Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Just Coffee...

...Let's remember that, folks.

Since his return as Starbucks' chief executive, Howard Schultz has authored several "Transformation Agenda" memos very publicly heralding how the company will regain its former dominance in the world of specialty coffee drinks. But one nationwide strategy could provide a brief window of opportunity for Starbucks' competitors.

On Tuesday, Starbucks plans to close almost all of its 7,100 stores between 5:30 and 8:30 p.m. for an unprecedented education and training session for its employees. The event, according to Transformation Agenda Communication #6, "signals the company's focus on transforming the Starbucks experience" for both its customers and workers.

Coincidentally, Dunkin' Donuts has planned a special promotion offering 99-cent small lattes, cappuccinos and espresso drinks that overlaps with the event.

"We never want any customers to ever be denied access to their specialty drinks," said Frances Allen, Dunkin' Donuts' brand marketing officer. "It's definitely a fortuitous time for us."

Dunkin' Donuts representatives insist that the promotion -- which is between 1 p.m. and 10 p.m. -- is really a celebration of last week's announcement that the company had taken first place in the coffee category of Brand Keys' Annual Customer Loyalty Engagement Index. This was the second year in a row that Dunkin' Donuts took the top spot in the New York consulting firm's survey.

"It's a way of saying, 'thank you,' and giving back and recognizing the value of our customers and giving them something back," Allen said. "We think we will have a lot of participation. We may even introduce some new people to Dunkin' Donuts'."

Starbucks didn't appear too concerned about Dunkin' Donuts 99-cent promotion.

"We want Starbucks to be the preferred destination for high-quality espresso and service," the spokeswoman said. "We are confident that our customers will understand this and that this is an investment in their experience through better quality beverages and services."

During Tuesday's training session, baristas will learn updated quality standards for "pulling the perfect espresso shot, skillfully creating steamed and foamed milk for every beverage and ensuring that every beverage and every experience is right for every customer, every time," the spokeswoman said.

Schultz has been attempting to reinvigorate the brand and refocus the company on the strengths that led to its rise, experts said. In addition to closing underperforming stores, the company announced that it will quit making hot breakfast sandwiches.

Starbucks has been conducting its transformation very publicly -- the "open and honest," position, said Robert Passikoff, founder and president of Brand Keys Inc., a Manhattan-based market-research firm. But he questioned the strategy of announcing the training sessions and the three-hour store closings.

"With brands as fragile and undifferentiated as they are, you don't need to call attention to your deficiencies," Passikoff said. "What you want to do is continual improvement. . . . Let people be surprised. I just don't think you want to do anything that erodes the brand equity or causes people to even consider going to a competitor."
    Linked Here
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Oh how I loathe Starbucks - The only thing they serve is global Inequalicinno latte, with extra whipped exploitation cream.

I'd rather just make my own coffee, thanks.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Starbucks

I believe that is Nisqually Indian for bilge water
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Don't drink coffee - gave up donuts.
        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
          Don't drink coffee - gave up donuts.
          Okay, now you've gone too far!!
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
            Oh how I loathe Starbucks - The only thing they serve is global Inequalicinno latte, with extra whipped exploitation cream.

I'd rather just make my own coffee, thanks.
            Their customers would appear to have more money than sense! As Arkwright from 'Open All Hours' cried "'Ow much?"
            Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I am so glad I don't drink coffee.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                I am so glad I don't drink coffee.

-dale
                More for the rest of us!!!
                Mark Twain

Comment

I Gotta Do This

My mexican mocha recipe would floor these guys... and you. Three 20 oz.ers a day cause I can't help myself they're sooo good.

Coffee, chocolate, and cinnamon are tough to beat.

Love coffee.
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I drink about 3 cups of coffee a day. Make mine with a vanilla and toffee creamer! Mmmmm gooooood! Who needs starbucks. OK, when I get a gift certificate, I do!
                    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                    sigpic

Comment

Strong black coffee for me. If you can see through the pot - dump it out and do it right!!

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
                        Strong black coffee for me. If you can see through the pot - dump it out and do it right!!
                        Just put the coffee grinds in your mouth and take a big swig of hot water. That should do the trick!!
                        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                        "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                        sigpic

Comment

I tried the nearest Starbucks once. It sucked compared to one of the local independant coffee shops I frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
                            I drink about 3 cups of coffee a day. Make mine with a vanilla and toffee creamer! Mmmmm gooooood! Who needs starbucks. OK, when I get a gift certificate, I do!

I drink about 3 cups of coffee to get my eyes open in the morning.

Best coffee. Any Navy chiefs mess. Nobody make good strong coffee like the US Navy:)

As TexasJohn said If you can see through the pot dump it out.

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn
                              Couldn't have said it any better.

Comment

Working...
                              X