Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey eases headscarf ban

Turkey eases ban on headscarves

Turkey's parliament has approved two constitutional amendments easing the ban on women wearing Islamic headscarves in universities.

The issue is deeply divisive in Turkey, where the state is strictly secular, and protests are expected.

The government said the ban meant many girls were being denied an education.

But the secular establishment, including generals and academics, see this as a first step to allowing Islam to figure more largely in public life.

Burka ban

Parliament voted 403-107 in favour of a first amendment, which will insert a paragraph into the constitution stating that everyone has the right to equal treatment from state institutions, Parliament Speaker Koksal Toptan was quoted by AP as saying.

MPs then backed by 403-108 votes a second amendment stating "no-one can be deprived of [his or her] right to higher education", AP said.

pposition parties said in advance of the vote that they would challenge the changes in the constitutional court if they were passed.

A strict headscarf ban had been in force in Turkish universities since 1997. The ban came after the staunchly secularist military had exerted pressure to oust a government it saw as too Islamist.

The changes state that only traditional scarves will be permitted in universities, tied loosely under the chin. Headscarves that cover the neck are still banned, as is the chador and the all-enveloping burka.

Ural Akbulut, rector of the Middle East Technical University, in Ankara, says the changes represent the imposition of religious beliefs into the constitution.

"We say it will damage secularity," he told the BBC. "Once you do that - we believe you damage democracy."

Missing out

The BBC's Sarah Rainsford says those who wear the headscarf dismiss that as paranoia.

They say the scarf is simply an expression of their personal religious belief.

As Turkey's population is predominantly Muslim, two-thirds of all Turkish women cover their heads, meaning thousands have been missing out on the opportunity to attend college. Many Turks argue that is unfair and there has been widespread public support for the move.

But tens of thousands of people who were against lifting the ban are expected to join protest rallies in the capital on Saturday.
    Source: BBC NEWS | Europe | Turkey eases ban on headscarves
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

and so slowly bit by bit the slope get ever more slipperier
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

All topics of discussion in the country are suspended, and everyone is talking only about the headscarf issue. It was already a touchy and divisive subject, and now it has become a focus of very heated argumentation.

Comment

If I'm not being too prying, what's your view of it Sir?
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

This regulation is not for the freedom of those who can not attend to the universities. This is one of the first steps of Islamic Revolution. There are thousands of girls who came with headscarves to the university door and they take off it then enter in the university. Aren't they muslim because of taking the headscarves off??? As i have said, it is directly related with the basic aim of Erdoğan Government.
          A Quotation from the Necmettin Erbakan, the one who was leader of Tayyip Erdoğan in 90's, would be more explanatory;
          "Sharia will come one day..I dont know if it will come with blood or not..But it will come"
          (At a meeting of his party, April 1997)
          sigpic

Comment

Nkaptan, merhaba:) naduhl-sunuz? Please go into Introductions and tell the WAB Members a little about yourself..lutfen:))

Comment

Originally posted by nkaptan View Post
              A Quotation from the Necmettin Erbakan, the one who was leader of Tayyip Erdoğan in 90's, would be more explanatory;
              "Sharia will come one day..I dont know if it will come with blood or not..But it will come"
              And then Turkey can take a nice leap backward into the 8th Century with the rest of the Sharia-adhering world.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

What a pity that would be, one of the few civilised moslem nations regressing.
                Wonder if maybe the trend would have slowed or stopped by speeding up entry into EU.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

What a pity that would be, one of the few civilised moslem nations regressing.
                  The ban was output of a soft coup. If it was regressing, reverse should be something else. for exp: freedom of religion, freedom of dressing...

Comment

Why do I get the impression that if a Muslim country banned people wearing Sikh turbans & bracelets , Jewish Yarmulkas or christian crosses from universities it would be taken as a sign of their lack of civilization?

Banning any of the above (and headscarves) in Australia would be unacceptable, as it should be. I have a simple rule. If it would be discrimination to do it to Jews (religious or otherwise) then it is not on for anyone else.

It seems that we are rapidly adopting a different set of standards when it comes to treatment of muslims than we do for other religious/ethnic minorities. Osama couldn't have planned it better if he'd tried.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                      Why do I get the impression that if a Muslim country banned people wearing Sikh turbans & bracelets , Jewish Yarmulkas or christian crosses from universities it would be taken as a sign of their lack of civilization?

Banning any of the above (and headscarves) in Australia would be unacceptable, as it should be. I have a simple rule. If it would be discrimination to do it to Jews (religious or otherwise) then it is not on for anyone else.

It seems that we are rapidly adopting a different set of standards when it comes to treatment of muslims than we do for other religious/ethnic minorities. Osama couldn't have planned it better if he'd tried.
                      You hit it right on the head. The west seems to have 2 sets of standards. One for muslims (they can do anything they want because otherwise we would be racist) and one for the rest of us.

I don't like to ban stuff. Women should be free to wear a head scarf if they want. Like wise, women should be able to wear low cut jeans with their underwear exposed. But we know the "head scarf" group will eventually move in to remove the "low cut jeans" group.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                        Nkaptan, merhaba:) naduhl-sunuz?
                        dave...how many languages do you speak on a good day sir? I'm still trying angrezi.

btw is 'merhaba' welcome ? Strange its almost the same in urdu(hindi?). Just a slight change - marhaba.

Comment

"merhaba" is hello in turkish. word is orginally persian.

"marhaba" in hindu can be read as "merhaba" in turkish.

Comment

Thanks matey...I'll surprise the Turkish corner shop fellow tomorrow. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
                              Thanks matey...I'll surprise the Turkish corner shop fellow tomorrow. :)
                              Good on you Samundra..add to that "Nasuhl-sunuz"(how are you?):)

Comment

Working...
                              X