PDA

View Full Version : Quebec's Language Nazis Strike again

Exarecr
18 Feb 08,, 00:34
Mckibbins Irish Pub,long time fixture and popular watering hole in downtown Montreal has caught the attention of the Office Quebecois de la Langue francaise(OFL). These are the Language Nazis of Quebec who hunt down displayed English verbiage with the boot stomping zeal that would have made Goebbels proud. The implements of their trade the ladder, pencil, and ruler as they seek to purge the Quebecois of this horrible visual assault upon their culture. The Irish Pub was to Irish,meaning they displayed Irish bits of culture folklore and posters not in French, but English. Just to add a little more stupidity to the whole situation, even had there been appropriate French representation on the Irish posters the French language would have had to be at least a quarter larger in size than the English words. They actually drive around Quebec measuring signs! Under a storm of criticism the OFL came out with this gem of a face saver,"If the owner writes and states these signs have historical value and thus deserve to be exempt from the charter, they (the OFL)will close the file. Hmmmm.Something about standing up to bullies comes to mind. Pathetic,kind of like the neverendum referendum these yahoo,s put Canada through every 10 years or so. Will it ever end?

T_igger_cs_30
18 Feb 08,, 00:38
Mckibbins Irish Pub,long time fixture and popular watering hole in downtown Montreal has caught the attention of the Office Quebecois de la Langue francaise(OFL). These are the Language Nazis of Quebec who hunt down displayed English verbiage with the boot stomping zeal that would have made Goebbels proud. The implements of their trade the ladder, pencil, and ruler as they seek to purge the Quebecois of this horrible visual assault upon their culture. The Irish Pub was to Irish,meaning they displayed Irish bits of culture folklore and posters not in French, but English. Just to add a little more stupidity to the whole situation, even had there been appropriate French representation on the Irish posters the French language would have had to be at least a quarter larger in size than the English words. They actually drive around Quebec measuring signs! Under a storm of criticism the OFL came out with this gem of a face saver,"If the owner writes and states these signs have historical value and thus deserve to be exempt from the charter, they (the OFL)will close the file. Hmmmm.Something about standing up to bullies comes to mind. Pathetic,kind of like the neverendum referendum these yahoo,s put Canada through every 10 years or so. Will it ever end?

Is this where old Gen Wolfe gets all the blame again :confused:

Exarecr
18 Feb 08,, 00:42
Is this where old Gen Wolfe gets all the blame again :confused:

Only in Quebec can the losers(plainly defeated)come out smelling like roses.

marklv
18 Feb 08,, 00:52
Give Quebec independence once and for all!!

T_igger_cs_30
18 Feb 08,, 00:54

They wont take it.... have it to good :biggrin:

Exarecr
18 Feb 08,, 01:04

What, have them work and lose those Government Pensions, contracts and the chance to puff out ones chest in self importance? That would be a distinctly stupid thing to do.

dave lukins
18 Feb 08,, 01:28
What, have them work and lose those Government Pensions, contracts and the chance to puff out ones chest in self importance? That would be a distinctly stupid thing to do.

Do I detect a tad of cynicism there ..Viva la FRa...Queb....Wolfe(T igger only!!):))

Exarecr
18 Feb 08,, 01:44
Do I detect a tad of cynicism there ..Viva la FRa...Queb....Wolfe(T igger only!!):))

To have cynicism in Canada over Quebec wouldn't exactly be a "unique" situation now would it. Uhggg, this is getting bad!

gunnut
18 Feb 08,, 03:16
Who's ruder than French? French Canadians.

crooks
18 Feb 08,, 12:04

I'd support them nuking the place - One less Irish pub in North America can only be a good thing.

They're the most infuriating places ever to go if you actually are Irish, having to explain you've never seen the gold at the end 'o the rainbow, you don't believe in Leprechauns, you live in a house, that you have a phone etc.

The only good thing about them is that they're like our embassies abroad, albiet embassies with copious amounts of alcohol ;) .

Plastic paddies, get a life!

smilingassassin
18 Feb 08,, 14:51

Not on your freaking life! They won't anyway, because the free meal ticket will be over.

Big K
19 Feb 08,, 09:28
and the The West is talking about "Freedom of Speech"...yes yes i see...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Canmoore
19 Feb 08,, 23:43
Who's ruder than French? French Canadians.

I hate this statement.. some are yes, but not all. I know of plenty rude English Canadians also.

chankya
20 Feb 08,, 00:04
What they are doing appears to be the natural conclusion of the the kind of protests in the US about Spanish. Perhaps they feel threatened too.

Further its fair to ask why those who rail against immigrants not assimilating into the host culture(which I think is a fair demand) have problems with the french canadians being upset with other people not assimilating into the dominant culture. Why should the french canadians not be able to walk down a street and be able to read signs in a language they can understand.

