Great Britain and France Declare War on USSR in 1939

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Britain and France Declare War on USSR in 1939

When the Third Reich invaded Poland in 1939, war was declared on Germany by GB and France, now what would have happened if they had declared war on the Soviet Union after their invasion of Poland 2 weeks later?

now i know this would never have happened due to the fact that at the time the USSR invaded Poland was a lost cause and the allies had enough trouble on their hands with Germany. It just makes for a good lengthy debate :))
    Now That Just Stupid

You got a stutter ?
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

???

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
      You got a stutter ?
      if you are refering to the fact that i sent the same post out 3 times then that was a technical fault in my computer, i dont know what that is tho
      Now That Just Stupid

Comment

War with the USSR was a distinct possibility in 39 early 40. The Soviet Union was seen as an ally of the Hitlerites and an enemy of Democratic Finland. The problem for the UK.France is of course is doing anything of any means to the USSR. When Germany takes Norway Finland is cut off. Plus the UK does not want to anger the reds to much lest the bear fall on the Middle East.

Comment

IIRC, the UK and France were actually on the verge of conducting a bombing raid on Soviet oil fields from their bases in the ME around then.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

It is an interesting scenario, Danowest ... the Soviets had been left out of the Munich peace conference during the Czech crisis, and in April 1939 the Brits and French did effectively fob off an attempt to ally with them ...
            Last edited by clackers; 27 Feb 08,, 06:36.

Comment

If France and GB had declared war on the USSR The US would of entered the war sooner because the british would of been even more strapped for men and supplies as they were when the americans finally decided to join.
              it would of been unwinnable

Comment

Working...
              X