PDA

View Full Version : Canada leaves Afghanistan in 2011

Exarecr
21 Feb 08,, 17:10
It's final. We quit the field beginning in the summer of 2011 and to me it looks like we are giving in to public pressure and political cowardice. We should stay until the job is done. Brutal cave-in to special interests I do believe.

Officer of Engineers
21 Feb 08,, 18:06
What kind of BS is this? Not you, Exarecr, but the motion. It only says we have to leave Khandahar by 2011, not Afghanistan. Beautiful, so where should we go? Next door to Helmand. What a load of crock. So, the Brits and us change places.

Mobbme
21 Feb 08,, 19:55
Which means we'll have the afghani army controlling Khandahar by 2011 :) Sweet. Which country, I mean state ;), are we going to enter next?

Exarecr
21 Feb 08,, 19:56
What kind of BS is this? Not you, Exarecr, but the motion. It only says we have to leave Khandahar by 2011, not Afghanistan. Beautiful, so where should we go? Next door to Helmand. What a load of crock. So, the Brits and us change places.

Should have heard the P.M.s little speech. We will continue to go to the worlds trouble spots and what,leave when things get tough. I have this vision of more base closures and the continued practice of military rot once most of the sharp end has left Afghanistan. You know how it begins. Gee, since we are not in Afghanistan any more,lets get rid of 2 of those expensive C-17s,and since we can't airlift as many tanks now,well lets just sell them off to. And so it begins....again.

BarbaMitso
22 Feb 08,, 00:11
Is there any realistic chance of turning that country into what the West wants? I say no.

Are 1000 more NATO troops going to do much? Again, I say no.

I think Afghanistan is a lost cause and the present mission will end up as a failure. In order for it to be a success ALL of NATO has to be on the same page. Since they're not, there is no change of success.

rj1
22 Feb 08,, 13:36
To be fair to the Canadian government, that's three years from now. So they're not announcing they're leaving next month. That also means NATO and its constituent countries would've had troops in Afghanistan for nine years at that point. If the country is not stable enough at that point to function on its own without foreign troops, it probably never will be.

Canmoore
23 Feb 08,, 04:41
Oops I did not see that there was already a thread on this..

The way I see it, the government said that they would leave in 2009, now its 2011... Honestly, the politicians make these deadlines for the voters, in reality to win this mission you cannot package it and give it an expiry date..