Eventually there is also the human factor. The law about the size of the lettering (and I'm guessing here based on the effect of a similar kind of law in an Indian state) might have been to ensure people didn't just add French in small print. If the people implementing it choose to do it the way they do(wandering around with rulers as you say) that's a different issue.

Canmoore
20 Feb 08,, 00:15
What they are doing appears to be the natural conclusion of the the kind of protests in the US about Spanish. Perhaps they feel threatened too.

Further its fair to ask why those who rail against immigrants not assimilating into the host culture(which I think is a fair demand) have problems with the french canadians being upset with other people not assimilating into the dominant culture. Why should the french canadians not be able to walk down a street and be able to read signs in a language they can understand.

Eventually there is also the human factor. The law about the size of the lettering (and I'm guessing here based on the effect of a similar kind of law in an Indian state) might have been to ensure people didn't just add French in small print. If the people implementing it choose to do it the way they do(wandering around with rulers as you say) that's a different issue.

Canada is officially has two languages. Why in places like B.C. where English and Chinese, followed by a whole host of other languages are more predominate than French, does french still need to be treated as an official language?

While in Quebec... Maudit tabernac!! if you ever see English!

This is much different than immigrants coming to this country. French first settled this land, than the British conquered and settled the land. French and English are the two cultures that defined this country.

dalem
20 Feb 08,, 01:01
Either the Arrogant Worms or the Royal Canadian Air Farce had a great skit on this very subject a few years ago. Language cop comes into a pub serving traditional English cousine. Good jokes on forced translations of Toad in the Hole, Bangers & Mash, and Spotted Dick.

-dale

Canmoore
20 Feb 08,, 01:37
Either the Arrogant Worms or the Royal Canadian Air Farce had a great skit on this very subject a few years ago. Language cop comes into a pub serving traditional English cousine. Good jokes on forced translations of Toad in the Hole, Bangers & Mash, and Spotted Dick.

-dale

rofl.. the arrogant worms are hilarious. I always get a laugh at there song Toronto sucks.

BarbaMitso
22 Feb 08,, 00:16
Quebec is a funny place.

They'd never go anywhere. Not unless they could take Alberta and Ontario taxpayers with them. Long live the "Have Not" provinces!

Canmoore
22 Feb 08,, 03:28
Quebec is a funny place.

They'd never go anywhere. Not unless they could take Alberta and Ontario taxpayers with them. Long live the "Have Not" provinces!

Indeed

Lunatock
23 Feb 08,, 15:53
I'd support them nuking the place - One less Irish pub in North America can only be a good thing.

They're the most infuriating places ever to go if you actually are Irish, having to explain you've never seen the gold at the end 'o the rainbow, you don't believe in Leprechauns, you live in a house, that you have a phone etc.

The only good thing about them is that they're like our embassies abroad, albiet embassies with copious amounts of alcohol ;) .

Plastic paddies, get a life!

What I like most of all, is people accusing me of being after their lucky charms.

smilingassassin
23 Feb 08,, 17:26
I hate this statement.. some are yes, but not all. I know of plenty rude English Canadians also.

Unfortunately from my perspective that notion sadly seems to be true. I've met a rare few French Canadians that are acctually willing to talk to me!
I went to Puerto Villarta once, and of all the Canadians there the French Canadians were the most withdrawn of the bunch, while those from Alberta were freaking party animals.

Canmoore
23 Feb 08,, 20:20
Unfortunately from my perspective that notion sadly seems to be true. I've met a rare few French Canadians that are acctually willing to talk to me!
I went to Puerto Villarta once, and of all the Canadians there the French Canadians were the most withdrawn of the bunch, while those from Alberta were freaking party animals.

I live near the Quebec border, I have many French Canadians in my family, and as friends.. they are ALL stand out people. My father was raised just outside of Sherbrook, Que. And my mother was raised in CFB Val'dor, Que.

Yes, there are arrogant French Canadian seperatists, however they do not represent every French Canadian. I really hate it when people lump French Canadians into one category..

crooks
23 Feb 08,, 23:38
I live near the Quebec border, I have many French Canadians in my family, and as friends.. they are ALL stand out people. My father was raised just outside of Sherbrook, Que. And my mother was raised in CFB Val'dor, Que.

Yes, there are arrogant French Canadian seperatists, however they do not represent every French Canadian. I really hate it when people lump French Canadians into one category..

I've met three Canadiens (as they prefered to be called) who I've became friends with, two students (now residents) here in Cork and another who I just got pally with on a trip to Montreal - all very, very cool, quite like the real French in that they were very laid back and funny....they also seemed to have nothing bad to say about Anglophonic Canadians, bar that they were dour and quite boring.

The ones in Cork could also suck up tequila shots like a fookin hoover :)) ;) !