of civilizations' & all that tripe. I prefer to see it as more proof that if the West approaches Islamic societies intelligently & with respect we will achieve infinitely more than if we approach them with arrogance & force.
    Quid pro quo. The Islamic world can also attempt to approach the West with intelligence and respect. Having their half-witted devotees detonate themselves willy nilly shows neither quality.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
      I suggest 7% of 1.3 billion is a not inconsiderable number. Thats about 1 in every 14
      Well, yes, that would be 91 million people who wish you ill, most of them probably living in Britain. That is however a great deal better than 1.3billion. Well it's a start isn't it?
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        Well, yes, that would be 91 million people who wish you ill, most of them probably living in Britain. That is however a great deal better than 1.3billion. Well it's a start isn't it?
        Indeed it is young Harry! I see you have heeded Monty Pythons dictum and looked on the bright side of life.:)
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          I would criticize its conclusions only based on the fact that there is no corresponding evidence to support them in the real world. Who's doing the killing? Muslims. Who's trying to carve out their own legal enclaves in countries they've moved to? Muslims. Who's marching and rioting in the streets at the slightest perceived slight to their religion? Mulsims? Who's not marching in the streets in counter to any of the things I listed? Muslims.

-dale

Comment

Only about 1% of Americans are in the US military. No big deal, then, right?

Ah, but we all (all non-Democrats, I mean; you know, REAL Americans) love our troops and support 'em, and (mostly) support them in their missions and endeavors.

So, really, the American military is just a small part of the USA, so what's to worry about if you're a beastly dictator and you've got your eye on a nice piece of real estate that in a narrow, technical sense doesn't actually belong to you?

Those Muslims that do NOT consider themselves radical: would I consider them as arrayed against my interests? Do THEY believe their interests and allegiances lie with their co-religionists, or are they likely to see the fanatics as dangerous enough to help an infidel police force to protect their adopted society?

The problem isn't even their number, whatever that may be (and I submit that it is unknowable). It's their DOGMA and DOCTRINE, and whether they consider themselves superior, and in possession of a god-given right - no, a DUTY - to try to wage agressive and indiscriminate war on anything that doesn't conform to their beliefs.

And that's what Islamism is, whether the moronic and blind among us want to acknowledge it or not. As long as the fanatics believe in the concept that the world must be conquered and brought to its knees before their veangeful and bloodthirsty god, it simply won't matter WHAT we want to fool ourselves into believing, because the fact is, there IS a wolf at the door.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
              I would criticize its conclusions only based on the fact that there is no corresponding evidence to support them in the real world. Who's doing the killing? Muslims. Who's trying to carve out their own legal enclaves in countries they've moved to? Muslims. Who's marching and rioting in the streets at the slightest perceived slight to their religion? Mulsims? Who's not marching in the streets in counter to any of the things I listed? Muslims.

-dale
              Well said dalem. If you was the Archbishop of York there would be a fatwa coming your way.;) And breath of saying "muslim", in any derogatory way, would start a full scale riot here and in the end they get exactly what they want

Comment

Who's doing the killing?
                Afghanistan, Iraq...

Who's trying to carve out their own legal enclaves in countries they've moved to?
                Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Well said dalem. If you was the Archbishop of York there would be a fatwa coming your way.;) And breath of saying "muslim", in any derogatory way, would start a full scale riot here and in the end they get exactly what they want
                  Bring on the fatwas. I have many bullets.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by neyzen View Post
                    Afghanistan, Iraq...

Afghanistan, Iraq...
                    You're right - Muslims have done the vast majority of the killing in both of those places, for Allah.

Good call.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by neyzen View Post
                      Afghanistan, Iraq...

Afghanistan, Iraq...
                      Muslims, killing other Muslims.

The US keeping them apart.

Comment

You're right - Muslims have done the vast majority of the killing in both of those places, for Allah.

Good call.
                        -dale
                        they have been doing it with low intensity weapons, they dont have tanks, helicopters etc....i think if you did a corresponding survey you'd find most people think they are many years behind a technologically superior West.
                        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

It is honour to kill / to die for motherland. It is shame / opprobrium to kill / to die for benefits of small coteries.

Muslims, killing other Muslims.

The US keeping them apart.
                          It is their country mate, it is their right to kill/die. Maybe, we should help to keep them apart. But we know no one cares when they kill each others. Even a small brain can conceive that " you kill each other so I am allowed to devour you" is really bad logic.

Worst thing is people know what is good or what is bad... "Who's trying to carve out their own legal enclaves in countries they've moved to?" they simply tend to understand how mass media introduce...

Comment

-dale
                            who leads a war in iraq only for oil ??
                            who kills inocents every day in palestine ??
                            who reprinted cartoons about other prophets ??

i am against terrorism but instead of blaming 1.3 muslims about terrorism u can look back in history for the reasons wich drove some of them into the way of terrorism

Comment

Originally posted by zeus920 View Post
                              who leads a war in iraq only for oil ??
                              Shia religious parties with militias in order to control oil profits for their own selfish priorities.

Originally posted by zeus920
                              who kills inocents every day in palestine ??
                              Hamas and Fatah as they fight over control of Palestinian territories, and Hamas et al when they fire rockets into Israeli civilian areas.

who reprinted cartoons about other prophets ??
                              Free speech.

i am against terrorism but instead of blaming 1.3 muslims about terrorism u can look back in history for the reasons wich drove some of them into the way of terrorism
                              So should we absolve them of their crimes, i.e., two wrongs make a right, right?
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                              X